• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Subforum Cultural Divide: Mens Clothing vs. Streetwear

Mauro

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^^ styleforum2011 is the code for 20% off all retail items. Right now everything is on sale.
The shirts are slim. Even the After Dinner shirt.
If you have any questions just shoot me a PM or post on my thread.

Thank you for the good words.

Best,
Mauro

WhateverYouLike

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are you sure you have a MC thread, Mauro? I don't think I've ever seen it and I didn't see it in your history (sorry to e-stalk).

As for why MC might not be as receptive to WvG, I think you answered it yourself:

Originally Posted by Mauro
SW&D do tend to spend more money on things they like. The people on menswear tend to be more frugal. The menswear crowd wants to purchase Kiton or RRL purple label but never want to pay retail.

Cheap bastards, we are.

milosz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
SW&D seems trendier than I expected when I first started posting here, but that may just have been that what I appreciate was hot when I joined. I've got no time for prep bullshit (hell, I don't even know if that's still a thing in SW&D) or goth ninja, etc..

If I read a 'fashion' forum at all, it's usually Superdenim. I'm not on board with head to toe Mister Freedom costumery, but boots and denim fit my lifestyle and interests a lot better.

Dinhilion

Reaction score
I can appreciate a lot of what sw and d is doing. They have some very innovative things. I think both sides rend to be too close minded in their own special ways. Neither is as bad as the other thinks, but both sides have their flaws.

Mauro

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^^ very true. The outspoken shadow the rest. People's opinions sway with the people that post. It's good and bad. A lot of miscommunication happens this way. Bad habits are formed.
It's the internet. I am still have a hard time dealing with this problem and I have been on SF for years.

I had a Farinelli's thread on Menswear but I think it was deleted when I closed the store. I will have to start a WvG thread. I have some beautiful MTM suits and other great pieces. They aren't cheap and my temper ( though getting better) is bad. I don't the unwarranted hate specially from people who don't know anything about real garment construction.
If it doesn't fit their sense of style , great but to say something is crap with no basis is just rude.

I will make a thread once I sew the rest of the buttons on the sport coat and have a photographer take pics.

Best,

Mauro

SpallaCamiccia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There is huge sociocultural difference between both forums and their poasters.

I got just 1 post of the sportive one obviously.

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
There used to be more crossover between the two. I used to participate a lot on both, but now I don't much on either. I'm a little old for sw&d and not tacky enough for mc.

*#..

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mauro
^^ very true. The outspoken shadow the rest. People's opinions sway with the people that post. It's good and bad. A lot of miscommunication happens this way. Bad habits are formed. It's the internet. I am still have a hard time dealing with this problem and I have been on SF for years. I had a Farinelli's thread on Menswear but I think it was deleted when I closed the store. I will have to start a WvG thread. I have some beautiful MTM suits and other great pieces. They aren't cheap and my temper ( though getting better) is bad. I don't the unwarranted hate specially from people who don't know anything about real garment construction. If it doesn't fit their sense of style , great but to say something is crap with no basis is just rude. I will make a thread once I sew the rest of the buttons on the sport coat and have a photographer take pics. Best, Mauro
People's opinions sway because they're on this forum to find clothing they like. Regular contributing members' opinions are weighed higher, so new users will follow them to get a better sense of style. I think they should listen to them, but make a style of their own. A lot of posters on SW&D really like flannel shirts - I can't stand them. Or sperrys, vans, and especially peacoats, can't see myself wearing any of them. There's a whole thread on Clarks desert boots, and to this day, I have not seen a look from there I like with those (in my opinion) monstrosities on. If I do, I think they'd look better with another pair of shoes on. Users on SW&D will say they're staples, but I disagree. It's up to the individual poster to take what he likes from all these threads, both in MC and SW&D, to put on the best look. I've learned to pay attention to fit, color combinations, and appropriate setting to wear the right thing - I just had to get past the snarking on SW&D to learn these things.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Baron
There used to be more crossover between the two. I used to participate a lot on both, but now I don't much on either. I'm a little old for sw&d and not tacky enough for mc.

teacha.gif

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Baron

fistbump.gif

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I just hit 'new posts'. I rarely even actually click into either forum so I guess you could say I play for both teams (no ****).

although I do agree there's quite a different sort of vibe in both. I suspect it's probably the age and lifestyle reasons.

AR_Six

"Sookie!"
Reaction score
Originally Posted by *#..
There's a whole thread on Clarks desert boots, and to this day, I have not seen a look from there I like with those (in my opinion) monstrosities on... Users on SW&D will say they're staples...
Actually most of us consider that thread to be a joke. Even within sw&d there are distinct groups, the denizens of the clarks and jcrew thread and the others. That divide prompts the absolutely painful, horrendous "style vs. fashion" debate that rears its ugly head every few weeks. The forum has moved away from that gingham / raw denim / chucks or chukkas uniform go-to minimalist standard it had a few years ago and more towards riskier more avant stuff such that there are people who would fit in on stylezeitgeist if they could stomach the tone. Hence there is a great deal more variety than there was.

