1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Subway and Public Transportation Etiquette - The People We Encounter

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by patrickBOOTH, Nov 18, 2011.

1. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

I was standing on the subway. Even a retard knows you can't get service down there.

2. patrickBOOTH

I really hate how there are so many of these open air restaurants that make it like it is no nice to enjoy the open air, or sit on the sidewalk. I hate all of them. Who the fuck wants to sweat their ass off while eating? Apparently a lot of people because it is hard to find restaurants that don't just open their windows.

3. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

ah, i thought you meant at your desk.

the subway would indeed be tough. Not sure what I would have done.

4. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Senior member

when you hit the lincoln center area on the 1/2/3 train and you're still under ground but sometimes get a cellphone signal. I've gotten calls under there and it freaks me out... like its a supernatural event.

5. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

these are only acceptable for early morning, which doesn't exist for me, or 9 PM or later dining.

6. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

the 1, 2, 3 does get quite a few signals in Manhattan. This past weekend I was on the 1 and the phone buzzed as my mother was calling me.

7. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

These are fine later in the evening when its cooler, or on the odd day that's not sweltering. But on the whole, I agree. I think a lot of it is that they don't want to pay the power costs to keep their space cool. It'd cost a good $1000/month easy to keep most restaurants cool given the heat from stoves and such and the constant opening and closing of the doors.

8. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Senior member

the same thing happened to me...in 2010 I was like "MOM WHAT HAPPENED...?! is something wrong?" is this God providing me with supernatural cell phone reception for a reason?

9. patrickBOOTH

My guess is it is even more expensive than that to keep a restaurant cool. Especially with the hot kitchen and such.

10. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

Yeah, you're probably right. I was just guessing--I know it costs about $200/month to air condition my apartment, and that's not even very cool in the summer.

11. patrickBOOTH

Also commercial rates are higher, so the same amount of useage is probably like ~20% more in commercial spaces.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2013
  12. patrickBOOTH

Last edited: Mar 12, 2013
  13. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

so yesterday, ride to work, somebody smelled like B.O. It was annoying, but not bad enough for me to post it here.

and then yesterday, ride home from work, somebody made half the train smell like an asshole. It was awful, but I wasn't going far so I just scarved up my face. This poor 4 year old was clamping his nose in disgust. That guy needs to GTFO of the subway.

14. patrickBOOTH

Today, I refilled my metrocard. Hurt a little. I will say I experienced something Sunday, which was cool. The N, R lines were running express from Union Square to Canal. As the train passed the 8th Street and Prince Street stops the train was moving very slowly and you could see worker on the tracks. It was cool to see. I love Infrastructure.

15. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

Not only does Seoul's metro have cell phone signal boosters, it also has wi-fi. [​IMG]

How much do you guys generally refill cards for? When I first moved here (having lived in Texas, this was my first experience with public transportation), I put 10 dollars at a time. Now I put 50 and don't understand when people only put 10 dollars at a time.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2013
  16. patrickBOOTH

Big downside: It's Korea.

2 people like this.
  17. patrickBOOTH

I get a monthly unlimited ride card.

18. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

+1

19. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

+2.

Of course, they were talking about raising the price of the monthly unlimited relative to the regular cash cards. Would make it considerably less attractive, and IMO, penalizes residents rather than tourists. So eff that.

20. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

For all of its technological marvels....it's still a depressing place to be. Just because of the people you see on the street.