• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, youโ€™ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stylish way to carry an SLR?

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aqhong
^ I haven't personally used the R-Strap; what I meant to say was that the developers of the LumaLoop created their product as sort of an improvement on Black Rapid's design.

Here are the weblog posts in which James Duncan Davidson (the photographer half of Luma Labs) details his experiences with the R-Strap and the development process of what eventually became the LumaLoop:
http://blog.duncandavidson.com/2009/...e-r-strap.html
http://blog.duncandavidson.com/2009/...ap-update.html
http://blog.duncandavidson.com/2009/...-update-2.html

In short, the things he didn't like about the R-Strap:
- the entire strap disconnects (and the camera falls to the ground) if a certain clasp is accidentally tripped
- the connection point is a somewhat insecure carabiner (the LumaLoop uses a quick release buckle)
- the strap can only be attached to a tripod thread, which may not be ideal (the LumaLoop can be attached wherever a lanyard can be threaded)

This looks really good. I had the same concern about the Blackrapid with the strap holding on by the screw only. I like the lanyard idea as well as the ease of removal from the strap. I generally prefer to just have a hand strap on but there are some times I want to have both hands free. I think i will order one of these. Thanks for the heads up!

Bullitt

Reaction score
I have decided to get a Billingham Hadley Pro in khaki. The bag is available in two materials: canvas and Fibrenyte. Obviously Fibrenyte is lighter as it is synthetic. What is the benefit of canvas?

It would be great if Billingham bag owners could share their experience with the different materials.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So, I went ahead and ordered one of those LumaLoops straps. I will post a review after trying it out.

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Alter
So, I went ahead and ordered one of those LumaLoops straps. I will post a review after trying it out.

Please do.

I tried walking around with my D40 yesterday w/ the regular neck strap and it's such a pain **********.

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TRINI
Please do.

I tried walking around with my D40 yesterday w/ the regular neck strap and it's such a pain **********.

Ah ******* - I caved and ordered one today.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TRINI
Ah ******* - I caved and ordered one today.

Hahaha. Post your review too. Mine should arrive in a few days.

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hahaha. Post your review too. Mine should arrive in a few days.

I got mine last week and it pretty much works as advertised.

Keeps the SLR hanging conveniently at your side, relieves the strain on your neck, etc.

My only complaint is where they put the release clasp on the strap, i,e. right next to the shoulder pad. I feel like I may accidently release the strap when grabbing the shoulder pad.

Other than that, i give it a
thumbs-up.gif

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Filson?

insomb

Reaction score
I just got an Artist& Artisan ACAM 3000 and I like it alot. It is fairly small but holds a Nikon D90 with an 18-200 lens and still has room for another lens. http://www.aaa-shop.jp/fs/aaa01/g5aa/ACAM-3000
The canvas is nice...not super thick, but strong.

I also got a padded liner that I put in a small uniqlo shoulder bag.

Can you post some photos? There aren't very many good ones on the net. I'm trying to fit a D3000..

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by insomb
Can you post some photos? There aren't very many good ones on the net. I'm trying to fit a D3000..

Sorry...just noticed this comment. I am away from home for a few days so I can't get a picture but a D3000 is smaller than the D90 I use so it should be fine, depending on the size of the lens(es).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads