• We would like to welcome Exquisite Trimmings as an official Affiliate Vendor. Exquisite Trimmings is a UK based purveyor of the very best in clothing and accessories, from gloves by Thomas Reimer to leather portfolios from Il Micio, to watch rolls by Rapport London. Please visit their new thread and give them a warm welcome.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Stylish talk-show hosts of the past/present

doughboysc

Reaction score
Here's my favorite stylish talk show hosts.

Past
Dick Cavett b, 1936 (I share the same birthday with him): On his old ABC shows from 1968-1975, he wore mostly J. Press suits (since he's a Yale alum), brown suede shoes. On some shows from 1970 like when he interviewed the late Janis Joplin on June 25, 1970 (before her passing in October), and Sly Stone on July 13, 1970, was he wearing an off-the-rack Turnbull & Asser shirt? I've noticed the multibutton cuffs on his sleeve. (T&A has a signature three-button cuff) And on the September 21, 1970 broadcast when he interviewed John Cassavates, Peter Falk, and Ben Gazzara (all three are gone but not forgotten) when they promoted the movie Husbands. Cavett was wearing a checked sportcoat (from J. Press), grey slacks, stripped shirt, and striped tie. Very classic.

Sir David Frost b. 1939, an English dandy and a legend. He mostly wears T&A shirts (mostly bespoke) and T&A neckties (I seen clips of his old talk show in the USA from the 1960s/1970s and pictures of him wearing a T&A 3 button cuff shirt, sometimes french [brits call it double] cuffs) and tailored English suits like Hardy Aimes to Doug Hayward. Unfortunately, in my market his syndicated show wasn't airing at all from 1969-72. I've seen some episodes on YouTube and years ago on VH1. But some selected markets like NYC, Los Angeles, Chicago, etc.

Mike Douglas b. 1925 d. 2006 was a great dandy and a singer too. In the late 1960s/early 1970s he had great colored dress shirts and kipper neckties. Ironically, he was born and died on August 11th!

Johnny Carson b. 1925 d. 2005 The King of Late-Night that's all I can say. In the 1970s he had loud patterns, wideneckties, and his hair was greyer than in the 1960s. He even wear windsor knots (sometimes four in hand knots) on neckties. Even had his own clothing line back then. He was a legend that's gone, but his memories lives on!

George Lopez b. 1961 Was a great talk show host after his sitcom cancelled years earlier. He wore mostly suits w or w/o necktie.(windsor knots). It was good, but his TBS show didn't last long than Jimmy Fallon on NBC.

Present
Jay Leno b. 1950 I call him The Grover Cleveland of The Tonight Show after his failed prime time show ended and the Leno/Conan timeslot fiasco at NBC. Different story. Besides wearing suits on his show, outside the show he wears mostly the same old blue denim shirt.

Jimmy Fallon b. 1974 Is the new Cavett. He's stylish and trendy. You never seen him wear double breasted suits while interviewing folks on Late Night on NBC.

Conan O'Brien b. 1963 Is fighting back as a talk show host. This time on TBS (sans Max Weinberg) and his suits are stylish even for a man who stands at 6'4". He needs plaid sportcoats, bold stripes, and strong patterns for a tall man like Coco.

David Letterman b. 1947 (my cousin shares the same birthday as Dave) Is a good ole man. Pre-CBS days he had sport coats, jeans, and sneakers. At CBS for many years he mostly wears double breasted suits.

Jeremy Kyle b. 1965 Is the next David Frost. He needs to wear neckties more often.

Who's your favorite stylish talk show host?

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

What's your favorite summer fabric?

• Seersucker

• Fresco

• Linen

• Silk

Results are only viewable after voting.