1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Subway and Public Transportation Etiquette - The People We Encounter

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by patrickBOOTH, Nov 18, 2011.

1. E TF

E TF Senior member

Twice in as many days I have narrowly missed a train thanks to getting stuck behind slow-moving fatties (what other kind is there?) in tunnels. Why must they waddle down the middle of the tunnel, not stick to one side?

1 person likes this.
  2. Johdus Fanfoozal

Johdus Fanfoozal Senior member

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

3 people like this.
  3. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

I had so many asshole offenders on my train this morning that I wanted to puke.

4. cuponoodles

cuponoodles Senior member

Going on five years in NYC, I've experienced a lot (although not as much as some of the longer tenured folks here), but the two things that absolutely get me are the loud ass music in the subway (non-headphones and non-Showtime edition) and the people getting on before everyone gets off. Shit drives me bonkers.

1 person likes this.
  5. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Senior member

At least you guys have a legit transit system. The LA blue line ends a mile away from LAX. Literally a mile away.

6. ethanm

ethanm Senior member

It's easier to get to Newark in NJ than JFK or LGA by public transportation.

7. venividivicibj

Our LA to SF 'bullet train' is currently scheduled to cost ~70 billion dollars.

8. ethanm

ethanm Senior member

How much water could you buy with that? Enough for Tom Selleck's garden?

9. venividivicibj

Almost enough for his avocado grove

10. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Senior member Dubiously Honored

I just died a little.

11. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Senior member

Made it about halfway through the stories but I can't go any further. I'm browsing SF while waiting for dinner to heat up and now I'm not sure I can eat.

12. Salad

Salad Senior member

Got on BART (SF Bay) last week. Over the last few years BART has switched from fabric covered seats to vinyl covered seats. Believe it or not, the floor used to be carpeted in a type of flat industrial berber. Fabric seats and carpeted flooring on a subway is kind of crazy when you think about it. Now, fabric was sometimes gross because people spill sh*t they shouldn't have on a subway anyway and bums and drunks sometimes piss on them. Vomit gets soaked up by the fabric seats/carpet as well. Yay, vinyl covered seats and floors, right? So I get on BART and the train I'm on smells like piss. No fabric seats and no carpet to so it's easy to spot. I look under the seat near the door, the handicapped or drunk/homeless bed, and see some liquid that i suspect is drying piss. I guess now the piss runs off the vinyl seats and pools on the floor. Yay! I guess carpet is worse but damn I'm glad I don't have to ride the subway everyday.

Oh and I learned that we now have regular traveling groups of entertainers like NY has. Progress! They come in, introduce themselves, dance and pass the hat around. Can't knock the hustle. Way better than that one lady who goes from train to train collecting money for her rheumatism or some such ailment. No matter how much people give her, she's still short $50.

13. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Senior member Dubiously Honored

I encountered the "entertainers" a couple of weeks ago. I can't say I'm a fan, but as long as they don't get in my face for a donation, whatevs.

14. deepitm

deepitm Senior member