• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stylish Clerical Clothes?

Father Flanagan

Reaction score
I have been lurking here for awhile but I've never seen any topic about clerical clothes. Is there any place where I can find some nice stylish clothes made for Catholic priests?
We only seem to have black suits for everyday wear and the only time we can dress up is at Mass but of course those clothes are unsuitable for street wear.
I noticed that the late pope had on some very nice red leather Gucci loafers at his funeral but I haven't been able to find anything similar and was wondering where I could buy a pair.

Simon.

Reaction score
Every Pope has to wear red shoes as dress code and they alle get theirs bespoke somewhere in north itlay.
I dont believe they're gucci.

also just go to a tailor get some bespoke stuff.
just browse sf and a lot of names will pop up.

also,
isnt your religion forbidding such things as a priest.
or is it the same as with having kids^^
ffffuuuu.gif

Svenn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Simon.
also,
isnt your religion forbidding such things as a priest.

+1. Delighting in the ephemeral pleasures of the world perhaps?

ktrp

Reaction score
A lot of SF members have pretty stylish black suits they bought and now regret getting, since they are not priests.

Post your stats, and then kop some second hand ones cheap!

Alternatively, there must be an old italian tailor (or 10) in your congregation, get your suits made by him, they'll be expensive but you can claim that you're not vain, you're just supporting your community.

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm not Catholic, but I can't imagine the church would approve of anything stylish for a priest. Aren't humility and penitence kind of important for a priest? At least in the word, if not the deed?

This thread is repulsive. Dear OP, enjoy eternity on the Sixth Bolgia of the Eighth level of Hell.

ArtOrSartor

Reaction score
How about a sports coat with jeans and one of those snazzy black shirts you have to wear? I don't do religion anymore, but when I was a kid that's what a lot of the priests and deacons wore in less formal settings. It might look a little funny since the shirt is black, but you could probably pull off a brown or grey suit. I think people would be a little more forgiving (no pun intended) of the mismatched color scheme, considering.

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH
I feel that all priests should be wearing black Dior suits.

Only vintage Slimane will suffice for the church.

uhurit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Armani Giorgio line of suits in solid navy or black

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by harvey_birdman
I'm not Catholic, but I can't imagine the church would approve of anything stylish for a priest. Aren't humility and penitence kind of important for a priest? At least in the word, if not the deed?

You're thinking of Friar Tuck.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

This thread is repulsive. Dear OP, enjoy eternity on the Sixth Bolgia of the Eighth level of Hell.

I had a priest at my church a few years back who was loaded. His family had a ton of money that and he lived it up, designer clothes, benz, took people out to dinner all the time. He was the man. I was like, damn, I'm in the wrong business.

Izhitsa

Reaction score

I'm an Orthodox Atheist
smile.gif
, so I don't know -- but the streets around the Piazza di Santa Chiara in Rome teem with clerical outfitters: Gammarelli, Barbiconi, Euroclero etc. Kinda Savile Row for cardinals and bishops.

Father Flanagan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH
I had a priest at my church a few years back who was loaded. His family had a ton of money that and he lived it up, designer clothes, benz, took people out to dinner all the time. He was the man. I was like, damn, I'm in the wrong business.
Only a few orders take a vow of poverty, mine does not, and like your priest I too am from a wealthy family and I pay for all of my things myself.Our order does not belong to a local church, we are a teaching order and most of us teach various subjects at secular as well as Catholic Universities. We don't wear Roman collars but somehow most of us still somehow look like priests and I just want some clothes that make me blend in better but are not too ostentatious. Although I do have a number of BB suits I still have that priest look and in fact one of my female students jokingly said to me that I look a bit like a priest
lol8[1].gif
There's nothing wrong with that but when you're a professor at a secular school it sometimes puts students off. Only a few even know that I'm a priest and the only reason I told them was because they were females and were getting rather flitatious with me when I was tutoring them. So basically I'm trying to dress like an average professor. Perhaps a tweed jacket or blazer and a couple of fashionable items like shoes and denims.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Father Flanagan
Only a few orders take a vow of poverty, mine does not, and like your priest I too am from a wealthy family and I pay for all of my things myself.Our order does not belong to a local church, we are a teaching order and most of us teach various subjects at secular as well as Catholic Universities. We don't wear Roman collars but somehow most of us still somehow look like priests and I just want some clothes that make me blend in better but are not too ostentatious. Although I do have a number of BB suits I still have that priest look and in fact one of my female students jokingly said to me that I look a bit like a priest
lol8[1].gif
There's nothing wrong with that but when you're a professor at a secular school it sometimes puts students off. Only a few even know that I'm a priest and the only reason I told them was because they were females and were getting rather flitatious with me when I was tutoring them. So basically I'm trying to dress like an average professor. Perhaps a tweed jacket or blazer and a couple of fashionable items like shoes and denims.

Sounds like you have a pretty interesting career. When I was in college I wore tons of black suits and my professors used to tell me I looked like a priest. Funny thing, my mother actually wants me to become a priest as she is very religous.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads