1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Subway and Public Transportation Etiquette - The People We Encounter

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by patrickBOOTH, Nov 18, 2011.

1. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

No, I'm not. I don't even know if it was a man or woman, but it kept flailing around under the blankets.

2. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

I've noticed that my trains are running with less frquency during rush hour. Quite annoying.

3. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

Does anyone else step way back behind the platform when a train or subway approaches now?

I don't know if I'm just being paranoid but I also look around to see if there are any crazy characters.

Don't want to get pushed :(

4. Hayward

Hayward Senior member

What do you mean there are no grocery stores in Midtown?

[​IMG]

5. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

i'm pretty sure Food Emporium is exactly what we mean

6. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

I'm a little shocked the the NYC subway doesn't have some sort of sliding gate mechanism barrier thing.

Seoul used to be all sketch like this:

[​IMG]

But have all (or at least, those within Seoul proper...don't know about the stations on the outskirts) been updated to this within the last 15 years:
    [​IMG]

On the stations above ground (and possessing higher roofs), they have something similar that ends around head height. I don't know if the safety measures were a response to a rash of jumpers/pushers or just economic pump priming in the wake of the 1997 IMF crisis.

On a different note, something I don't understand: my ex's brother was killed in 2008 while on the NYC subway, moving from one car to the next. Is there an open space between cars?

Last edited: Mar 7, 2013
  7. willy cheesesteak

willy cheesesteak Senior member

^Do you know how much that would cost for NYC?

8. acidboy

acidboy Senior member

9. texas_jack

texas_jack Senior member

10. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

yes, you can open the train doors and pass. You're not allowed to, but you can.

only homeless people do this though.

11. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

I don't think it's the cost that's prohibitive in installing those safety doors.. it's probably just the fact that millions of people rely on the MTA everyday and to shut down the platforms for installation would wreak havoc.

Imagine all the bitching and moaning!

12. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Senior member Dubiously Honored

They could be installed at night to reduce the impact, but, yes, the kvetching would be mighty. Plus, the project would go on for probably 15 or 20 years.

13. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

He had an Ivy League degree and a six figure job which allowed him to work from most anywhere. But yes, point taken, it is indeed a stupid thing to do (and I'm just hazarding that the homeless have a lower level of common sense than the average human, which is already quite low). Generally a brilliant guy, but he was known to abuse substances. [​IMG]

Seoul is the second busiest subway system in the world (2.518 billion people per year). NYC has 1.644 billion annually. Seoul also has a 170 more stations (edit: including the Seoul metropolitan area...Wikipedia is a little unclear on this point...but it does seem to indicate that NYC's is more extensive despite giving numbers otherwise).

It could (and should) be done.

EDIT: Sorry for the unnecessarily defensive tone GS. The ex and I are still close, and her brother was a great guy. Re-reading my post, I kind of surprised myself.

14. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

Imagine all the corrupt contracts and dirty pockets lined with the city's money.. you can bet your ass they'd take their sweet ass time.

But then again, we're talking about NYC -- not Chicago :confused:.

15. gambit50

gambit50 Senior member

Homelessness is not what defines those who do this(though they might be included). And while I am sure it was said before(on this thread but it is so hilarious and true and I was excited to see someone else state what is apparent), there is a common denominator amongst the car crossers.

And to the poster who asked about stepping back as the train approaches, you are not paranoid.

16. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

it would be union work. So totally cost prohibitive.

no worries. My generalization was quite sweeping anyways and basically from my observations.

1 person likes this.
  17. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

Goddamn unions and pension funds will be the end of us all (6).

1 person likes this.
  18. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Senior member Dubiously Honored

Wasn't much of NYC's infrastructure built by union labor?

19. texas_jack

texas_jack Senior member

I heard an interview with a psych who delt with the homeless in NYC and she said a lot of the stink isn't filth but rather all the types of fungus growing on these people.

20. texas_jack

texas_jack Senior member

Pretty much all infrastructure in the US more than 30 years old was built by union labor