• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

    Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

    Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Stylish women much more attractive?

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Joined
Feb 17, 2002
Messages
14,914
Reaction score
98
Spinning off the high standards thread,

Originally Posted by Rome
Well without getting into some Ecoesque dissertation on beauty, it’s an intangible abstract with its own propensity for subjectiveness, take for example high art. But for the purposes of this conversation beauty thus far has equaled attractiveness which is quantifiable. I simply posit that taken for example the pictures in the “Attractive Women” thread, most here are in agreement as to their attractiveness, show those pictures to less stylish people than yourselves and you would find the same percentage of plebs would find those same pictures attractive. Beauty as a societal construct is quantifiable. One thing is attractiveness but the psychology of attraction is different.

To some degree, physical beauty is universally quantifiable. But I wonder if we self-selected group find a stylish, but otherwise unremarkable woman much more attractive than your average guy would.

I know I do. In fact, I've ironically found that I tend to like girls who become somewhat more attractive while clothed than... not. Maybe it's because most of the time I'm around them, they are clothed, and so it keeps me interested, and it's that simple. Or maybe not.

I also seem to be unusal in that I find, shall we say, artistic representations of the female form much more intriguing if the woman is somewhat (even if futilely) clothed. Leaving something to the imagination, maybe, but I think clothing properly used can enhance natural physical beauty to a remarkable degree.

Discuss.
 

Manton

RINO
Dubiously Honored
Joined
Apr 20, 2002
Messages
41,583
Reaction score
2,855
Pretty girl dressed like a slob v. "average" or plain jane dressed to the nines (in a classy way). Prefer the latter, in most cases.
 

Saucemaster

Sized Down 2
Joined
Mar 9, 2006
Messages
6,678
Reaction score
3
Originally Posted by j
I also seem to be unusal in that I find, shall we say, artistic representations of the female form much more intriguing if the woman is somewhat (even if futilely) clothed. Leaving something to the imagination, maybe, but I think clothing properly used can enhance natural physical beauty to a remarkable degree.
Agreed. A strategically clothed woman can be even sexier than a naked one, even a mythical Perfect 10. As for stylish women being more attractive than they would be otherwise, yes. But I have to say, for me personally, it's a really marginal factor. A woman with a face that leaves me feeling like the ground just dropped out from under me can be wearing sweats and an oversized hoodie and I'd still be more attracted to her than a woman who was sort of average-level pretty but with a killer sense of style. I think this only really holds for really huge disparities, though. In the more realistic range, where a girl is *pretty* but not *gorgeous*, style can go a long way to separating her from the pack, and can elevate her above women who might be otherwise a bit more attractive.
 

Manton

RINO
Dubiously Honored
Joined
Apr 20, 2002
Messages
41,583
Reaction score
2,855
Basically, if I may rephrase the question: In which sense are we more shallow? In prefering natural, physical beauty or artifice and clothing?
 

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Joined
Jul 25, 2006
Messages
29,128
Reaction score
1,318
Looking stylish and well-put-together implies care and some effort, even if the effect seem effortless. I'll take care and effort and plain over sloppy and careless and pretty, up to a point - all other factors being equal.
 

StevenRocks

Senior Member
Joined
Feb 19, 2005
Messages
617
Reaction score
0
Any woman can look good if she takes care of herself, even if she's not drop-dead gorgeous.
 

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Joined
Feb 17, 2002
Messages
14,914
Reaction score
98
Originally Posted by Thomas
Looking stylish and well-put-together implies care and some effort, even if the effect seem effortless. I'll take care and effort and plain over sloppy and careless and pretty, up to a point - all other factors being equal.
That's definitely part of it. I mean, if I "end up" (shudder) with her, is the place going to be a mess and will she let herself completely go? An important consideration for anything long-term.

Even when I "get comfortable" with girls, I rarely present myself to them as unattractively as some of them seem happy to do as soon as possible. Major turnoff.
 

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Joined
Feb 17, 2002
Messages
14,914
Reaction score
98
Originally Posted by Manton
Basically, if I may rephrase the question: In which sense are we more shallow? In prefering natural, physical beauty or artifice and clothing?
I don't think I saw the question the first time, but I'll try: I don't think it has to do with being shallow unless beauty is your sole concern (another question). For me it was more a question of whether good choices of clothing can significantly change a person's mind about a girl's attractiveness.

I think a part of it, too, is that if a girl is obviously somewhat stylish/self-aware/vain (not too vain, of course) she is more likely to understand me and my interests. And in fact is probably more likely to be attracted to me (by my presentation), which is one of the most attractive things about anyone.
 

Manton

RINO
Dubiously Honored
Joined
Apr 20, 2002
Messages
41,583
Reaction score
2,855
Originally Posted by j
For me it was more a question of whether good choices of clothing can significantly change a person's mind about a girl's attractiveness.
I would say, Hell yes, no question.

