Sub Zero Refrigerators

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by tiecollector, Mar 3, 2009.

1. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

SubZero being only for hipsters is LOL silly, but why am I surprised?
    +1 - just the latest in a very long series of similar comments to make himself look SOOOO much cooler than the average joe. the best of the best, only the best for me - the rest for all you plebeians. ugh... give me a bushy-beard hipster any time over this.

2. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

I have a SZ, going on four years, no problems yet. My mother has one that is more like 11 or 12 years old, and the company sent someone out to replace the compresser with a new, more energy efficient model, free of charge. They did, however, charge her for the new freon.

3. RJman

RJman Posse Member Dubiously Honored

Yea...insulting me over fridge opinions seems reasonable (sigh).

I don't think there is anything wrong with a Sub Zero itself...it's just the taint it has by holding such a holy place in yuppy lore that turns me off.

haha you said taint lulz

4. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt The Liberator Dubiously Honored

I have a SZ, going on four years, no problems yet. My mother has one that is more like 11 or 12 years old, and the company sent someone out to replace the compresser with a new, more energy efficient model, free of charge. They did, however, charge her for the new freon.
    Yo mama wears thick rimmed black glasses. Yo mama is a hipster.

5. RJman

I can just see the new demonstration with people carrying signs saying, "FREON ISN'T FREE."

6. gdl203

Yo mama wears thick rimmed black glasses. Yo mama is a hipster.

Manton after he whips out a semi-cold PBR from his under-performing fridge

[​IMG]

7. freshcutgrass

freshcutgrass Senior member

Right...and your feelings of inadequacy based on what you wrongly perceive to be my motives is my problem because.....oh wait..it isn't my problem.

If my opinions about Sub Zero being the automatic go-to bragging rights bling kitchen item bothers you, then perhaps it's really just a case of yuppy guilt rearing its ugly head?

And you have it backwards...if I wanted to be "cool", I'd be in the Sub Zero camp.

I mean com'on...you know if something as inane as a fridge brand has reached the point of pop culture lore, when it garners a line in a Woody Allen film....

Harry Block:
    Doctor:

8. gdl203

Case in point. [​IMG]

9. freshcutgrass

Hey...if you were so put off by people trying to act cool on the internet, you wouldn't be a senior member of this forum with 11,000 posts. LOL

Just who the fuk do you think you are fooling?

10. gdl203

Off the deep end...

11. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

I like the SZ because it is cabinet depth, has a lot of room, and nice features. The quality is very high. Mine still looks basically new and works as well as ever. All this hipster stuff is beyond me.

Yes, it cost a lot, but I like it better than the Viking I got at the same time, and a lot better than the lame-ass hood that I bought.

12. RJman

I like the SZ because it is cabinet depth, has a lot of room, and nice features. The quality is very high. Mine still looks basically new and works as well as ever. All this hipster stuff is beyond me.

Yes, it cost a lot, but I like it better than the Viking I got at the same time, and a lot better than the lame-ass hood that I bought.

Why do you like PBR?

13. freshcutgrass

At least I'm in the thread do discuss the topic...not carry on unprovoked character attacks.

I'm not trying to be cool by simply upping the anti with some other more esoteric item than mentioned. My profession involves in depth knowledge of heat pumps (and a fridge is just a heat pump). The Traulsen model mentioned is a benchmark commercial quality product ideally suited for residential use, and is something I have personally coveted for some time.

I feel perfectly justified in giving my opinion who the "king" of fridges is.

14. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt The Liberator Dubiously Honored

Why do you like PBR?
    Because his mom is a hipster. He was born into it.

15. mafoofan

mafoofan THE FOO Dubiously Honored

Okay, stupid question: what makes one refrigerator better than another? Why a SubZero or Traulson, and not a GE Profile?