Subway and Public Transportation Etiquette - The People We Encounter

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by patrickBOOTH, Nov 18, 2011.

1. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

exactly, I rarely see walls or other things ruined, usually it's only posters that can be replaced. And what I really appreciate about most of the vandalism I see is the tact employed by the vandal - rare are the huge devil horns or marker all over someone's face. Usually it's just one or two little things (like the Anus Reprisal) that makes it hilarious, and I can't help but laugh.

a few years ago, in Greenpoint, we stumbled across a door that was graffitied with the word "vandalism", and then i lol'ed.

Also, pB you are required to take a picture, ok? If I have to explain to you how to hold your phone and snap a quick one without it looking like you're taking a picture, then you don't deserve to have your phone.

2. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

I gotta up my game.

3. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

so there is a first for everything. Today, on the way home (yes, i skipped out early), I saw someone trying to swipe in with their card in their mouth. they were holding something, but still, was that really the best approach to take?

4. patrickBOOTH

They could have tried to do it with their anus.

5. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

I got onto the subway and there was a seat open; in front of the seat there was a pile of newspaper, slightly crumpled. I didn't step on the pile, thank god, just because I don't like stepping on things.

The next stop, two middle aged uniformed women, one carrying a mop, enter the car and lift up the newspaper, revealing fresh vomit (ramen, kimchi, and corn). They placed the newspaper in the bag and scooped up the larger chunks. Just before the train departed, they placed more newspaper down.

The stop later, two more women got on, cleaned for 30 seconds, placed down newspaper, got off. The third stop they had completed cleaning the floor. That's efficiency (though I suppose it would have been more efficient to have the women simply stay on and get off at the next stop).

The point of this story is that after they were done, I looked down and between my feet, a centimeter away from my briefcase, there was a piece of regurgitated cabbage. I don't know if my bag touched it or not; I didn't investigate this very real possibility. Ignorance is bliss when it comes to things that were once in Man's stomach.

6. patrickBOOTH

Amazing story. Interesting the different variations in subway vomit due to the culture's dietary habits.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2012

7. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

I am new to the iPhone. Help a noob.

8. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

do I really have to explain this? It's not an iPhone thing, it's a common sense thing, god damn peoples.

find your target, switch the phone camera to on, casually hold the phone at your side while aiming at said mark, and push the "volume up" button to take the picture. Flash off, always.

9. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

10. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

[​IMG]

(ok, so it's a little hard to see and grainy since it was really dark down there, but hopefully people can see what this is)

11. patrickBOOTH

12. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

Did not realize that button would take a picture. On my previous phone...an Android ;) ...the volume buttons were for zoom. I guess turning off the shutter noise is needed too...

13. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

This almost deserves its own thread.

All phones here make a loud camera shutter sound when you take pictures, even with headphones on or the phone muted; there is no way to disable this without actually messing with the hardware/firmware (there are places that will do this for you) There is a big problem (or at least a bigger awareness of the problem, real or imagined) of perverts taking pictures of girls, so cell phone companies are actually required to preclude the disabling of the sound. Oddly enough, you can turn off the sound your phone makes when you start recording video.

14. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

pB - hypodermic needle

piob - i always have my phone on vibrate so there is no noise. The zoom is the pinch thing.

15. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Bearded Prick Dubiously Honored

This utterly incorrect. When I mute my iPhone (iOS6, so latest version), the shutter noise is likewise muted.