• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sub-$1000 Formal Wear, does it exist?

musicguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I need new white tie dress. Unfortunately I don't have a couple grand to spend on it. My current tails fit like crap and are very uncomfortable. I haven't cared about it in the past because I was thinking of it more as a uniform (I'm a classical musician). But it's starting to bug the crap out of me these days.

What makes things worse, is that formalwear almost never goes on sale. The cheapest one BB has is always $1600 and cut very traditionally (boxy).

Where can I find nice formalwear that's not going to break the bank? You know the drill... peak lapels, high armholes, etc. I live in the states. Or, is it not possible?

Rolex Luthor

Reaction score
If you have an upscale resale shop (or two) where you live, you can check there. Even if they don't have something usable on hand, if you ask for the manager and leave him/her your business card with a note saying you are interested in formal wear they come across, they will seek it out for you. Let them know you're willing to pay a few hundred bucks for a good set of tails.

MrDaniels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Have you considered trying to buy a used one from a rental place?

Artking3

Reaction score
Originally Posted by MrDaniels

I think the OP wanted "nice" formalwear.

andrew96

Reaction score
I don't know if there's a place in your town, but there's a place in Richmond, VA called Bygones. They sell formal wear of all sorts from before the 60s. You may want to give them a call. They're stuff is from $50-$200.

musicguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MrDaniels
Do rental stores really rent out high quality formalwear? I've never heard of that. My tails were purchased new, the same things they rented out. It's crap.
Originally Posted by Artking3
I think the OP wanted "nice" formalwear.
wink.gif
Originally Posted by andrew96
I don't know if there's a place in your town, but there's a place in Richmond, VA called Bygones. They sell formal wear of all sorts from before the 60s. You may want to give them a call. They're stuff is from $50-$200.
Interesting idea. Anyway, bumping the thread. I'm beginning to think it's impossible to find quality formal wear on the cheap. I'm thinking about stopping by JAB, although very begrudgingly. Everything else I wear is of really high quality, so I'm not looking forward to skimping on quality. Heck, is there anything nice ever available under a grand?

lemmywinks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you live in Asia you could get a MTM ensemble from as low as $150 if you find the right places. That's what I did for my prom because it was cheaper than a rental. I paid around $50 for the bow tie from BB. I really wanted to find a waistcoat and I even got them to make one for me but the waistcoat they made me was a mess so I just stuck with a cummerbund. I ended up looking like this.
ofdnp0.png

steviepowers

Reaction score
Originally Posted by musicguy
Do rental stores really rent out high quality formalwear? I've never heard of that. My tails were purchased new, the same things they rented out. It's crap.
wink.gif
Interesting idea. Anyway, bumping the thread. I'm beginning to think it's impossible to find quality formal wear on the cheap. I'm thinking about stopping by JAB, although very begrudgingly. Everything else I wear is of really high quality, so I'm not looking forward to skimping on quality. Heck, is there anything nice ever available under a grand?

Do rental stores really hire out quality formal wear? Are yoooouu serious?
plain.gif
depends where you live... but here where I am I can name you several high quality rental stores... where you can get brands like Armani, Hugo Boss and Salwar Kameez!

musicguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@lemmiwinks: Don't live in Asia, so cheap MTM is out of the question. I'm happy no one has recommended Indochino. Not a chance in hell I'll buy a suit from them.

Anyway, you're wearing semi-formal wear... not quite what I'm looking for.

@steviepowers:
facepalm.gif

Changed the title of this thread and bumping... Sub-$1000 formal wear... is it a possibility?

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm glad I no longer have to deal with this, especially as my tastes matured. When I was an orchestral musician keeping two sets of formal and two sets of semi plus shirts was a steep bill versus the wages.

Good luck!

TimelesStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know I'm going to get flamed for the following, but whatever:

How often do you wear semi-formal/black tie? I ask because, were I in your position (needing white tie only for performances), but also wore a tux fairly often, I'd probably buy a fantastic tuxedo and not worry as much about cost, then a relatively cheap tailcoat from JAB and just use the trousers/shoes/shirt(assuming wing collar/pique front)/studs/braces from the tuxedo for performances. From the distance you will be seen, nobody is going to notice (especially if you are seated) and presumably you already have a serviceable tie and waistcoat.

Master Squirrel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It does exist, but you do need to look for it. As TimelesStyle points out what you should get depends on your need. I have shopped around and have one nice full tux. I also have a number of jacket variations that depend on season/mood (including a wonderful vintage brocade smoking jacket). My tails are only used for promenades* and steampunk events so I don't mind that their labels read "the Dynasty Collection inspired by the TV show" and reek of high-hopped beers and cigars. *aka pub crawls in Victorian dress

musicguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cary Grant
I'm glad I no longer have to deal with this, especially as my tastes matured. When I was an orchestral musician keeping two sets of formal and two sets of semi plus shirts was a steep bill versus the wages. Good luck!
Thank you for understanding my predicament! Yes, my tastes are significantly more mature than they used to be. The rest of my wardrobe is all very nice, but my tux and tails are all pretty bad.
Originally Posted by TimelesStyle
I know I'm going to get flamed for the following, but whatever: How often do you wear semi-formal/black tie? I ask because, were I in your position (needing white tie only for performances), but also wore a tux fairly often, I'd probably buy a fantastic tuxedo and not worry as much about cost, then a relatively cheap tailcoat from JAB and just use the trousers/shoes/shirt(assuming wing collar/pique front)/studs/braces from the tuxedo for performances. From the distance you will be seen, nobody is going to notice (especially if you are seated) and presumably you already have a serviceable tie and waistcoat.
Unfortunately, I wear both semi-formal and formal wear often; often enough to warrant having to have a nice tux and tailcoat. In fact, I probably wear my tails more than my tux. Yes, probably no one can tell the difference from the audience (I know I can barely tell the difference on other people when in the audience) but I can on myself. Also, a properly fitting/made tailcoat will be more comfortable to play in the one I have now, which is a very important factor.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads