• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stylish hiking gear - does it exist?

Threadbearer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kaplan
...I'll only have to carry some water, lunch and maybe an extra layer if there's a chance of rain
No maybe about it, K. If you're doing 20 miles a day, carry two extra layers whether it looks like a chance of rain or not -- one extra layer of insulation, and one rain shell.

A pack like this should be perfect:

rei-25l-trail-pack.jpg

http://www.rei.com/product/778464

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ Agreed. I said one extra as I expect to wear the base + an insulation/wind stopping layer most of the time, with the waterproof layer as backup.

Unless you meant it's smart to bring two insulation layers? I could see that: Base layer, light insulation with no windbreaking but great breathability, soft shell in case the wind pics up and a waterproof hard shell. I'll probably bring all of this in the main luggage and hopefully after a short time on the trail I'll get a feel for what's actually needed day to day.

Thanks for the pack recommendation.

Mildly Consumptive

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am planning my annual mountain expedition right now. I'll be dressed head-to-toe in the best technical apparel you can get on sale on the internet. While perusing the internet the other day though, I came across a couple jackets that made me think the Expedition should have a "heritage" day. Both are available from SF affiliate Epaulet:

5472355191_4d821d9e97_b.jpg

5442737475_43a549f13b_b.jpg

Mildly Consumptive

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ Agreed. I said one extra as I expect to wear the base + an insulation/wind stopping layer most of the time, with the waterproof layer as backup.

Unless you meant it's smart to bring two insulation layers? I could see that: Base layer, light insulation with no windbreaking but great breathability, soft shell in case the wind pics up and a waterproof hard shell. I'll probably bring all of this in the main luggage and hopefully after a short time on the trail I'll get a feel for what's actually needed day to day.

Thanks for the pack recommendation.

Also, the finest breathable, windproof, lightly insulated, water-resistant layer you can wear is the Marmot Driclime windshirt (or any of the copies made by other companies). Windproof nylon on the outside, insulating micro-fleece on the inside. I wear it all the time when I'm moving in cool, windy conditions out in the mountains. Plus it layers well under more insulation or a rain-shell. Comes in nice colours too:

51020_4511.jpg

Will C.

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Aldehyde
Not sure why people are getting so offended that you want to have stylish hiking gear. This is a style forum after all. If you were backpacking that'd be one thing, but your doing day hikes.
+100
5472355191_4d821d9e97_b.jpg
Yes, the Barbour jacket like the one above is an acceptable choice. Order from Barbour instead. Personally though, I'd rather opt for a Norfolk suit. Very practical and beautiful:
Full%20Norfolk%20Jacket%201_jpg.jpg
Full%20Norfolk%20Jacket%208_jpg.jpg

AE7

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Will C.
+100

Personally though, I'd rather opt for a Norfolk suit. Very practical and beautiful:

Full%20Norfolk%20Jacket%201_jpg.jpg

Full%20Norfolk%20Jacket%208_jpg.jpg

I dont think you can call a thick woolen jacket "practical" for a hiking purposes. It wont breath as good, protect you from the elements, dry as fast and be as light as a modern technical fabric used in mountaineering clothes today.

Marcellionheart

Reaction score
Originally Posted by AE7
I dont think you can call a thick woolen jacket "practical" for a hiking purposes. It wont breath as good, protect you from the elements, dry as fast and be as light as a modern technical fabric used in mountaineering clothes today.

Yes, there may be a difference between a day's walking on the moor and 10 days worth of walking...

Threadbearer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
About 20 miles daily, only carrying what's needed on that particular day, with a hot meal, a cold scotch and a warm bed waiting at the end each night.
I'm curious, K -- when you have dinner and bed down each evening will you be almost exclusively in the company of fellow hikers, or will your group be dispersing among the locals? If it's the latter, perhaps you could pack nice evening wear on the shuttle van, and then stick with "ugly," no-nonsense hiking gear for the walks.

For the record, I don't find hiking gear ugly, but I still don't like to wear it off-trail unless I'm in a frontcountry locale where almost everybody else is dressed in techwear.

