• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stylish Non-Clothing Things

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

AvaTsosieCrystalOTL5-14-11.jpg

Most probably, but I can't help but share my own current OCD-
Handmade in the US, from a nearly extinct 4-horned local sheep by artisans who put their heart and soul into each piece over a month of work.
Some of the textiles are of all natural dye, others don't use any dye at all. The white, brown, black and white above is just the color of the wool, from the multicolor Churro sheep. The history of that red involves a beetle from Central America. The Churro was originally from Andulasia, passed to them by the Spaniards. The art of weaving was passed to these folk by the descendants of the Anasazi.
And out of nothing the Navajo women weaved their own culture. They say each rug is a prayer; they say life is the sheep.
It is simply amazing that these things are still made. It is less stunning, but typical, that this is thought of by most Americans as "southwest kitsch".
A good Navajo rug just a wonder.

There's a book called, "A Perfect Red", which outlays the history of that dye. At the time it was a very precious commodity, and its trade had global repercussions. It's still used as a natural food dye and in clothes for people who have allergies to the coal based dyes we primarily use now. Worth reading.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I have three of these:

I got the second one because I couldn't find the first one before a trip. Then I found it after the trip. Then I couldn't find the first two. Then I got a third. Then, they all showed up.

What's your "serious" camera these days? Please don't disappoint with something banal like a 5D Mark II.

Selvaggio

Reaction score

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would be interested to see photos of preferred home furnishings. A nice studded leather wing chair, an exquisite valet, dressing mirrors, things of that nature for the dressing environment. Things that enhance the dressing ritual.

Last edited:

aizan

Reaction score
gah! stylish cameras need their own thread. i'm setting up a blog all about camera design; a critical mass has been reached.

i'll post some non-camera items tomorrow evening.

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I would be interested to see photos of preferred home furnishings. A nice studded leather wing chair, an exquisite valet, dressing mirrors, things of that nature for the dressing environment. Things that enhance the dressing ritual.

37297_A2_Miniature_Chair_Mies_Barcelona_Chair_MR90.jpg

Le-Corbusier-LC2-Sofa-Couch-Brown-Color.jpeg

Last edited:

add911_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If PG is still around, he should show us the bikes he has........

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I once lived on the Navajo reservation - a bunch of their stuff is great, really trendy right now obviously, but it was and will be great forever. The silversmithing and the rugs are really accessible, honest American work. I really like the Navajo Germantown eyedazzler rugs:
1057430_1_l.jpg

I like Amish quilts as well, I think as money permits I want to start collecting Navajo rugs, Amish quilts, and Ukiyo-e.

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
My next door neighbor has an Audi A6 3.2 S-line as his daily driver I always see him taking his elderly mother places in, and then putts around very occasionally in his 1969 series i E-type coupe, usually at night. I live up on a higher floor, so at night if I'm out on the patio and I see the Jag come home, the top view of that thing - it's amazing. Intensely beautiful, just so much more impressive than modern exotic cars. The bonnet seems to go on forever, the vents on the hood talk business, and it's voluptuous - the hips on that car are sexy as hell. His E-type is dark green with a '19-69' license plate.

G_65_coupe_green.jpg

black_umbrella

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Props to anyone who knows what this is:
I haven't used mine in 3 years :(

This is a double valve section for a bass trombone. With thayer valves. Probably from an edwards or getzen.

I play mine every day.

did you go to their factory to get fitted? It was a fantastic experience, first time I ever go something sorta bespoke...

Last edited:

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
My mother has fanatically collected dinnerware and kitchen stuff for years, it takes up more than a couple rooms worth of storage. I am looking forward to inheriting it someday. There's an ungodly collection of Fire King in the jadite color that she bought up years ago when it was cheap or nearly free:
2405317209_7500117522_o.jpg

Lots of other series in large sets as well, a lot of vintage Americana. There's a full set of Griswold and Wagner cast iron cookware in there too. On my own lately, I am putting together functional collections of Le Creuset and Staub cocottes and have some better Baccarat and Japanese cut crystal, some bone china, and some Asian pottery for small plates, so I think someday I will have a pretty epic collection of stuff.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads