• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stylish but functional winter boots?

ff4marvel

Reaction score
Hi everybody, Fairly new to SF so forgive me if this has been covered extensively elsewhere -- I'm looking for a pair of functional but not garish winter boots, ideally something pretty flexible that can be either dressed up or down. I don't need anything too rugged or outdoorsy; trudging through snow will be more of a last resort than a hobby. But I do need something that can at least function in snowy/wet conditions without becoming damaged. I'm a southern California native going to school in the midwest, so my knowledge of winter weather and especially snow wear is, shall we say, lacking. Any help you guys can offer is much appreciated -- in my brief time on this forum I've yet to find any area that at least a few people weren't experts in. Thanks!

Cant kill da Rooster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Blundstone boots. Excellent for wet or snow and surprisingly warm. Built to last and also look quite good. Downside is they take a little to break in, but once they do...

Blundstone_chisel_toe_pairS.jpg

Bull

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have agonized over this for a long time.

You have to make a choice. If you want performance (i.e. dry feet), you need a nice, sturdy "****-kicker" boot. If you want looks, fine...but you'll get wet feet.

My solution? I wear an acceptable-looking boot to work, and then change into something more work-appropriate when I get to the office.

As I get older, I care less about looks to and from the office, and more about not having to work a 12 hour day with wet socks.

This should do the trick, and if your trouser bottom is big enough to fit over it, will draw zero attention to your feet. Win-win: http://www.timberland.com/product/in...entPage=family

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For good looking and expensive boots see these
Ludwig Reiter's available from Massimo Bizzochi
in New York.

http://massbizz.com/MenShoesWinter09.shtml

If interested, I'd contact Ludwig
Reiter in Vienna directly. You'll get a much
better price andvery knowledgeable service
in perfect English.

Raoul Rubess at Ludwig Reiter

[email protected]>

Bull

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
5.jpg

Wow. Nice!

asdf

Reaction score
LL Bean Katahdin Iron Works Boot

Can't exactly be dressed up, though

youngScholar

Reaction score
Originally Posted by asdf
LL Bean Katahdin Iron Works Boot

Can't exactly be dressed up, though

+1 About as stylish as you can get while still owning a functional work boot. Good traction without massive lugs on the sole. Hit them with water-proofing cream and you're good.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

HEWSINATOR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The suggestions in this thread reminded me how different winters are for different people. Up here, there is one winter boot, and that is Sorel. As for a practical boot that could be worn inside and such, I think you need to just go for a boot in whatever style you like.

lastlight

Reaction score
Originally Posted by HEWSINATOR
The suggestions in this thread reminded me how different winters are for different people. Up here, there is one winter boot, and that is Sorel. As for a practical boot that could be worn inside and such, I think you need to just go for a boot in whatever style you like.

So true here in Vancouver it's called a rubber boot. Only once every four years do you need a sorel.
smile.gif

tim_horton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JayJay
+1. Alternatively, Alden wingtip high boots.
Aren't you nervous about the winter conditions ruining the shoes? These seem way too nice to go through walking through snow and salt.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads