subtle/muted pinstripe: ok for interviews? wedding?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by frankie lee, Sep 15, 2006.

1. frankie lee

frankie lee Active Member

Is a navy suit with a very subtle/muted pinstripe appropriate for job interviews?

What about at a wedding? To me, pinstripes signify business, not pleasure.

Thanks for your advice.

2. Master Shake

Master Shake Senior member

I agree with you that pinstripes are for business, not pleasure. Although I love my pinstriped suits, I hardly wear them outside of work, and certainly not to a wedding.

I've interviewed several people wearing pinstriped suits, and I never gave a second's thought to it. And that's from someone that observes what people wear. So long as it's not a suit that Al Capone would have worn, I think you're safe.

3. kitonbrioni

kitonbrioni Senior member

No reason that pinstripe suits wouldn't work for an interview. Best luck on getting the job.

4. odoreater

odoreater Senior member

Depends on the suit with regards to whether you would wear it to a wedding. If it obviously looks like it's a business suit, then don't wear it to a wedding. However, if it's obviously a suit that you wouldn't wear for business then it's okay for a wedding. For example, I've worn my black Corneliani with white pinstripes to a wedding and I don't think it looked a bit out of place; but, I wouldn't wear that suit for business.

As far as interviews, while there may not be anything wrong with wearing a pinstripe suit for an interview, I personally wouldn't do it because there is less risk involved in wearing a solid suit than in wearing a patterned suit. If you don't have a solid suit then fine, but if you do, better safe than sorry when it comes to interviews.

5. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

Interviews - choose the better suit and disregard the stripes. I would wear my good charcoal rope stripe before my solid navy BB just because of the cut and fabric quality.

Weddings - These days if you're wearing a suit to a wedding - and it fits you - you're probably better dressed than the majority of attendees, for a good number of weddings, high society shindigs notwithstanding.

If you think you look a bit stodgy, throw on a bright tie - sky blue, pink, orange, whatever - something that doesn't say "Snuck away from the office for a moment" I have a Ferragamo circus cat tie in tomato red and orange that does the trick for me when I'm in charcoal pinstripes.

That said, a solid Navy suit does have a bit of dash to it.