I occasionally venture into MC but find that there is indeed a gap, ie:

http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=226442

I have no idea if the list of examples there is meant to be serious or is intended as self-parody.

word

Reaction score
Too many ppl at sw&d have a chip on their shoulder and use the forum to vent. I internet to get away from BS like that, it's no surprise I only check this forum like once a week. Also haven't looked at waywt much during the last year. Gotta scroll past 20 people wearing lumberjack stuff, j crew, clarks, skinny jeans/peacoat just to find smth interesting. Takes too much time.

The SW&D mega threads are very useful. Learn to search inside a specific thread.

Don't go to MC so I dunno. At a glance they're mostly older and more mellow. But their quoting in waywt is ******* ridiculous. You see the same picture 10 times on one page with little pointless 1 line comments. If it's changed don't hurt me, I haven't looked lately. If I had to wear a uniform every day I'd check that forum more.

*#..

Reaction score
Originally Posted by AR_Six
Actually most of us consider that thread to be a joke. Even within sw&d there are distinct groups, the denizens of the clarks and jcrew thread and the others. That divide prompts the absolutely painful, horrendous "style vs. fashion" debate that rears its ugly head every few weeks. The forum has moved away from that gingham / raw denim / chucks or chukkas uniform go-to minimalist standard it had a few years ago and more towards riskier more avant stuff such that there are people who would fit in on stylezeitgeist if they could stomach the tone. Hence there is a great deal more variety than there was. I occasionally venture into MC but find that there is indeed a gap, ie: http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=226442 I have no idea if the list of examples there is meant to be serious or is intended as self-parody.
Good to know I'm not the only one who thinks that whole thread is a disgrace. You're right on the distinct groups being present. I see a lot of new users posting about Lands End Canvas, which isn't the case for most other threads. What do you mean by the DTO thread on MC?
Originally Posted by word
Too many ppl at sw&d have a chip on their shoulder and use the forum to vent. I internet to get away from BS like that, it's no surprise I only check this forum like once a week. Also haven't looked at waywt much during the last year. Gotta scroll past 20 people wearing lumberjack stuff, j crew, clarks, skinny jeans/peacoat just to find smth interesting. Takes too much time. The SW&D mega threads are very useful. Learn to search inside a specific thread. Don't go to MC so I dunno. At a glance they're mostly older and more mellow. But their quoting in waywt is ******* ridiculous. You see the same picture 10 times on one page with little pointless 1 line comments. If it's changed don't hurt me, I haven't looked lately. If I had to wear a uniform every day I'd check that forum more.
+1, this is exactly how I feel. If I see red/black flannel, I immediately think lumberjack. Such a bad look on anyone, don't know why they wear the stuff. I've viewed the what you're wearing thread (don't know/care for its abbreviation) a few times, but gave up on it for the same reasons as you. Too many pics of the same things you mentioned over and over, and I'm too lazy to look through all of it. Lots of unnecessary snarking in the discussion thread as well. Yeah, the MC posters are definitely older, and they have more traditional, preppy preferences.

Mauro

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Good god, I now I don't need to start but what the hell.
I agree with the last 3 posts. I think what happens is a little bubble occurs. There are so many ways to wear buffalo check and Flannel. However people without a real sense of style can't break through a trend or particular look they already feel comfortable with. It's really hard to have your "own" style. This creates a re-occuring look which more people see and tend to copy, creating a trend or style,even.
Designers are the same way ( you will see buffalo check for fall"11 and flannel out the yang). We all steer towards a particular direction. The direction is formed in different ways.

current events
social settings
economy
and more..

No one person ( maybe a handful literally are exceptions to the rules) thinks for his/her self. People are influenced by so many things ( listed above). When the fabric Mills push a particular color , you will buy that color at some point.
With the economy a lot of mills , all over the world are closing. This makes it harder for designers not to use the same fabrics. When the designers use the same fabrics the press picks up on that and then the public.
I know I am not dong a good job on explaining myself and the topic is SO interesting.

What I try to do for the sake of believing I am different ( I am clearly not) I don't watch TV, read magazines, or go out much because when I am focusing on my collection I am hoping I am original. It's kind of silly considered I am bombarded with influences all the time. It's just my way of trying to do my thing.

As far as the criticism goes. A lot is unwarranted but does make for better reading
frown.gif
My only real complaint is that if someone is going to bash another person for making effort at least give the S.O.B. a reason with meaning not just-
"dude, that ******* sucks"
that's not helping. that's using the internet as a shield because that person ( rarely) would say something like the above mentioned to a real person that they weren't friends with.

People need to appreciate things outside their comfort zones and appreciate the look for what it is.
If it's unbalanced the look will reflect that and it can be voiced.
I compare it to picky eaters. They like what they like and that's it. I think that's bullshit. There are SO many good foods out there and to just eat a handful of things is crazy to me but you will never know you like it til you try it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads