1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Stylish, Functional and Durable Winter Boots - Too much to ask?

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by korce, Nov 4, 2008.

1. robin

robin Senior member

goodyear welt will not keep water out. You need a storm welt or goretex lining or a galosh.
    A storm welt on a majority of shoes will not help you either.

2. ahjota

ahjota Senior member

I quite like the ones listed here:

This is the description for a boot by the Shipton & Heneage guys Zamo linked... [​IMG]

3. korce

korce Senior member

^ those look pretty nice too, but I think I'm leaning towards the black ones I posted earlier.

@Tarmac - ultimately I'm looking for something to wear on winter days when the streets are clearer (doesn't mean it won't be cold outside though!). I've got Sorels and another pair of ugly winter/hiker boots that can be worn when extreme function is necessary.

But, I do alot of walking (don't drive at all really) so warmth and comfort are important.

Surprised nobody has guessed who makes those boots I posted yet...

4. robin

robin Senior member

Ah fuck me. Was going to order some sorel caribou boots but I read that they're no longer made in Canada and suck now (now owned by Columbia?). Are there other similar looking pac boot alternatives besides some beans?

And what about Baffin? Would the basic entry level ones be overkill if you don't live in the Arctic?

5. jet

jet Senior member

Don't you hate that shit?

6. somatoform

somatoform Senior member

^ those look pretty nice too, but I think I'm leaning towards the black ones I posted earlier.

@Tarmac - ultimately I'm looking for something to wear on winter days when the streets are clearer (doesn't mean it won't be cold outside though!). I've got Sorels and another pair of ugly winter/hiker boots that can be worn when extreme function is necessary.

But, I do alot of walking (don't drive at all really) so warmth and comfort are important.

I would guess Brown's? They look like something Brown's would make. Is there any other company in Canada that makes boots? Not sure.

They are ok, but are they worth $400?

7. robin

robin Senior member

^ I meant to comment on those boots earlier. They look exactly like the Wings and Horns service boots (also made in Canada), just without the distressing. I'm curious on who makes them as well as I'd prefer those to the $800 versions.

8. blank

blank Senior member

What then to wear if you do live in the city, and admitedly only need a shoe or boot that will keep your feet dry walking on poorly maintained city streets? I need something to keep my feet dry when I'm walking to and from the subway, so that I'm not sitting with cold feet during work all day. I think I'm in the more water-resistant camp. Would the unlined Alden chukka's work?

9. robin

robin Senior member

I think I'm in the more water-resistant camp. Would the unlined Alden chukka's work?
    The suede one's? Not so much. Check out their Kudu chukka books though - it's calf leather that's been heavily oiled and is very water resistant.

10. ppllzz

ppllzz Senior member

i want to know the boots you posted!!

11. niwawa

niwawa Senior member

I wear my always trustworthy JEEP BOOT I bought 6 years ago. still look new.

12. ahjota

ahjota Senior member

The Nov 2008 issue of GQ has a two-page spread on winter boots. p.212-213. Looking at it right now. Four of the boots are listed as <$400, two of them <$300. I can scan and up it maybe tomorrow.

Brands:
    Bruno Magli
    John Varvatos
    Timberland Boot Company (not Timberland)
    BoO for Sperry
    Tod's
    Cole Haan
    Ralph Lauren

13. brimley

brimley Senior member

Dayton?

14. wiru

wiru Senior member

IIRC, the Danner Mountain Light has gore-tex.
    Thinsulate or shearling bean boots are also an option.
    The Quoddy Grizzly boot comes in shearling, though I doubt it will do much against water.
    Russel mocs would also be functional.

15. blank

blank Senior member

I don't know -- I just can't imagine busting out a pair of $300 or $400 boots and walking around New York. I'm less concerned with the water and more with the salt and silt and overall disgusting shit that lies on the city streets. surely there is some sort of stylish, functional, affordable option. Don't make me go to EMS and buy a pair of sneakers. Those won't go well with slim jeans.

16. ahjota

ahjota Senior member

^^^ The pricetags on the boots in GQ appeared to be mostly because these were designer renditions of styles already mentioned in this thread. All appeared to be waterproof, and most seemed to be lined and/or have rubber soles.

Here are the three that I remember off hand (at work right now):

Timberland, Tackhead Winter Chukka:
    http://www.timberlandbootcompany.com...efault,pd.html

John Varvatos, Groove Shearling Boot:
    http://zeta.zappos.com/ViewProduct.a...ductId=7458002

BoO for Sperry, Boat Boot in leather:
    http://bp0.blogger.com/_F7i70fSPrGU/...s1600-h/10.jpg

17. hollowsleather

hollowsleather Senior member

[​IMG] Oil tanned and lined with 24oz wool.

18. youngScholar

youngScholar Senior member

[​IMG]

Oil tanned and lined with 24oz wool.

Beautiful. Who makes them?

19. erdawe

erdawe Senior member

Filson Highlander Boots

20. youngScholar

youngScholar Senior member

Filson Highlander Boots

Thank you.