• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Subway and Public Transportation Etiquette - The People We Encounter

Sonny58

Reaction score
Why don't people warn others of these things? It was obvious that people realized it but no one said anything.

Including you, apparently.

I had gone quite a bit away to avoid the smell but yeah, I didn't say anything. Being a visitor to the city I ask the question more as an observer of the culture I guess.

Kas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

For your approval:

Motherfucker-be-inchin-up-on-me guy
It's a crowded platform, I know. And it's rush hour. You want desperately to get on the next train, but you arrived a little late and now you're behind everyone standing on the edge of the platform as the train pulls in. So what do you do? You stand behind me within breathing distance. Even though you're not touching me and I can't see you, I know you're there. Because all that stands between me and the front page of the Post is a very gentle push. You're probably not a homicidal schizophrenic a few hours removed from Bellevue. But you've become an unintended threat regardless. SO MOTHERFUCKER, BACK THE **** UP 'FORE I CUT YOU!

Along those lines; when it's really crowded, and people stand two feet from the yellow line. You can't move to that spot because it's blocked from all sides. I don't get it, the train isn't going to magically change course and hit you - that yellow line is plenty of buffer: so stand the **** on it. It's empty space, therefore inefficient and if there's anything I absolutely hate it is inefficiency. ORDNUNG MUSS SEIN.

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Along those lines; when it's really crowded, and people stand two feet from the yellow line. You can't move to that spot because it's blocked from all sides. I don't get it, the train isn't going to magically change course and hit you - that yellow line is plenty of buffer: so stand the **** on it. It's empty space, therefore inefficient and if there's anything I absolutely hate it is inefficiency. ORDNUNG MUSS SEIN.

The train is not going to magically change direction of course, but I bet some are worried that they might get pushed onto the track and electrocuted (usually there's big yellow warning signs "Danger High Voltage"). Crowd surges can happen and people have been pushed off the platform. Ever been on the Beijing Subway, Line 1 during rush hour?

I'm sure that's why most modern subways and metros have platform edge doors. Allows the whole platform space to be used efficiently, no standing behind or on yellow lines, and no risk of being pushed or falling onto the track and being electrocuted.

Last edited:

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
You will only really be electrocuted if you touch the third rail which is furthest from you. It is DC voltage so you can walk right on it, however if you stepped from the third rail and put your other foot on one of the other rails you're toast.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

You will only really be electrocuted if you touch the third rail which is furthest from you. It is DC voltage so you can walk right on it, however if you stepped from the third rail and put your other foot on one of the other rails you're toast.

Yeah but I wouldn't like to fall on the tracks and be racing to climb to safety before the train pulls in (since it usually gets more crowded and pushy the closer you are to train arrival).

I stand up by the buffer...but if the platform was so crowded that people were bumping into you, I might want to stand a little further back

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Yeah, I generally keep away from people on the platform and let them crowd. Less of a chance my shoes get hurt.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I do wonder if any of those huge rats ever clibled up on the third rail and their tail touches the second rail and cooks them. Honestly, I have wondered this quite a number of times.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Ok, I am adding another one:

The Ass Sniffer: The Ass Sniffer is the person who when walking up to the street from the subway platform is right on your ass with their noses in it. This person will be so close that their knees hit the back of your heels when you are walking up the stairs and either trip you, or knock your feet forward cracking your mirror polished shoe back into the step. Back the **** off you New Balance wearing jerk-off.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Either you're exceptionally tall, or these "ass sniffers" must be rather diminutive in stature.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Perhaps you can get a sign sewn into the lining of your suit jacket such that you can lift the rear flap and the person behind sees, "Keep back two steps, midget."?

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Perhaps you can get a sign sewn into the lining of your suit jacket such that you can lift the rear flap and the person behind sees, "Keep back two steps, midget."?

That sounds awesome. Even better I can just have the seat of my trousers missing so they can kiss my bare ass.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I think you, of all people, would be concerned about the transmission of pathogens in such a scenario. Better to go with the sign.

On second thought, though, your approach might be a stellar solution for the warm-blooded fellows for whom even fresco isn't cool enough in the summer.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads