• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Subway and Public Transportation Etiquette - The People We Encounter

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

pB, I'm guessing you have a short commute?!

Do you work at a standing desk, Rumsfeld-style?

I'm on the train for like 10-15 minutes. I would prefer to have a standing desk. I even thought about getting like a device so I can stand at work. I love standing and it is better on my back. My office deals with enough of my idiosyncrasies, however.

Fang66

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I believe that depends on where in America you are. I'm not sure even stand-your-ground states would consider spitting to be sufficiently threatening to justify lethal force.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
You have to be, "in danger for your life". I have read a lot of about it after that Zimmerman case.

Fang66

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I believe that depends on where in America you are. I'm not sure even stand-your-ground states would consider spitting to be sufficiently threatening to justify lethal force.

****! That's one of the few good things down the drain.

Hayward

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There has to be a reasonable fear of threat to life or limb. But you could shove him to stop him spitting on you. When he hits you back, then you throw him on the tracks...

MRMan

Reaction score

There has to be a reasonable fear of threat to life or limb. But you could shove him to stop him spitting on you. When he hits you back, then you throw him on the tracks...

Very sound approach...will remember that for next time. I'm sure the laws in our countries are close enough.

Suit of Nettles

Reaction score
Yeah, our Yahoos may make more noise and bodily emissions, but they're less dangerous as a rule. You can respond with almost limitless verbal abuse without any real fear for your safety.

Sadly, we're also required to do everything possible to safeguard their lives and limbs while they're spitting on us, lest we get banged up on an assault charge.

LawrenceMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

17. The Ridiculously Hot Chick: She is very distracting, and get me in trouble if I am with my girlfriend. She makes all of the other lesser beautiful, but beautiful nonetheless woman self-conscious and feeling ugly. If you are this ridiculously hot riding the subway is a trick, a tease, and you should be either in a cab, or in a limo.

spring/summer IS ALMOST HERE!!!!! summer dresses, thin tank tops on ridiculously hot females sooner rather than later please.

I hate the guys who are annoyingly indecisive/confused in the face of sheer obviousness.

Usually going to a sporting event/concert/running race/something involving at least 5,000 people commuting towards the same event (central park/MSG/Yankee Stadium/CitiField/ect). They can see all the other people with sports jerseys, concert t-shirts, running gear (with race bibs shoe tags) on the same train, but they still have to constantly ask if its the right train. Even after asking they'll still nervously look around like they are still on the wrong train. When the train stops at a station before the event they'll look to the other platform and see the another train going the opposite direction and sometimes even get off and start ask people on the platform again if its the right train. I used to assume that these people were tourists or from new jersey, but more often than naught its a native NYC'er who gets flummoxed at the phenomena of people mass commuting towards the same event.

Last edited:

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score

spring/summer IS ALMOST HERE!!!!! summer dresses, thin tank tops on ridiculously hot females sooner rather than later please.

I envy your appreciation for summer. IMO summer is the worst as it means hot and steamy streets, and sauna like subway platforms.

I never liked nor understood people who liked beaches, but a few years ago, a light clicked for me when I realized it was so ******* sweltering I needed to jump into water.

LawrenceMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I envy your appreciation for summer. IMO summer is the worst as it means hot and steamy streets, and sauna like subway platforms.

I never liked nor understood people who liked beaches, but a few years ago, a light clicked for me when I realized it was so ******* sweltering I needed to jump into water.

I used to hate summer too, but figured out that having a car in NYC isn't so bad... because you can turn it into an air-contidioned pod. It was so hot for the past two summers I noticed even the cops didn't give out parking tickets (like street parking in SoHo during the weekdays). plus you always have the option to say: ******* lets drive to the beach.

I'm sad about breezy point/fort Tilden/Jacob Reis being closed down though... that was the go to beach for the wife and I for the last two years. it was always empty and since its and open ocean beach the water is always cold. Hopefully the area can bounce back and recover by summer. :(

Last edited:

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Also, yesterday a mildly marsupialed woman was pestering me all the way to work. I really wanted to be mean to her, but how could I? I am not that much of a jerk.

Last edited:

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score

Also, yesterday a mildly marsupialed woman was pestering me all the way to work. I really wanted to be mean to her, but how could I? I am not that much of a jerk.

sneak your cell phone under your desk, dial your work number, answer and politely say to the mildly marsupialed person "sorry, this is important, do you mind if i take this?"

aravenel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Summer in this city is miserable. So hot and humid, you have to walk everywhere, and because power is so expensive/******, nowhere is properly air conditioned.

I'm from the Carolinas, and my friends back home always make remarks about how it must be cooler up here. I laugh in their faces every time. It's maybe a couple of degrees cooler, but guess what? I have to walk everywhere; they just walk 10 yard to their air conditioned car.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads