• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Subforum Cultural Divide: Mens Clothing vs. Streetwear

thebunk

Reaction score
I did a search on this topic and if it has been done, I cannot find it (please post the link if it is out there so I can use that one instead).

Anyway, back to the topic at hand, in all of my years of boarding on many different forums, across different topics, I have never witnessed such different behaviours between two sub-forums within the same forum. I think it is pretty much known how non-newb friendly the Streetwear and Denim forum is. People get **** on for creating new threads like they just got caught fondeling Jet's\\Uncontrol's mother. All that said, the Affiliate Threads in this forum are the ones I read the most on the whole site (TOJ, Leather Soul for Alden, Epaulet)

The Men's Clothing forum is totally different. People are definitiely more accepting of newbish behaviour and I would say much more helpful (in my experience). Also, I find the WAYWRN thread in this forum much more enjoyable and inspirational then some of the Nom de Walking Dead fits in the Streetwear forum.

Anyway, both forums have their stars (Spoo, New York Ranger, Shoreman, etc) and purpose, yet have diversely different cultural vibes. Is it the maturity of the posters between the two forums or that one forum has some stronger personalities then the other? Or is it something entirely different altogether?

Pantisocrat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There's a lot of cussing and foul language on the streetwear forum. I don't know why it's even tolerated. The objectives of newb posters between the two seem obvious enough: to look good for girls vs. to look good for the job.

medtech_expat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just checked into streetwear yesterday, and the majority of threads on the front page had thousands of posts. I just can't be bothered with the investment in time...

Lel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There's a lot less to discuss on the MC forum, so without having newbies constantly ask questions there would be almost no discussion there.

thebunk

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lel
There's a lot less to discuss on the MC forum, so without having newbies constantly ask questions there would be almost no discussion there.

You really think that is the case? And even if it is, do you think Streetwear veterans get stressed out from the newbs asking questions because there is so much to talk about that they do not have time to answer questions rather then say "this was discussed ******* 24 pages back" or "use the search function you cocksmoker!!"

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I rarely venture into SW&D except an occasional peek at their WAYWRN, but from the most general perspective, I can only assume that the average general age between the two forums kind of defines the tone.

Mauro

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
There really isn't much difference between the two. You have your louder more outspoken posters on both forums. You have your leaders, followers, and dicks.
I get a lot of PM's from both groups. I also get **** from both groups.
The difference to me is
SW&D are more fashion forward thinkers. Menswear tends to be more Trad. SW&D do tend to spend more money on things they like. The people on menswear tend to be more frugal. The menswear crowd wants to purchase Kiton or RRL purple label but never want to pay retail. SW&D people tend to understand and appreciate the basics and invest in them and then go after the trends with full force.
That's how I view the two for a retailers perspective.
I wish more Menswear readers would follow my thread and try my stuff. They claim to understand quality but are a little more timid to try take that fashion forward step.

I am always here to help if a person has a question that is legitimate and that's the real difference. the readership of menswear is a lot larger than of SW&D so there is more bullshit to wade through. To many cooks in the kitchen that don't deserve to be cooking, if you get my drift. In SW&D people don't really tolerate dumb questions or people and are quick to police their own. So I could see someone thinking that the people on SW&D don't like newbs when in fact they just don't want **** backing up their pipes.

I hope this makes sense .

Mauro

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I am a designer/retailer. I have a thread on both Mens clothing and SW&D. I sell product which is favored in SW&D but not so much in Mens clothing. I would like more people from Menswear to follow my thread and buy my stuff. What's not to understand?

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mauro
I am a designer/retailer. I have a thread on both Mens clothing and SW&D. I sell product which is favored in SW&D but not so much in Mens clothing. I would like more people from Menswear to follow my thread and buy my stuff. What's not to understand?

Without that background, I had no idea what "follow my thread" and "try my stuff" meant. I understand what it means now, as I never saw your thread. Thanks.

uhurit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just went thru a few pages of WAYWT streetwear thread
blush.gif

bounce2.gif
bounce2.gif
bounce2.gif

I don't know if the term "fashion-forward" could be applied to any outfits there...unless being an urban pseudo-lumberjack is it.

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If that's true, I'd suggest not characterizing MC as Trad.

Geoff Gander

Reaction score

Just visited your site - I like a lot of your chinos - especially espresso. I checked out the shirts, and they seem (based on the model) to be very slim-fitting. Is this so?

Not to sound like a prole, but do you have any promotional codes right now?

G

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads