stylish eye glasses

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by blackplatano, Nov 4, 2006.

1. Bandwagonesque

Bandwagonesque Senior member

Lenscrafters is owned by Luxottica I believe, who own a huge portfolio of (I'm guessing here) 50% of the mainstream eyeglass market share, and then they charge you up the arse for frames, lenses, coatings, etc. Screw 'em. I go to a small local optometrist who gives me the frames and lenses at cost, and then charges a dispensing fee. I can order in any frame I want, and it's usually around $CDN 100-150 (still a huge mark-up relative to manufacturing costs). I don't feel bad going into Lenscrafters and taking up their time to find a pair of frames... their company will still make money on the frames that the optometrist orders.

2. Arethusa

Arethusa Senior member

Yeah, that is a remarkable misconception they've managed to ride. They're actually one of the more expensive places around here. There are some local shops, but as this is a rich area, most of them are too expensive when you factor in markup (one wanted 50% more than my optometrist for my current pair of Silhouettes, which was just impressive). Still, I can't afford to drop 600, before or after insurance, and I'm not sure what my options are beyond sticking with these Silhouettes or getting a cheap pair of Ted Bakers with a delightful logo on the side.

3. montecristo#4

montecristo#4 Senior member

I wear Lunors, rimless with Zeiss lenses. I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Lunor yet in this thread. Apparently rimless is out, though -- LOL. I much prefer a subtle, classic rimless design with custom lenses designed and machined to fit my face then some Emo-wannabee thick square black frame baloney that will be out of style in about six months.

4. grunhauser

grunhauser Senior member

Lenscrafters is owned by Luxxotica, which in turn owns eyewear licences for Persol, Prada, DKNY, Byblos, Anne Klein, Brooks Brothers, D&G and Dolce&Gabbana, Arnette, Ray-Ban, Moschino, Miu-Miu, Versace, Sergio Tacchini, Revo, Chanel, Bulgari and few more. Burberry and Ralph Lauren are new additions. RL received a whopping $250 million upfront for it. Some of the brands are destined for the masses, but when you lump CHanel and Bulgari into the same bucket, image suffers. Mass production is truly an understatement here. Chanel peeps realized that association with Lenscrfaters is hurting the brand's standing and pulled the license very recently. They will be producing their eyewear independently and through a small manufacturer.

I remember when Persol was made by hand by sweaty pot bellied Itallain guys who dripped tomato sauce over hand chiseled hinges. Call me a purist, but it is a different animal now.

If you wear specs, look for an eyewear prefessional in your area who carries independent brands. Not every pair of frames will run you $600. Acetate is a great alternative to fancy metals. You can find a great frame for $200-300 and still look like an individual, not a Lenscrafters' shopper.

5. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

I used to have a pair of vintage Persol sunglasses and while it was clearly hand-made, the frames--like a lot of hand-done Italian good--were somewhat sloppily done.

As for cheaper alternatives to high-end eyewear, why not vintage frames? France and Italy produced a fair amount of high-quality frames in the '50s and '60s.

6. ratboycom

ratboycom Senior member

First one looks good and fits you alright, the second one is too small. If DKNY logo is painted on, you can rub it off with alcohol. Don't use acetone, you will melt it.
    Watch out, the quality on these is pretty shabby - the frames have no volume to them and don't hold lenses very well, especially if you let the monkeys running the Lenscrafters' lab install the lenses for you. They tend to f'up frames by stretching them too much, destroying original integrity of frame.

One of the reasons people don't wear their glasses more is because the frames are crap. I am not joking, save up, and get yourself a decetn frame and you will see the difference in your appearance. Properly fitted, fine pair of specs says a lot about a guy. You don't have to send it out of ballpark with a handmade buffalo frame but there are so many cool companies out there, settling on something like DKNY from Lenscrafters is unacceptable to be frank. No flaming here, just honest opinion. I know in some places choices are limited.

Best of luck.

Well actually I was just eating up their time at Lenscrafters I found the same frames online for way way cheaper. I am having my optometrist's office make and install the lenses for me. I wanted to go with something a bit lower profile but had to settle for something borderline translucent on the back because my lenses are "too flat to work with thin frames" and I had problems with the whole Fish Eye thing with the last pair I had (that I returned after two days).
    Thanks for the input btw. Its just kinda hard to really find anything decent around here. Seriously, most of the independents kinda suck and have a very very limited stock of nothing but cheap frames.

7. ratboycom

ratboycom Senior member

[​IMG]

Actually the first picture I posted was wrong, i didnt really dig on these compared to some of the other ones I tried on. What do you think about these?

8. jet

jet Persian Bro

How bout some motherfuckin sunglasses up in here.

9. montecristo#4

montecristo#4 Senior member

Fuck yeah, motherfucka. Holla!

10. vanity

vanity Senior member

Sometimes I wish I had poorer vision so I could sport some nice glasses. Does anyone with 20/20 wear glasses with plastic frames? Maybe when I'm older...

I used to have 2-3 pairs of faux eyeglasses I'd wear with my contacts in. Chicks dig em and no one asks to "see if they're real".

11. grunhauser

grunhauser Senior member

Different game, similar rules - stay away from the shiny shit logos on the outside. Determine the style you're after and find the best species to represent your image. Bad quality and gaudy looks are best when observed from a safe distance and on someone else's face.

12. nomovement

nomovement Senior member

I do not think those are large.

My pair of glasses are almost as large as this:

[​IMG]

is that PJ?

13. muchisgiven

muchisgiven Senior member

I'm wearing a pair of prada frames

14. grunhauser

grunhauser Senior member

15. bigwhale

bigwhale Senior member

Anyone have any suggestion on where to buy frames in NYC? I'm gonna be stopping by there in a few weeks. Lookin to try on some MYKITA frames in person.