I think a part of it, too, is that if a girl is obviously somewhat stylish/self-aware/vain (not too vain, of course) she is more likely to understand me and my interests. And in fact is probably more likely to be attracted to me (by my presentation), which is one of the most attractive things about anyone.
Probably it's just my other shortcomings, but I have met very few women who gave a damn or was the least bit impressed by men's clothes, or really cared one way or the other. The few that do seem to like designer crap that I wouldn't touch.

I have a line in my book about how the smartly attired gent gets the girl after work in the bar. One of the people who reviewed the manuscript spotted that and objected, strongly, insisting that it was false and that I take it out. I explained that it was a joke, but he was not mollified.
 

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Joined
Feb 17, 2002
Messages
14,914
Reaction score
98
I don't remember the line - what is objectionable about it?

Maybe I'm lucky, but I've run into a few girls who dig my clothing hobby.
 

heavyd

Senior Member
Joined
Mar 12, 2006
Messages
535
Reaction score
0
much more. much, much more. style can make an average babe sexy.
 

JesseJB

Distinguished Member
Joined
Nov 10, 2006
Messages
1,351
Reaction score
3
Originally Posted by j
I don't remember the line - what is objectionable about it?

Maybe I'm lucky, but I've run into a few girls who dig my clothing hobby.



*my first SF post ever*


Im from Seattle also, J. And stylish people are so few and far between here, IMO, that if a stylish (or not stylish) girl actually notices my style, the entire conversation ends up being based on clothing. A problem for me.
 

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Joined
Feb 17, 2002
Messages
14,914
Reaction score
98
Originally Posted by JesseJB
*my first SF post ever*


Im from Seattle also, J. And stylish people are so few and far between here, IMO, that if a stylish (or not stylish) girl actually notices my style, the entire conversation ends up being based on clothing. A problem for me.

Cool to have you here. See, that is an easily solved problem. Firstly, talking with an attractive girl about anything you can stand is never that bad, right? Secondly, it's pretty easy to transition from what interesting pieces she's wearing (you may need to politely feel the fabric, if appropriate, to appraise them) to where she got them, and places she likes to go and things she likes to do... really, the main problem I've had is how to appear/prove ungay while having a convo like this. NTTATWWT, but it can put the hurt on your game.
 

lawyerdad

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
Mar 10, 2006
Messages
24,405
Reaction score
10,480
Originally Posted by JesseJB
*my first SF post ever*


Im from Seattle also, J. And stylish people are so few and far between here, IMO, that if a stylish (or not stylish) girl actually notices my style, the entire conversation ends up being based on clothing. A problem for me.

Remove the clothes. Problem solved.
 

Jared

Distinguished Member
Joined
Sep 19, 2006
Messages
1,635
Reaction score
1
Originally Posted by j
Cool to have you here. See, that is an easily solved problem. Firstly, talking with an attractive girl about anything you can stand is never that bad, right? Secondly, it's pretty easy to transition from what interesting pieces she's wearing (you may need to politely feel the fabric, if appropriate, to appraise them) to where she got them, and places she likes to go and things she likes to do... really, the main problem I've had is how to appear/prove ungay while having a convo like this. NTTATWWT, but it can put the hurt on your game.
There's one school of thought that says that a good suit should make a man look good without it being obvious why, otherwise the suit is wearing him. I don't know how many people actually subscribe to this, but you could derive from it that you should focus on your comments on accessories that are obviously selected to stand out, thereby not demonstrating subtler appreciation of things like cut. It should also be clear that you're feeling the fabric because you're a sensual tactilist rather than someone who can appraise fabric by touch (and therefore you should do it spontaneously rather than politely). I don't know whether it's appropriate to bring up "Seduction Theory" (eg: alt.seduction.fast), but a standard technique therein is to "neg" or slightly put-down very attractive women. Knowledge of clothing should make this easy as members of this forum can find fault in even the highest-end men's clothes.
 

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

  • 1 - 4

    Votes: 32 3.8%
  • 5 - 10

    Votes: 144 17.1%
  • 11 - 20

    Votes: 280 33.2%
  • 21 - 30

    Votes: 132 15.7%
  • 31 - 40

    Votes: 71 8.4%
  • 41 - 50

    Votes: 49 5.8%
  • 51 - 60

    Votes: 25 3.0%
  • 61 - 70

    Votes: 22 2.6%
  • 71 - 80

    Votes: 17 2.0%
  • 81 - 90

    Votes: 8 0.9%
  • 91 - 100

    Votes: 9 1.1%
  • 100+

    Votes: 54 6.4%

Related Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
429,248
Messages
9,231,316
Members
193,772
Latest member
Leander walker
Top