• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stylish is, as Stylish does

Condor

Reaction score
Is that how Forest Gump would say it?

I find myself in the transition between summer clothes and winter
clothes. And yes, I've had those pills for my car crash (see other thread), but I think it makes me more introspective, honestly.

My summer clothes were picked out by me. My winter clothes were picked out by my wife to be in one week. She's from Westchester. Her (step) dad made more in a month at 28, than I made in 12 years (at 28). (I am 42 now doing OK, not rich but i have money left over at the end of the month for sure)

It's just so amazing to kinda understand, the summer clothes (chosen by me), are clearly not as stylish as the winter clothes (chosen by her). And the thing is, I'm not poor (now)...I just do not at all recognize stylish until its on me. And I can say, yeah, wow, that is sure better than what I was choosing....How do you know stylish is stylish before it is on you?????

I'm not even sure what the point of this thread is....I do know you can't end a sentence in 'is'. Sure.

Can anybody see my point?

I welcome any replies and would like to reply myself.

And no, I am not marrying into money. He's got so much debt he can barely come to the wedding (NYC to NC) but his style of life, yes, I agree, it's better than me (no debt other than house and car). And his money isnt my money anyway I expect to make my own way in life and have.

faustian bargain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The primary skill is to be stylish yet not broke.

Condor

Reaction score
I don't think I'm broke
smile.gif
happily but I have been so before.

So, the wedding doesn't count that's rented clothes. But last year, I go up, with my little suit (its from 1994, european cut, I actually did put a lot of money into the shirt ($60)) so he says you're dressed nice. I know its probably not true for there. But at least I'm weighing in at about 158, which makes any suit look more stylish on you, in my opinion. Maybe he was just being nice.....

Now the grandparents are comming to the wedding which is fairly imtimidating because they are actually wealthy. Not rich, but wealthy.

So we're having a little thing, that is normal here. But i'd say its like really nice make your own sandwiches, but sit down still, about $22/head. The nice place is like $56/head. it would be better, I agree, but, that's double.

what was my point?

Oh, I have to go up at christmas again, and basically, I have the same
clothes as last year. You think that's OK?

Condor

Reaction score
BTW, this is really a site where I admire and respect the posters. If there is anybody going to be in NC on Nov. 18, message me, and you are welcome to come to the wedding. I would be honored by that.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Condor,

Do not sweat the in-laws. They're doing fine to know you're an honest man who won't trouble their daughter or ruin their name. Clothes are not their #1 concern - nor should it be yours - with a wedding coming up. You're joining their family, and if they're embracing you - and it sounds like they are - then you'll be fine. If you're really in knots about wearing the same thing as last year, try a different shirt or turtleneck and remember this line: "Oh, this old thing?" Far better to have money in the bank than a new suit and no money.

FWIW, winter clothes are nearly always more stylish. The colors are generally richer and darker, the fabrics are heavier and more textured, and you wear more of them! Summer is a barren wasteland for style compared to a good winter.

Enjoy your wedding, it will pass by in a flash!

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Condor

And no, I am not marrying into money. He's got so much debt he can barely come to the wedding (NYC to NC) but his style of life, yes, I agree, it's better than me (no debt other than house and car). And his money isnt my money anyway I expect to make my own way in life and have.

just to clarify: you're marrying a "he", right?

anyway, i'm glad that accident a while back is done and i hope you're back in the peak of your health. dont sweat the small stuff, be happy, and dont go into large debts yet. cheers!

ATM

Reaction score
Originally Posted by acidicboy
just to clarify: you're marrying a "he", right?
I think he was referring to her step-dad.

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Condor
I just do not at all recognize stylish until its on me. And I can say, yeah, wow, that is sure better than what I was choosing....How do you know stylish is stylish before it is on you?????

Don't sweat it, man. You've got to start somewhere. And being able to recognize what you like when you're wearing it is not bad. It just means you need to try on a lot of stuff, even if you have no plans to buy.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads