1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

stylish backpack

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by dirtrider123, Mar 2, 2008.

1. Spencer

Spencer Senior member

Goruck GR1

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  2. deem

deem Senior member

I have this bag, and I really like it. It is expensive, but a good option if you are looking for a bag in that price range. I was lucky enough to pick it up when Stel's had it on sale. It fits more than I thought it would. I've used it for law school this year (2L year), and it has not had any problems holding a few case books and my 13" Macbook Pro.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2012
  3. PipersSon

PipersSon Senior member

What about the design suggests that?

4. conceptionist

conceptionist Senior member

I think he was referring to the thin leather straps. Something thicker, like padded synthetic material or regular canvas works better. Doen't look as good though.

5. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

^ correct. and bag design is multiples more function over form unfortunately... That backpack looks the kind of bag I'd put my iPad, Rhodia, a little point and shoot camera, and a pack of cigarettes in for 'doing artistic stuff' all day.

6. Mercuryman76

Mercuryman76 Senior member

Just got my custom Frost River pack in today. Excited as shit for this thing. I went with their Vintage Pack style, but changed the dimension to 16"x13"x5" and added the padded buckskin leather straps. Waxed canvas, brass hardware, made in the USA, lifetime guarantee, I'm pretty happy with this thing.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  7. PipersSon

PipersSon Senior member

Well I decided to risk it. At the moment the jury is still out on whether I will keep i,t but I though I'd comment on the backpack in general.

It's a good looking rucksack, the combination of grey tweed and dark browth leather, and tiny brass studs gives it a tastefully understated look.

Now, in terms of volume, it's more capacious than I assumed from the pics, and (if I read him right) what impolyt_one/ Drew assumed. It has an internal divider (a back wall pocket for a 15 inch laptop), and also 3 'slots' where you could put the small stuff (wallet, change, diary, whatever) plus 2 pen slots. How to say how large it is? Well I could use it as a weekend bag(for the sake of argument 2 jeans, 2 changes of underwear and vest, 2 shirts/ T shorts, a light jacket, water bottle, laptop and a couple of books. Plus there would be some room to spare). Apart from the flapover, it also closes via a leather drawstring that you can tighten.

Now as for the leather straps, IMO they are not as thin nor as narrow as they look in the pictures. But I will give the numbers so you can judge - 3.7 cms in width (at the widest point which is 3/4ths of the strap, before it tapers into the closure)and 0.3mm thick. People who have an opinion - is the strap below, medium to or above standard widths/ thicknesses for rucksacks?

Will it hurt my shoulders if I overload it, as someone suggested? I don't know the answer to that one, maybe someone can comment based on the info above?

All in all a good looking piece that I would use for travel/ casual Fridays all the time. I would not use it for hiking though, prefer the nylon/ synthetic versions for that.

Will I keep it? That depends on whether I think the price is justified. It retails at around $985, I bought i from MrPorter for $492.50, it closed on the Porter site at $292.50 :fu:

Last edited: Jan 11, 2012
  8. Samir

Samir Senior member

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Waxed canvas.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2012
  9. roryben

roryben Senior member

What are these? They look neat.

10. johnH123

johnH123 Senior member

Goruck. I have a GR2 for travelling and work and its great. Can't recommend them enough, I have their brick bag (small stuff sack) and the fancy ball cap. The stuff is well made, looks good and made in the USA (if that matters to you).

I just so happen to be selling a Radio Ruck (perfect day-bag for your average student or worker). I just need something bigger so my GR2 gets more use.

1 person likes this.
  11. Samir

Samir Senior member

They're from Everlane, should go on sale in the next 1-2 weeks.

12. grito

grito New Member

][​IMG][​IMG]

goruck is nice, but why would anyone pay over $200 for a backpack. Dont tell me quality, an on sale jansport for $10 lasted me through middle school/high school/college/trips. After a wash still looks good.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2012
  13. aaronxxx

aaronxxx Senior member

[​IMG]

just picked this up for 25 dollars

14. JChance

JChance Senior member

[​IMG]

Fjallraven Kanken $65 in like 30 colors

[​IMG]

North Face Purple Label

[​IMG]

Patrik Ervell $670 - 100% cowhide leather

Last edited: Jan 17, 2012
  15. ac_slater

ac_slater Senior member

Any other bags that resemble to the Makr rucksack? I really like those and am wondering if I'm missing out on something similar that's even cooler.

Also I really like that Frost River bag but the color is kinda meh. Wish it came in a black or navy.

16. slack tide

slack tide Senior member

So the Makr round backpack is on sale. Did anyone pick it up, or considering? I'm really close myself. I've liked it since I saw it in this thread and haven't ran across any others of comparable style in the same price range. Ervell pack is a little too costly and difficult to find, and with the ToJ out of production, I feel like this is the next best thing. If anyone has ideas for a leather, or canvas and leather in the 2-$300 range let me know...

17. Jd5016

Jd5016 Active Member

What are these two pictured?

18. Aeneas

Aeneas Senior member

I just got my Everlane snap backpack (the revised one). I love it, in my opinion it is very nice.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2012
  19. Jd5016

Jd5016 Active Member

Anyone now who makes these bags????

20. hhenryhhh

hhenryhhh Senior member

I've been using a black basic Jansport for school

I'm looking for a black teardrop shape backpack with the protruding outer pockets, like those military ALICE packs but I don't want to get the shitty quality army surplus repros.

I can't really get into square/rectangular shaped packs because I don't believe they'll slouch that nicely.