suede belts

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by forex, Jul 4, 2008.

1. forex

forex Senior member

I am in the market for brown and beige suede belts,looking for something dressier,can anyone make suggestions? Trying to keep the budget under $100.
    thanks!

2. binge

binge Senior member

I bought this Allen-Edmonds Cashmere-Suede Belt from SierraTradingPost about 2 months ago and have been rather happy with it.

Perfect match for dark brown suede shoes. Here's me wearing it.:
    [​IMG]

3. forex

forex Senior member

thanks binge,I've seen that belt,it's quite nice. The only problem is that STP doesn't have my size,any ideas where it could be found?

4. robin

robin Senior member

Watch ebay - new AE belts show up with some regularity for around $30-50,

5. presence

presence Senior member

Banana Republic has some really nice suede belts for around $60. Any departmnt store that has a Ralph Lauren section will have something nice.

6. highball

highball Senior member

There's also this one which I almost bought. Decided against it only because I have the Dover loafer, and it would look way too matchy for my tastes.

Perfect match for dark brown suede shoes. Here's me wearing it.:

Love the look, binge. What's the consensus on matching belts with suede shoes? Do you guys wear suede shoes with belts made from a different leather, or is it strictly suede shoes & suede belt only?

7. binge

binge Senior member

There's also this one which I almost bought. Decided against it only because I have the Dover loafer, and it would look way too matchy for my tastes.

I looked at that one too, but I just didn't care for the contrast of the stitching.

Love the look, binge. What's the consensus on matching belts with suede shoes? Do you guys wear suede shoes with belts made from a different leather, or is it strictly suede shoes & suede belt only?

I don't know what the consensus is, but I do both. I only have 2 brown belts: the dark brown suede one and a medium brown regular/calf leather one. IMO just keep the colors in the same ballpark, and the medium brown calf belt covers all the rest of my leather shoes other than the dark brown suede shoes. I will wear that belt with the medium brown suede derbies I have. The dark brown suede belt only with the dark brown suede shoes, but that's driven by the darkness of color not the material.

I do really like the suede AE belt I got. I would definitely pick up another one in another color if they had it and I needed it.

8. Roger

Roger Senior member

9. thinman

thinman Senior member

I bought an Allen-Edmonds Dover belt from The Shoe Mart, but it looks like all they have on the website now is black. It might be worth a call to see if they have other colors that just aren't on the web:

http://www.theshoemart.com/cgi-bin/c...start=17&rpro=

Alternatively, you could buy the cashmere-suede belt from STP in size 44 and have a cobbler cut it down to your size. If you go this route, have him install snaps, so you can easily change the buckle. Although I haven't yet tried this, a rule of thumb from the forum is that they can do this with a belt at least 6" longer than your waist size.

10. TCN

TCN Senior member

I picked up a nice Ralph Lauren chocolate suede belt with a very subtle and classic nickel buckle for just under $100 on sale at my local Polo store. It's English made, retails for around $110 I believe, and looks a lot like the AE suede belt, but with a more classic looking buckle (not as modern and curvy as the AE.

11. forex

forex Senior member

TCN,can you post some pictures? I ordered one AE cashmere suede belt posted by binge,that was the best I could find (so far),perhaps there are more elegant suede belts.

12. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

I think suede belts are nice, but I prefer wearing a similar colored leather or croc belt when wearing suede shoes. Having shoes and belts matching in suede is a little too matchy matchy for me.

13. TCN

TCN Senior member

TCN,can you post some pictures? I ordered one AE cashmere suede belt posted by binge,that was the best I could find (so far),perhaps there are more elegant suede belts.

Sure, I'll try and remember tonight. If you find a picture of Crockett & Jones' suede belt (either on PLal or Ben Silver), I believe it's the same one but with a silver or nicket toned buckle instead of the gold one.

14. forex

forex Senior member

I think suede belts are nice, but I prefer wearing a similar colored leather or croc belt when wearing suede shoes. Having shoes and belts matching in suede is a little too matchy matchy for me.

I think it's not a bad approach considering that it is rather hard to find a decent suede belt in colors other than brown,I may just go ahead and pick up leather belts to match the shoes.