1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Subway and Public Transportation Etiquette - The People We Encounter

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by patrickBOOTH, Nov 18, 2011.

1. Balfour

Balfour Senior member

pB, I'm guessing you have a short commute?!

Do you work at a standing desk, Rumsfeld-style?

2. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

despite the "oh noes, I don't want to be pushed in front of a train by a madman" scares, the subway is also signficantly safer than staying above ground.

http://gothamist.com/2013/03/05/more_pedestrians_killed_in_january.php

3. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

On a scale of 0-10, 10 being the best, how would y'all New Yorkers rate your jaywalking skills?

I am a 10.

4. texas_jack

texas_jack Senior member

Probably looking for some young stud to make their lives interesting.

5. texas_jack

texas_jack Senior member

In America you're legally allowed to shoot someone like that

6. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

I'm on the train for like 10-15 minutes. I would prefer to have a standing desk. I even thought about getting like a device so I can stand at work. I love standing and it is better on my back. My office deals with enough of my idiosyncrasies, however.

7. Fang66

Fang66 Senior member

Actually one of the few good things about the place.

8. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Senior member Dubiously Honored

I believe that depends on where in America you are. I'm not sure even stand-your-ground states would consider spitting to be sufficiently threatening to justify lethal force.

9. patrickBOOTH

You have to be, "in danger for your life". I have read a lot of about it after that Zimmerman case.

10. Fang66

Fang66 Senior member

Fuck! That's one of the few good things down the drain.

11. Hayward

Hayward Senior member

There has to be a reasonable fear of threat to life or limb. But you could shove him to stop him spitting on you. When he hits you back, then you throw him on the tracks...

12. MRMan

MRMan Senior member

Very sound approach...will remember that for next time. I'm sure the laws in our countries are close enough.

13. Suit of Nettles

Suit of Nettles Senior member

Yeah, our Yahoos may make more noise and bodily emissions, but they're less dangerous as a rule. You can respond with almost limitless verbal abuse without any real fear for your safety.

Sadly, we're also required to do everything possible to safeguard their lives and limbs while they're spitting on us, lest we get banged up on an assault charge.

14. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Senior member

spring/summer IS ALMOST HERE!!!!! summer dresses, thin tank tops on ridiculously hot females sooner rather than later please.

I hate the guys who are annoyingly indecisive/confused in the face of sheer obviousness.

Usually going to a sporting event/concert/running race/something involving at least 5,000 people commuting towards the same event (central park/MSG/Yankee Stadium/CitiField/ect). They can see all the other people with sports jerseys, concert t-shirts, running gear (with race bibs shoe tags) on the same train, but they still have to constantly ask if its the right train. Even after asking they'll still nervously look around like they are still on the wrong train. When the train stops at a station before the event they'll look to the other platform and see the another train going the opposite direction and sometimes even get off and start ask people on the platform again if its the right train. I used to assume that these people were tourists or from new jersey, but more often than naught its a native NYC'er who gets flummoxed at the phenomena of people mass commuting towards the same event.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2013
  15. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

I envy your appreciation for summer. IMO summer is the worst as it means hot and steamy streets, and sauna like subway platforms.

I never liked nor understood people who liked beaches, but a few years ago, a light clicked for me when I realized it was so fucking sweltering I needed to jump into water.

1 person likes this.
  16. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Senior member

I used to hate summer too, but figured out that having a car in NYC isn't so bad... because you can turn it into an air-contidioned pod. It was so hot for the past two summers I noticed even the cops didn't give out parking tickets (like street parking in SoHo during the weekdays). plus you always have the option to say: fuck it lets drive to the beach.

I'm sad about breezy point/fort Tilden/Jacob Reis being closed down though... that was the go to beach for the wife and I for the last two years. it was always empty and since its and open ocean beach the water is always cold. Hopefully the area can bounce back and recover by summer. :(

17. patrickBOOTH

I absolutely hate the summer. The. Fucking. Worst.

1 person likes this.
  18. patrickBOOTH

Also, yesterday a mildly retarded woman was pestering me all the way to work. I really wanted to be mean to her, but how could I? I am not that much of a jerk.

19. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

sneak your cell phone under your desk, dial your work number, answer and politely say to the mildly retarded person "sorry, this is important, do you mind if i take this?"

20. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

Summer in this city is miserable. So hot and humid, you have to walk everywhere, and because power is so expensive/shitty, nowhere is properly air conditioned.

I'm from the Carolinas, and my friends back home always make remarks about how it must be cooler up here. I laugh in their faces every time. It's maybe a couple of degrees cooler, but guess what? I have to walk everywhere; they just walk 10 yard to their air conditioned car.