Stylish, Functional and Durable Winter Boots - Too much to ask?

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by korce, Nov 4, 2008.

1. korce

korce Senior member

Sorel Waterproof Boot?

(via Inquiringmind Magazine page 31-32)
    [​IMG]

Yep - I've had the same pair of these Sorels in Tan leather for the last 10 years or so. They must've fit huge on me when I was twelve! Still goin strong now. I need to treat the leather and re-waterproof them though. Any suggestions on what to use? I think they were done with seal/mink oil initially.

Really I'm looking for something to fill in the gaps when there isn't that much snow around, and I don't feel like wearing the sorels. In the past Clarks DB have been ok, but I'd like something a bit more rugged.

Those Filson boots look serrrious. I'll have to find somewhere to try them on though. I guess army surplus is an option too.

2. korce

korce Senior member

Well, I've been doing a little research and found the two boots shown below. Curious to get some input from others. As you can tell, the grey has a leather sole (not really winter material) while the black has a more suitable rubber "anti-slip" sole. Unfortunately, there is nowhere local that stocks them, so I can't go see them in person. These pics are all I have for now, though I can request more.

They're Made in Canada, goodyear welted, and retail for $399. See if you can guess who makes them...

The big questions: Are they winter-worthy, durable, and worth the 4 bills?

Black, with rubber oil-resistant "anti-slip" sole:

[​IMG]

Grey, with leather sole:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Tarmac

Tarmac Senior member

goodyear welt will not keep water out. You need a storm welt or goretex lining or a galosh.

you need to really ask yourself, am I really trudging through a snowstorm? or walking on a snowshoveled pavement for 30 seconds from my car to Starbucks.

real snowstorm and below freezing for 10+ minutes at a time? i would take 200 grams of thinsulate and goretex lining. rubber soles.

Latte run? any boot you posted will do

4. breakfasteatre

breakfasteatre Senior member

5. robin

robin Senior member

goodyear welt will not keep water out. You need a storm welt or goretex lining or a galosh.
    A storm welt on a majority of shoes will not help you either.

6. ahjota

ahjota Senior member

I quite like the ones listed here:

This is the description for a boot by the Shipton & Heneage guys Zamo linked... [​IMG]

7. korce

korce Senior member

^ those look pretty nice too, but I think I'm leaning towards the black ones I posted earlier.

@Tarmac - ultimately I'm looking for something to wear on winter days when the streets are clearer (doesn't mean it won't be cold outside though!). I've got Sorels and another pair of ugly winter/hiker boots that can be worn when extreme function is necessary.

But, I do alot of walking (don't drive at all really) so warmth and comfort are important.

Surprised nobody has guessed who makes those boots I posted yet...

8. robin

robin Senior member

Ah fuck me. Was going to order some sorel caribou boots but I read that they're no longer made in Canada and suck now (now owned by Columbia?). Are there other similar looking pac boot alternatives besides some beans?

And what about Baffin? Would the basic entry level ones be overkill if you don't live in the Arctic?

9. jet

jet Persian Bro

Don't you hate that shit?

10. somatoform

somatoform Senior member

^ those look pretty nice too, but I think I'm leaning towards the black ones I posted earlier.

@Tarmac - ultimately I'm looking for something to wear on winter days when the streets are clearer (doesn't mean it won't be cold outside though!). I've got Sorels and another pair of ugly winter/hiker boots that can be worn when extreme function is necessary.

But, I do alot of walking (don't drive at all really) so warmth and comfort are important.

Surprised nobody has guessed who makes those boots I posted yet...

I would guess Brown's? They look like something Brown's would make. Is there any other company in Canada that makes boots? Not sure.

They are ok, but are they worth $400?

11. robin

robin Senior member

^ I meant to comment on those boots earlier. They look exactly like the Wings and Horns service boots (also made in Canada), just without the distressing. I'm curious on who makes them as well as I'd prefer those to the $800 versions.

12. blank

blank Senior member

What then to wear if you do live in the city, and admitedly only need a shoe or boot that will keep your feet dry walking on poorly maintained city streets? I need something to keep my feet dry when I'm walking to and from the subway, so that I'm not sitting with cold feet during work all day. I think I'm in the more water-resistant camp. Would the unlined Alden chukka's work?

13. robin

robin Senior member

I think I'm in the more water-resistant camp. Would the unlined Alden chukka's work?
    The suede one's? Not so much. Check out their Kudu chukka books though - it's calf leather that's been heavily oiled and is very water resistant.

14. ppllzz

ppllzz Senior member

i want to know the boots you posted!!