1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Stylish, Functional and Durable Winter Boots - Too much to ask?

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by korce, Nov 4, 2008.

1. korce

korce Senior member

Well, I've done the searching and there doesn't seem to be much on here about stylish, warm, functional & (hopefully) durable winter boots.

I've recently purchased a pair of Red Wing GTs hoping that they would fit the bill, but I'm not convinced. The lack of any lining makes me wonder whether they'll be warm enough for the Canadian winter, and they're too narrow for me to wear a thick sock.

There must be something else out there. Any suggestions on a slender, waterproof, warm, and durable boot? I'd like to spend less than $300 but could go higher ($450 max) if the right boot came along.

I've been looking at RM Williams (The Craftsman boot in particular), but am unsure as to how they'd far in Toronto slush and snow.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

2. lee_44106

lee_44106 Senior member

For real bad winter weather (rain, snow, slush, all with salt mixed in), I wear the Ecco boots:

http://www.zappos.com/n/p/dp/532955/c/27143.html

They are not sleek looking like the GT or the Indy boots, but let's be honest here: when you are treading thru all that rain/ice/snow mixture, nobody really cares how sleek you look. Sometimes function will trump form, and this would be a case.

I settled on these Ecco boots after looking really long for nice looking but very functional and completely waterproof boots.

3. erdawe

erdawe Senior member

Honestly I don't think the GT's were ever designed to be boots for cold/harsh Canadian winters. I think their design is more along with what their name implys.

I'd personally want something with a commando sole one the bottom for deep snow and ice... Or does Toronto not get as extreme weather I know they get further up, into good ol' Canadia?

4. korce

korce Senior member

when you are treading thru all that rain/ice/snow mixture, nobody really cares how sleek you look. Sometimes function will trump form, and this would be a case.

I do have a pair of Sorel Caribou's that have lasted me over 10 years now for those type of conditions where you couldn't wear anything but a full-on winter boot.

I'm looking for something to fit the in-between days, when there isn't too much snow on the ground, but it's still -5 or -10, the streets are slushy and icy, etc. Basically something for everyday winter wear. I agree that Red Wing GTs probably don't fit the bill here...There must be something that does though!

5. chanimal

chanimal Senior member

I wore my GT's last winter here in Toronto and I thought they worked fine anytime between Nov and March. Mind you when its really bad out I wear my timberlands that I bought back in grade 11.

6. Window

Window Senior member

Cabelas has a boot called "rimrock". Sleek for an insulated boot, gore-tex lining, for $70. Pretty nice looking, actually. It's like a timberland euro hiker that actually has tech features.

7. Johnny_5

Johnny_5 Senior member

GTs were not made for harsh winter conditions. The are called gentlemen travelers for a reason. A traveling salesman had to have a boot that could get him through bad conditions if he happened to get caught up in them while still looking presentable.

8. TRINI

TRINI Senior member

Toronto weather isn't really THAT harsh.

9. timpoblete

timpoblete Senior member

10. robin

robin Senior member

11. JohnnyLaw

JohnnyLaw Senior member

I picked up some Filson Highlander boots from Crane a while back and they're really nice. Wool lined, oil-tanned water resistant leather, mid-calf height. Made in the USA. Comes up to about $300 shipped with the SF discounts. I can't say for sure how durable they are yet, but the quality looks good to me. http://www.cranes-country-store.com/...cat=283&page=1 Of course they're a bit chunky - with a lined boot it's inevitable. Attractive boots nonetheless. Good call on the Sorel boots. A QuÃ[​IMG]bec classic. Park your skidoo outside and come on in for some poutine. RM Williams will never stand up to winter weather. Red Wing GTs are pretty tough, but your feet will probably get cold.

12. stickonatree

stickonatree Senior member

are sorel's always $400??? what's the average price and where can i find some caribous for cheaper?

13. JohnnyLaw

JohnnyLaw Senior member

Regular Sorel Caribou boots are usually $120-$140.

The $400 ones are have shearling and bison leather.

14. timpoblete

timpoblete Senior member

Yeah, the black caribou's can be found for the low $100's. There are links to stockist on the Sorel website.

15. BrooklynHighpost

BrooklynHighpost Senior member

16. korce

korce Senior member

Sorel Waterproof Boot?

(via Inquiringmind Magazine page 31-32)
    [​IMG]

Yep - I've had the same pair of these Sorels in Tan leather for the last 10 years or so. They must've fit huge on me when I was twelve! Still goin strong now. I need to treat the leather and re-waterproof them though. Any suggestions on what to use? I think they were done with seal/mink oil initially.

Really I'm looking for something to fill in the gaps when there isn't that much snow around, and I don't feel like wearing the sorels. In the past Clarks DB have been ok, but I'd like something a bit more rugged.

Those Filson boots look serrrious. I'll have to find somewhere to try them on though. I guess army surplus is an option too.

17. korce

korce Senior member

Well, I've been doing a little research and found the two boots shown below. Curious to get some input from others. As you can tell, the grey has a leather sole (not really winter material) while the black has a more suitable rubber "anti-slip" sole. Unfortunately, there is nowhere local that stocks them, so I can't go see them in person. These pics are all I have for now, though I can request more.

They're Made in Canada, goodyear welted, and retail for $399. See if you can guess who makes them...

The big questions: Are they winter-worthy, durable, and worth the 4 bills?

Black, with rubber oil-resistant "anti-slip" sole:

[​IMG]

Grey, with leather sole:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. Tarmac

Tarmac Senior member

goodyear welt will not keep water out. You need a storm welt or goretex lining or a galosh.

you need to really ask yourself, am I really trudging through a snowstorm? or walking on a snowshoveled pavement for 30 seconds from my car to Starbucks.

real snowstorm and below freezing for 10+ minutes at a time? i would take 200 grams of thinsulate and goretex lining. rubber soles.

Latte run? any boot you posted will do

19. breakfasteatre

breakfasteatre Senior member

the top pair is really nice. Im in canada, who makes them?