RMNP.jpg

Continental Divide
RMNP, Aug, 2010

Rayson

Reaction score
Originally Posted by blakewho
If you're looking for a stylish rucksack the right size for a day's hiking you should probably look at... Fjallraven: http://www.thesportinglodge.co.uk/sh...ckpack-20l.htm!
That's the most beautiful backpack. This is probably the best compromise for modern hiking: http://www.fjallraven.se/produkter/R...skor/Helags-30 This whole stylish hiking thing does my nut in and is doubtless one of the greatest indicators I should get a life. That most beautiful backpack is also cleverly modern in terms of the back panel and the straps. Light, comfortable and ventilated. Steps up from what you'd have with a vintage backpack and still beautiful. However, in modern terms the second is a proper hiking backpack. Do we need the extra technology it gives? Probably. A longer day than you expected in bad weather or whatever and you're glad of all the technology you can get. Anyway, it still looks very good in the relative world of outdoor clothing. I have some of my other stuff sorted. My usual underwear and T-shirts. Yeah, I'd avoid cotton on both counts if I were a mountain climber, but I'm not. British army lightweights for trousers (I'd probably get BDU trousers if I were American). They look good in the relative world of hiking and they're perfect knockabout outdoor trousers (and the zip-off Fjallraven ones I have are too Scandinavian, the material so thick I sweat unless it's winter). If I need an extreme fleece, I'll get a Patagonia (one of the original makers, too). Until then, it's surplus as well for the same reasons as the trousers. The one I have looks better than one with "The North Face" or something written on it. Boots just do my nut in. My Brashers look OK and they're comfortable so they'll do. Again, I'd just get an equivalent if I were in the US if they were difficult to get hold of. Perhaps I'll push the boat out and get Danners one day. This leaves me wondering about the best compromise between style and practicality for a main hiking jacket as well as for light, waterproof and breathable jacket and trousers. Cost is part of the practical consideration, of course. The materials used to make these things waterproof and breathable also make them fragile. Perhaps I should get Fjallraven again, but then I'm afraid I'll turn into Fjallraven man like I turned into The North Face man a few years ago. Jesus Christ, I should've written this novel under a nom de plume.

Threadbearer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can't believe I almost forgot about these guys: http://www.railriders.com/

They make a lot of techwear that looks good enough for casual wear.

Craig_Hovick_Laos.jpg

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I seriously question how extreme the activities you guys are participating are, if you're thinking you can get away with looking exceptionally (as in, SW&D) sleek and stylish and at the same time be prepared for the elements and for significant physical exertion. Certainly they're not mutually exclusive, but the overlap on the hypothetical Venn diagram is pretty small. I think you'd be on the stupid side to think you could wear pure cotton, wool or other natural fibres and be as comfortable as you would be in synthetics. Additionally, recognizing that the OP doesn't need to carry overnight gear, while that Norwegian pack is nice, but there's nowhere on it to attach carabiners, bedrolls, etc. Nor does it appear to be significantly adjustable. I carry this ugly thing around when I'm out for a few nights:

mec-brio-60.png

Geezer

Reaction score
The Norfolk jacket is a great idea, but obsolete. Mallory climbed to within 1000 feet of the summit of Everest wearing wool long johns, a tweed suit, and a ventile windbreaker, so it can be done. But times have moved on. And Mallory died.

For me, the issue is less stylish woods/hiking clothes, but finding things that are not actively unstylish. Brought up in the countryside, and fond of shooting, I always wore, and still wear, fairly drab clothes that blend in.

It drives me beserk to see a piece of unspoilt British countryside covered in casual Sunday walkers wearing bright red nylon parkas or blaze orange jackets. A beautiful green hill, unchanged for centuries, but covered in little dayglo ants.

There are a lot of Swedish/Norwegian makers of deerstalking clothes who make good technical stuff in plain colours without stupid logos.

Except in really bad conditions, I can live without modern miracle fabrics. But two areas where the technology has improved so much you can not ignore it are boots (I wear Danners and Altbergs) and packs. Especially packs. The stuff in the last 10 years is light years ahead of what was around before. Example: http://www.kifaru.net/

james_timothy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
george_mallory_clothing.jpg

"¢ Base - Smedley silk/wool long sleeve vest
"¢ Mid - Tussah silk sports shirt
"¢ Mid - Fine Shetland wool pullover
"¢ Mid - Cultivated silk sports shirt, (Junior Army & Navy)
"¢ Mid - Wool flannel sports shirt
"¢ Outer - Burberry Cotton Gabardine "˜Everywhere' jacket
"¢ Fur wrist bands (to keep cold air out of sleeve)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads