1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

stylish eye glasses

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by blackplatano, Nov 4, 2006.

1. CityConnection

CityConnection Senior member

[​IMG]

How are transparent frames? I think they look abit douchey but they seem to be pretty popular nowadays.

Personally, transparent isnt all that nice. I wouldnt do it, but to each their own. Its a phase, not a trend/style.

2. CityConnection

I'm really liking these.

[​IMG]

Can anyone vouch for Alain Mikli quality?

Alain Mikli is not what it used to be. In my opinion, for what you pay and the quality that you get, its not worth it. They used to have a monopoly on the high-end, good quality, fashionable frames. Nowadays, every Joe, Rick and Suzie has a pair and its not as good anymore.

3. Mountains

Mountains Senior member

[​IMG]

I have a pair of these Oakleys. They probably aren't to the taste of most of you here on SF, but I like them quite a bit.

4. aqhong

aqhong Senior member

Anyone know of a cheap(er) alternative to these?

[​IMG]

5. CityConnection

Anyone know of a cheap(er) alternative to these?

[​IMG]

I dont know what brand those are so I dont know a cheaper alternative, but there are a pair of Salt like it and it is similar to Kenneth Cole style.

6. hamish5178

hamish5178 Senior member

I'm looking for some glasses like these, round and tortoiseshell. Any suggestions? [​IMG]

7. pruppert

pruppert Senior member

i own both and besides a few slightly different design details, they are very similar to each other from the materials used and quality...
    I'm constantly impressed by the hinge detailing on IC Berlin's. Spectacularly designed.

8. TylerDurden

TylerDurden Senior member

[​IMG]

I have a pair of these Oakleys. They probably aren't to the taste of most of you here on SF, but I like them quite a bit.

I have this exact pair. I keep breaking my glasses', and Oakley's have been notoriously strong and seem to take abuse.

9. CityConnection

I'm constantly impressed by the hinge detailing on IC Berlin's. Spectacularly designed.

If you can appreciate hinge design and frame design, look at Kio Yamato. Some of the frames are hingeless, they are curved titanium that bend.

10. CityConnection

I have this exact pair. I keep breaking my glasses', and Oakley's have been notoriously strong and seem to take abuse.

If youre looking for tough, also look into Adidas. They have a "performance steel" that is flexible and the frames are super light (unlike Oakleys).

11. Tcameron

Tcameron Senior member

I'm looking for some glasses like these, round and tortoiseshell. Any suggestions?

[​IMG]

Anglo American makes some similar to these.

http://eyeglass.com/angloamerican.html

12. CityConnection

Anglo American makes some similar to these.

http://eyeglass.com/angloamerican.html

Might also want to try Paul Frank and Banana Republic

13. hamish5178

hamish5178 Senior member

Might also want to try Paul Frank and Banana Republic

Thanks, I found some nice one from BR.

14. xchen

xchen Senior member

PSA on Moscot: 10% Off with frames coupon. MOSCOTSPRING09 must order online, not valid with insurance expires May 7th, 2009

15. daribbler

daribbler New Member

16. capnpyro

capnpyro Senior member

I know this is in the exact opposite spirit of this thread, but if you're like me and only really wear eyeglasses ~15 minutes a day after you wake up and before bed then i recommend this place-- http://www.39dollarglasses.com I was looking at spending in the $200 range before my friend pointed me there, theyre actually not so ugly that I wouldnt mind wearing them out either if in a bind (i got the trentos). Just sayin. Edit: VVV Yeah, like I said I got the trento plastic frames one, they fit fine. they're just cheap eyeglasses, they work great for my purposes VVV

17. daribbler

daribbler New Member

I know this is in the exact opposite spirit of this thread, but if you're like me and only really wear eyeglasses ~15 minutes a day after you wake up and before bed then i recommend this place-- http://www.39dollarglasses.com I was looking at spending in the $200 range before my friend pointed me there, theyre actually not so ugly that I wouldnt mind wearing them out either if in a bind (i got the trentos). Just sayin.

have you ordered from them? The only problem is that I can't try their frames on. I've actually been on their site debating if I should go cheap or spend a little more.

18. CityConnection

have you ordered from them? The only problem is that I can't try their frames on. I've actually been on their site debating if I should go cheap or spend a little more.

If youre going to wear them out in public or to work, I would suggest brick and mortar store. If you want something like vintage or stands out, buy online if you want. But it would be a shame if you ordered something to wear out and then find out you think they make you look like a douche.

In my experience, if you buy a pair that you like (whether it be $39 or$390) you will be more likely to wear it more often. IMO, that is a good buy. It's like having those old jeans that you love. Aside from dollar, get something that you like. If youre looking for a deal or on a budget, get something $39 but dont get your hopes up.

19. Bsides

Bsides Member

I have some gucci frames that are nice black plastic.

Personally, my lenses alone cost like 300 dollars to get made. I dont really mess around with a cheap frame when Im spending that much on the glasses already. My frame was about 240, but you can bargain with the guys at most high end glasses shops. Especially if they are making the lenses for you too.

The thing with plastic frames in my experience is that cheap plastic is always very different from expensive plastic. I dont really know what that is, but thats what i see.

20. Bsides

Bsides Member

Additionally, you might want to ensure you get spring hinges, and you are going to want an optician to fit the glasses to your face. I would never buy serious eye glasses without trying them on.