• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Subway and Public Transportation Etiquette - The People We Encounter

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

sneak your cell phone under your desk, dial your work number, answer and politely say to the mildly marsupialed person "sorry, this is important, do you mind if i take this?"

I was standing on the subway. Even a marsupial knows you can't get service down there.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Summer in this city is miserable. So hot and humid, you have to walk everywhere, and because power is so expensive/******, nowhere is properly air conditioned.

I'm from the Carolinas, and my friends back home always make remarks about how it must be cooler up here. I laugh in their faces every time. It's maybe a couple of degrees cooler, but guess what? I have to walk everywhere; they just walk 10 yard to their air conditioned car.

I really hate how there are so many of these open air restaurants that make it like it is no nice to enjoy the open air, or sit on the sidewalk. I hate all of them. Who the **** wants to sweat their ass off while eating? Apparently a lot of people because it is hard to find restaurants that don't just open their windows.

LawrenceMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I was standing on the subway. Even a marsupial knows you can't get service down there.

when you hit the lincoln center area on the 1/2/3 train and you're still under ground but sometimes get a cellphone signal. I've gotten calls under there and it freaks me out... like its a supernatural event.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score

I really hate how there are so many of these open air restaurants that make it like it is no nice to enjoy the open air, or sit on the sidewalk. I hate all of them. Who the **** wants to sweat their ass off while eating? Apparently a lot of people because it is hard to find restaurants that don't just open their windows.

these are only acceptable for early morning, which doesn't exist for me, or 9 PM or later dining.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score

when you hit the lincoln center area on the 1/2/3 train and you're still under ground but sometimes get a cellphone signal. I've gotten calls under there and it freaks me out... like its a supernatural event.

the 1, 2, 3 does get quite a few signals in Manhattan. This past weekend I was on the 1 and the phone buzzed as my mother was calling me.

aravenel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

These are fine later in the evening when its cooler, or on the odd day that's not sweltering. But on the whole, I agree. I think a lot of it is that they don't want to pay the power costs to keep their space cool. It'd cost a good $1000/month easy to keep most restaurants cool given the heat from stoves and such and the constant opening and closing of the doors.

LawrenceMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

the 1, 2, 3 does get quite a few signals in Manhattan. This past weekend I was on the 1 and the phone buzzed as my mother was calling me.

the same thing happened to me...in 2010 I was like "MOM WHAT HAPPENED...?! is something wrong?" is this God providing me with supernatural cell phone reception for a reason?

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

These are fine later in the evening when its cooler, or on the odd day that's not sweltering. But on the whole, I agree. I think a lot of it is that they don't want to pay the power costs to keep their space cool. It'd cost a good $1000/month easy to keep most restaurants cool given the heat from stoves and such and the constant opening and closing of the doors.

My guess is it is even more expensive than that to keep a restaurant cool. Especially with the hot kitchen and such.

aravenel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

My guess is it is even more expensive than that to keep a restaurant cool. Especially with the hot kitchen and such.

Yeah, you're probably right. I was just guessing--I know it costs about $200/month to air condition my apartment, and that's not even very cool in the summer.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Also commercial rates are higher, so the same amount of useage is probably like ~20% more in commercial spaces.

Last edited:

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
so yesterday, ride to work, somebody smelled like B.O. It was annoying, but not bad enough for me to post it here.

and then yesterday, ride home from work, somebody made half the train smell like an asshole. It was awful, but I wasn't going far so I just scarved up my face. This poor 4 year old was clamping his nose in disgust. That guy needs to GTFO of the subway.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Today, I refilled my metrocard. Hurt a little. I will say I experienced something Sunday, which was cool. The N, R lines were running express from Union Square to Canal. As the train passed the 8th Street and Prince Street stops the train was moving very slowly and you could see worker on the tracks. It was cool to see. I love Infrastructure.

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Not only does Seoul's metro have cell phone signal boosters, it also has wi-fi.
nest.gif

Today, I refilled my metrocard.
How much do you guys generally refill cards for? When I first moved here (having lived in Texas, this was my first experience with public transportation), I put 10 dollars at a time. Now I put 50 and don't understand when people only put 10 dollars at a time.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads