• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stylish Films

sipang

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Indeed.

Goyokin is still my favorite though. Snowy landscapes = +10 style points, costumes are great too.

Actually Goyokin is the perfect companion film to the Great Silence posted sooner.

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]​

hoozah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
swordsmen is really good too. donnie yen's home in the movie is siiick.

Ivwri

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Added Goyokin to my "movies to watch" list.

Lucky Number Slevin directed by Paul McGuigan

Cypher directed by Vincenzo Natali

Quite liked Lucy Liu's outfits in this film

Curse of the Golden Flower directed by Zhang Yimou

thats.mana

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
"The way back" Convict peasant steez.
Who wants to join me on the steppes of Mongolia?

Ashes of Time redux.
2r4iyph.jpg

17e93m.jpg

98tteg.jpg

The Lover:

Johnny Amiga

Reaction score
These threads always start out hella boring, but there's been some really good stuff posted here lately.

kinda OT, but am I the only one who thought that 13 assasins was a huge pile of ****? I seriously can't get Miike. The first one and a half hours or film is really promising, like an old samurai film in the style of Kobayashi or Gosha, but then when the actual battle starts, the whole thing degenerates into this huge mess. There's no real sense of danger in any of the proceedings with the characters more concerned with striking cool poses during sword fights than actually staying alive. I'm all for some Miike weirdness (the flaming bulls were a fun touch), but I absolutely hated the last 30-40 minutes of the film. The death of the ridiculously evil warlord was a great scene tho, that was Miike that I liked.

Cypher is great btw. It looks really low budget, but it gets alot out of it.

This fall, the finnish film archive had a great retrospective of the works of the three Sergios. Leone, Corbucci and Sollima. I'd seen most of the films in the series previously, but to see stuff like Companeros and Il Mercenario on the big screen was a revelation. Thomas Milian and Tony Musante got some nice peasant/rebel style going on there, but the sartorial excellence in the films comes down to Franco Nero and Jack Palance.

MV5BMTM4Njk4ODk5NV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMDA4ODE1NA@@._V1._SX640_SY491_.jpg

MV5BMTYwOTcwMjE0NV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMjk3ODE1NA@@._V1._SX640_SY811_.jpg

MV5BMTcyNDYxMTc3MF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNDk3ODE1NA@@._V1._SX640_SY505_.jpg

MV5BMTczMzQzMTEyNl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMTA4ODE1NA@@._V1._SX640_SY504_.jpg

MV5BMTMyMTMxNzM1OV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMjA4ODE1NA@@._V1._SX640_SY496_.jpg

ilmercenario3.jpg

Companeros3.jpg

2141522,TbyARdeg6B2Nks8skH83gyHxn9UJxlgEvOjvPcT_Fey3Y+UTbf09pMQVc4mLR42ksrrwE7ue9otRmR433VrFjQ==.jpg

vamos%20matar%20companeros%2004%5B4%5D.png

010.jpg

009.jpg

2141529,LyKsE1o66losar9UZgmnCxR_CCKUqwLRbjc+xMVH3B3A3JOh__fQc34RQgqOqiMB5Vy7O0I_Mf_JO+wT648x9w==.jpg

sipang

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ Is that from Pale Rider ?

Eastwood is always on point in his westerns, especially the coats.

High Plains Drifter

Pale Rider

The Good the Bad and the Ugly

Unforgiven

And then there's the poncho naturally...

Last edited:

London

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It is from Pale Rider. I watched again last night and that scene really stood out.

pickpackpockpuck

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Kurosawa's Throne of Blood. My favorite film adaptation of Macbeth (with the best Lady Macbeth ever).

Lionheart Biker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I loved that movie.

Ivwri

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Detective Dee and the Mystery of the Phantom Flame

Really liked the design of this film. So much attention to detail in things like outfits, architecture etc. As a film it's nothing profound, but is good fun.​

Last edited:

Pliny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I liked some of Clive Owen's fits in Duplicity - sucker for a rumpled fawn linen suit.

samehada

Reaction score
I really love this tread! I dont usually use forums but there is a really great movie called Happily Ever After jigyaku no uta full of great prints patters patches and threads! enjoy!

Last image is from Truck Yaro

unifer

Reaction score
Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy. Fantastic book, fantastic movie.

Best stills I could find, but they don't even do the style justice. Every single outfit in every single scene is brilliant.

Lionheart Biker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Watched it a week ago. Amazing movie. Great wardrobe on all the characters, but for me, benedict cumberbatch had the best outfits, at least more appealing to a younger demographic. Oh, and Tom hardy wearing the hell out of a shearling jacket much like in The Dark Knight Rises, though not as big (the jacket and himself).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads