• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Substitute for the hang snatch?

Threadbearer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm in Phase 3 of a lifting program that's designed to help skinny guys bulk up. It has me doing very short sets with very heavy weights. I'm really happy with the program so far and I want to stay as loyal to it as possible, but it's now calling for me to do hang snatches with weights that start near and end with my 1-rep max. The trouble with that is that I have osteoporosis.

I know that weight-lifting is great for fighting osteo, but this one particular exercise makes me nervous for two reasons. First, it requires me to put a lot of weight over my head, and since the starting point is down near my knees I can't set up safety bars on the squat rack to catch the bar if I lose it. Second, I'm not keen on the sudden explosion of thrust that's needed to throw the bar over my head. I'm afraid I'll snap a vertebra.

Can anyone recommend a substitute that might work similar muscle groups but with less risk on injury to my delicate, bird-like bones?

Philosoph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There is no substitute for a snatch.

I'm a little confused though. You say the program starts near your 1RM. Which seems to imply that you know your 1RM, which would require you to have done snatches before... so how did they work then?

As for actually doing the exercise, do not set up safety bars. If you lose control, just let it hit the ground. That will ruin the bar less. Also, your back should not flex during the pull. The explosion comes from your hips and legs coupled with a shrug. Your back is only contracting isometrically. If you're doing full squat snatches, your back will be under the most strain in the catch position, again isometrically. If you're worried about it then maybe you should try power snatches (exploding the weight up and catching it at arm's length standing up rather than squatting under to catch).

I'm not sure how a snatch would be any more stressful on your bones than other lifts. Like squats, rows, deadlifts... do you have problems with those too? If no, then you should be fine.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Philosoph
I'm not sure how a snatch would be any more stressful on your bones than other lifts.
The bones in the arm are much more frail.

Threadbearer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There is no substitute for a snatch.
I suspected as much, but thought I should ask anyway.

I'm a little confused though. You say the program starts near your 1RM. Which seems to imply that you know your 1RM, which would require you to have done snatches before... so how did they work then?
For Phase 3 of the program, I had to find my 1RM for each of six lifts, most of which aren't as scary to me as the hang snatch. What I'm calling my 1RM for the hang snatch is probably quite a bit lighter than what it would be if I felt safe enough to go all out. Nevertheless, I'm still pretty wobbly with it after four or five sets.

If you're doing full squat snatches, your back will be under the most strain in the catch position, again isometrically.
I'm doing hang snatches, which the book I'm using describes as starting with the bar just above the knees. To avoid spine problems, I'm trying to sweep the bar up as smoothly as possible (rather than jerking it up suddenly), but when the weights start getting close to my 1RM, instead of throwing the bar up and dropping my body under it, I end up throwing the bar part-way up, dropping my body part-way under it, and then pushing it up the rest of the way with a military press.

As I wrote that last sentence it occurred to me that I'm probably overestimating rather than underestimating my 1RM for the hang snatch. If I can't maintain my form with the weights that I'm using, then I guess I'm going too heavy, right? I think I just answered my own question.

I'm not sure how a snatch would be any more stressful on your bones than other lifts.
For me, deadlifts and squats don't seem to require the sudden burst of power required by lifts like snatches and cleans. I think my bones are at greater risk from sudden, heavy exertions than from slow and steady ones.

adversity04

Reaction score
Just do the snatches at a lower weight. Sure, you might not be getting the full benefit of the move, but it'll still help.

Philosoph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know you're doing them from the hang, but are you catching the snatches in a full squat under the bar? If you're really worried about it you might try power snatches instead. Here's a hang snatch: http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/...angSnatch.html And this is a power snatch, where you do not squat under the bar: http://tomgorman.moonfruit.com/#/powersnatch/4512481836 Also, snatches should not be "swung." They should be pulled up close to the body. Swinging will lower the weight you can use and make it harder to catch. If you're swinging or arcing the weight up you might as well scrap the snatches and do front raises or something. Whether you do power snatches or squat snatches from the hang, you can always lower the weight and do more reps with little rest. That's a good conditioning move, almost like a compound. Hope this helps...

Grayland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The barbell snatch (and all it's variations) can be diificult for some to learn and you really need bumper plates if you're truly going heavy (as you will miss occasionally and need to drop the barbell). Try using a DB. The snatch is a great move and really develops athleticism and speed.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I thought this was going to be a very different sort of thread.

kever

Reaction score
..Also, snatches should not be "swung." ..

In my training I've found that you should actually get a bit of "swing" when doing the snatch. If you watch powerlifters they tend to start the explosive part of a snatch with the shoulders farther forward then the bar and use a small amount of swinging momentum to get the weight up. Try it next time you do snatches. It might work for you, might not. To me it feels much better and like a much more natural movement. It's not an over exaggerated swing, it's just slight and feels like it gets more glute and hamstring into the movement.

To the OP, I would just use less weight. If you use a lighter weight as fast as you can, it's still going to be beneficial to you. I feel a get more out of snatches and cleans when I go a bit lighter and a bit faster.

Philosoph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You're right, the longer answer is that the bar path is actually a parabolic curve, not a vertical line. But if you're consciously try to swing the weight you're probably going to have problems with your catch (losing the bar behind you). Usually when people think about pulling straight up close to the body they end up with the correct bar path.

Image Conscience

Reaction score
If the program is working, do you mind describing what exactly you do? Us skinny guys can always use a little refresher when doing workouts.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I can't look at a thread about a hanging snatch without thinking about the thread concerning the woman who has screwed 500 men.
frown.gif

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kever
If you watch powerlifters they tend to start the explosive part of a snatch with the shoulders farther forward then the bar and use a small amount of swinging momentum to get the weight up.

Powerlifters don't do the snatch; they only compete in bench press, deadlift, and squats.

kever

Reaction score
Originally Posted by why
Powerlifters don't do the snatch; they only compete in bench press, deadlift, and squats.

My mistake. I meant Olympic lifters. I'm sure whoever read my post still understood what I meant...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads