Subway and Public Transportation Etiquette - The People We Encounter

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by patrickBOOTH, Nov 18, 2011.

1. bringusingoodale

bringusingoodale Senior member

Sometimes, when I feel melancholy, I ride the trains and buses in the hopes of someone talking to me about my clothes and such stuff.

I envy you.

2. ballmouse

ballmouse Senior member

Quote:
    +1. My favorite subway rides are generally when people talk to me. Alas, it hasn't happened in a while now.

3. MikeDT

MikeDT Senior member

I found on the London Underground if someone was trying to strike-up a conversation with me, it was because they where up to no good, trying to sell bootleg cigarettes or some other nefarious things.

Here when someone starts a conversation with me on public transport, it's usually because they want to practise their English. I've even managed to get some good private tuition work this way as well.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2011

4. why

why Senior member

I usually don't have many public transport issues here (people are very courteous) but I would like to add The Chatterbox if it hasn't already been stated. These are the people that talk as loud and annoyingly as possible (either on their phone or to others).

5. Sander

Sander Senior member

idk why, but this made me literally laugh out loud.

Also, you seem to engage in violent fantasies rather often... are you also yelling obscenities at waitresses that can't hear you over the loud music?

6. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

Oh man, it happens to me all of the time. My friends laugh because it is always me. When it is a crazy person for some reason out of everybody they look at me and think that I have the same exact views as them and I am on their page. Makes no sense. Also, people like to talk to me about my clothes often. I don't know why, I am certaintly not the best dresser, but always dressed "up". It is generally people that I have seen around a lot in my routine and they decide to meet me. Sometimes the crazy and the fashionista is one in the same. This one guy started going on about how he has a whole room in his apartment with just ties, he has over 2,000 of them. He also told me that I need to check out the Florisheim store because they make the best shoes and if I want to be really classy that is where I need to go. :rolleyes: I humored him, he didn't mean any harm.

One time there was like 15 year old black kid that comes up to me and tells me that my suit is tailored well, but "as a tailor, from my perspective the sleeves need slimming." I wanted to strangle him.

Of course this whole thread is very tongue-in-cheek, but only a loophole to the truths of the transit system. In my bizzaro world I get to live out all of these things without any consequence. In actuality I am very kind and charming unless you are being an outright dick for no reason or something.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2011

7. patrickBOOTH

My previous post made me think of the other kind of person you might encounter on the subway:

The Hungry Racist: This is exactly how it sounds. This is the angry guy spouting on about the most racist things you have ever heard on the train. Remember, there is no arguing or reasoning with crazy people. Don't even try to argue with him. My friend did and he latched his jaw right on him and took a bite. The night ended with a nice rabies cocktail at the hospital.

8. Sander

Sander Senior member

I didn't think you would really start to hit people. Can sympathize with the thought though.

I must say although I take the subway a lot, there are not too many crazies there. Well of course there are, but at the times I'm in, it isn't too crowded so it's bearable. A bonus of living in Berlin - yes, there are a lot of people here but the city is so large that it doesn't get too crowded.

9. ocelot_ark

ocelot_ark Active Member

It's already been said, but the people who won't move out of the way when you're trying to get off the subway. Most of the time it's not a problem, but on one particularly stressful morning I was blocked by some kid (18 or 19). I was at the front of the line of a very crowded subway car. I basically said, "Screw this kid" in my head. As soon as the doors open I plowed right over him. Didn't even hesitate (this is within a month of moving here from TX). Turns out he had a buddy with him and they both kinda started mouthing off, but nothing happened. I just looked back and said, "get out of the way next time." I'm lucky it didn't escalate, though. Probably won't be doing that again.

10. patrickBOOTH

:slayer:

11. odoreater

odoreater Senior member

I think the true problem for many of you is that your image does not fit your method of transportation.

12. patrickBOOTH

No, I don't think that is the "true" problem at all. The true problem is that most people are self-centered assholes.

13. odoreater

odoreater Senior member

Maybe, but you can't ride around on a crowded subway with a nice new pair of polished shoes and expect that they won't get scuffed from time to time. If you don't want your shoes to get scuffed, take a taxi. Better yet, move somewhere less crowded.

14. patrickBOOTH

You are missing the entire point. The point isn't my shoes, but behavior. Sure I get irritated when my shoes get stepped on, but there are far greater offenses discussed here.

An sitting in taxis wrinkles my trousers...

15. odoreater

odoreater Senior member

You will be much happier when you start to expect less from humanity.