Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Stylish, cheap frames- Warby Parker

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by mossrockss, Feb 23, 2010.

1. meso

meso Senior member

Just got my Wiloughbys a week ago. The style is really nice and I've gotten a couple compliments already. I got them as style frames while I have my contacts in, and I'm keeping them for that purpose. I have a big head so chunkier frames fit the bill. Sending a pair to charity for each purchase is a nice touch.

HOWEVER - the quality is not amazing. They remind me of a $13 pair you'd get at a place like zennioptical (which unlike WP does tinting, and they have a few nice retro inspired frames, you just have to dig). I guess my point is that if I'm going to pay for cheap frames, I want them cheap, and I'll just give the change to charity myself.

Recommended if you really like their styles and mission, but if you are just looking for cheap frames that don't look ghastly, you can do better.

2. Green Gloves

Green Gloves Well-Known Member

I really do wish some of the other companies out there (hello Zenni I am talking to you) would follow Warby's lead and introduce a home try on model. I bought the Willoughbys as well. I tried on four other frames that had <18 mm bridges but the Willoughbys were the only one that fit. I don't think any other frame is suitable for an Asian with a typical Asian bridge as well as a big head.

The quality could be better considering what you pay for (I had to shell out $125 for frames + 1.67 high index lenses). Another idea WP should consider is to introduce frames more suitable for Asian faces, specifically for the face shapes and bridges Asians typically have.

3. meso

meso Senior member

Agreed. I'm a white boy with a big head (big-head syndrome knows no racial boundaries), and the Willoughbys are still digging into my temples a bit.

4. Green Gloves

Green Gloves Well-Known Member

I guess your head is bigger than mine :p I had to go to a optometrist and tweak the temples slightly so the frame sits tighter (the fit was pretty good already out of the box).

5. Cheese1

Cheese1 Senior member

Sorry to bump this old thread, I'm just looking into a pair of their glasses. Are they worth the $135 it would cost to get them with high index lenses? I'm looking at the Huxley frames in particular.

6. Mudhiker

Mudhiker Senior member

Sorry to bump this old thread, I'm just looking into a pair of their glasses. Are they worth the $135 it would cost to get them with high index lenses? I'm looking at the Huxley frames in particular.

I just did the at home trial last week. Of the 5, only one looked right on my face, even though they all appear roughly similar on the website.

As for quality, they seem about equal to acetate frames i recently bought from Costco for the same price with lenses. You really should do the trial though before ordering to see if they please you. It's free as long as you ship them back in time.

7. perpetua

perpetua Senior member

I seem to remember reading recently that WB has run a buy-one-get-one-free sale. (I'm referring to something separate from the standard buy-one-we'll-donate-one-free, though maybe the post I was reading was confused...). Anyone remember this sale happening, and have a prediction when it'll return?

8. Connemara

Connemara [URL='http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jST2Sv63WQ']

Just found this threak. I ordered five pairs for home try-on. I'll report back when they show up.

9. sidamo

sidamo Well-Known Member

about a week ago I placed an order for the home try on kit. They just sent me an e-mail yesterday - about 7 days later - saying that it shipped with a tracking number.

I like the styles available. I wear contacts daily, and want a new pair of glasses to rest my eyes, that I can still wear out.

I am trying

Thompson Whiskey Tortoise
    Crosby-Burgundy Fade
    Sinclair-Burgundy Fade
    Webb Amber
    Miles Sandalwood Matte

I'll report back aswell

10. Mudhiker

Mudhiker Senior member

Of the five frames I ordered for the in-home trial, only the Roosevelt looked good on my wide face. But I just got an email from them the other day and they have added 14 new styles.

11. alliswell

alliswell Senior member

They should make sunglasses.

Tinted lenses will cost $40-$50 and will work out well. I'm wearing my Elbridges today.

12. spitfirees20

spitfirees20 Senior member

I've also ordered the 5 frame at-home trial, but I have no idea when they'll ship. I'll update with my impressions when they come in, but I'm anxious to hear from others who have already received their frames.

13. Srynerson

Srynerson Senior member

It would be nice if they offered a search option to filter the catalogue for in-stock styles given that they seem to be out of stock for so many of them.

14. spitfirees20

spitfirees20 Senior member

It would be nice if they offered a search option to filter the catalogue for in stock styles given that they seem to be out of stock for so many of them.

I agree; some sort of icon on the glasses selection page that lets you know you can't use them in the 5 pair trial would be great.

15. sidamo

sidamo Well-Known Member

I received my home try on kit the other day. The glasses are cheaply constructed, but still a bargain at $95 w/ prescription lenses.

I am going to order the Thompson in crystal. I like the darker browns and burgundy tortoise colors but they do not look good with my blond hair & light complexion.

The try on kit came about two weeks after I originally ordered it via UPS. The kit included a free return label, that i placed onto the package and dropped into a nearby ups drop off box.