• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Suburban detroit shopping

Pressfan

Reaction score
I'll be in Northern Oakland County this weekend and wonder if there's any worthwhile places to visit outside of Somerset Mall and downtown Birmingham.  I will try to get to the Claymore Shop, if possible, as well.  Does anyone know any traditional-oriented shops, especially with sales going on?  I miss Van Boven in Birmingham and won't be able to get over to Ann Arbor to visit.  Is Carl Sterr worth a trip?  I haven't been there for several years and am not sure what they are carrying now.  Not looking for anything in particular, just dressy sportswear and/or shoes.  Thanks in advance.

TCN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
By all means go look at Carl Sterr's new store (which is now on Old Woodward just North of downtown Birmingham).

In Birmingham, you have the Claymore Shop (on Adams), Parks Tailoring (a few doors South of Claymore), then Paul Cicchini and Carl Sterr on opposite ends of Woodward.

In Bloomfield Hills, there's L'Uomo at Maple and Telegraph that is a bit more fashion forward, but that carries Testoni.

Farther North, there's an outlet mall that has a Neiman Marcus Last Call Clearance Center (you can find amazing deals there from time to time). This clearance center also gets a lot of Bergdorf stuff that is a cut above what a smaller Neiman's (such as the Detroit one) might carry.

If you want to know exactly what lines the smaller stores carry, let me know and I'll provide that as well.

Feel free to let me know exactly what you might be looking for, and I can suggest some shops and even eateries. There are a few very good watch stores (although few worthy restaurants) in Birmingham as well.

TCN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
By the way, don't worry about not being able to make Ann Arbor. Van Boven now is not what it was even 5 years ago. I go to Ann Arbor frequently to eat, but sadly not to clothes shop anymore.

One last item, I haven't checked on their progress, but they were still working on the Thomas Pink store at Marshall Fields in Somerset Mall, as of about 2 weeks ago. Somerset also has a newly Lacoste store, and is scheduled to have a company owned Polo store opening in November.

STYLESTUDENT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
By the way, don't worry about not being able to make Ann Arbor.  Van Boven now is not what it was even 5 years ago.  I go to Ann Arbor frequently to eat, but sadly not to clothes shop anymore.
I concur. There's been an enormous amount of brand turn-over at Van Boven and I wouldn't call it a traditional shop anymore. The only quality brands carried by Van Boven are Robert Talbott, Bill's Khakis and Pantherella (solid wool only).

clarinetplayer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I concur with all of TCN's recommendations. The Claymore Shop is having its summer sale--buy one and get the 2nd one 50% off (on selected items). Worth a look. And even though the Van Boven store (in the beloved Nichols Arcade) is "not what it used to be", there are still items worth checking out, and they, too, are in the midst of their summer sale. Happy shopping. There are always items at Carl Sterr's that one would not find anywhere in Michigan.

TCN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I concur with all of TCN's recommendations.  The Claymore Shop is having its summer sale--buy one and get the 2nd one 50% off (on selected items).  Worth a look.  And even though the Van Boven store (in the beloved Nichols Arcade) is "not what it used to be", there are still items worth checking out, and they, too, are in the midst of their summer sale.  Happy shopping.  There are always items at Carl Sterr's that one would not find anywhere in Michigan.
I was at Carl Sterr last week, and I noted the following:

Suits: Samuelsohn, Borrelli, Isaia, Brioni

Shirts: Borrelli, Talbot BOC

plus a very nice selection of first rate ties and better Italian made shoes.

HRHAndrew

Reaction score
What was the asking price for the Borrelli shirts at Carl Sterr?

clarinetplayer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was at Carl Sterr last week, and I noted the following:

Suits: Samuelsohn, Borrelli, Isaia, Brioni
Carl Sterr was probably one of the first stores in the US to offer Samuelssohn suits.  I must have purchased one from Carl during the early 90s.  Carl used to say that he would not have anything in his store that he would not wear himself.

TCN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What was the asking price for the Borrelli shirts at Carl Sterr?
I'm afraid I didn't look. Next time I'm in I'll check.

Pressfan

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions.  I must say I am surprised to hear about Van Boven; I always enjoyed visiting the Birmingham location and although I haven't been to the one in Ann Arbor for almost a decade, I was always impressed when I dropped in.

Thanks for the heads up about the new Carl Sterr location; I remembered it as being on Maple west of the downtown.

I notice that the Claymore Shop seems to be the only listed dealer for Alden in the area.  I honestly can't remember shoes there (maybe when they were still north on Woodward).  Any other suggestions for similar or U.K. lines?  I seem to remember a Church's dealer, but cannot remember exactly where.

Thanks again for the help.

TCN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions.  I must say I am surprised to hear about Van Boven; I always enjoyed visiting the Birmingham location and although I haven't been to the one in Ann Arbor for almost a decade, I was always impressed when I dropped in.

Thanks for the heads up about the new Carl Sterr location; I remembered it as being on Maple west of the downtown.

I notice that the Claymore Shop seems to be the only listed dealer for Alden in the area.  I honestly can't remember shoes there (maybe when they were still north on Woodward).  Any other suggestions for similar or U.K. lines?  I seem to remember a Church's dealer, but cannot remember exactly where.

Thanks again for the help.
The Church's dealer was Steve Petix, now out of business. I know of no bricks and mortar source for English made shoes in the Detroit area, with the exception of the occasional model at Brooks or the Neiman's Clearance Center. Believe me, I've looked.

Claymore stocks a limited selection of Aldens, and so does Paul Cicchini. Cicchini and Parks both sell Allen Edmonds, although Parks has more, and will usually offer a discount. Nordstrom has a great Allen Edmonds selection, if you go there, ask for Mike Connelly, who used to be at Claymore.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads