1. Welcome to our newest affiliate vendor, Atelier Wen We are very happy to welcome our newest affiliate vendor, Atelier Wen focusing on quality mechanical watches proudly made in China.

Styleforum's Sweet Sixteen

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by LA Guy, Feb 8, 2018.

1. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Oh man... I had completely forgotten about that article.

2. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Stylish Dinosaur

Money quote:

3. LA Guy

I'm happy to announce that the second recipient of one of our Styleforum Sweet Sixteen gifts is @Michigan Planner - an excellent guy and incidentally, a great supporter of our annual charity auctions. We will work with him and @gshen to get a great new, custom tie from Vanda Fine Clothing around his neck!

Please contact me in this thread, @Michigan Planner , and also email me at [email protected]

Cheers,

Fok.

4. Michigan Planner

Michigan Planner Distinguished Member

@LA Guy - Very Cool! I didn't even know about this Sweet Sixteen event! It sounds like I need to broaden my threads - pun intended. ;)

5. Bradford

Bradford Current Events Moderator

Oh wow, I'm a bit late to the party but thanks for posting this thread Fok!

I actually just checked in because I got an email from Carlo Franco Ties last night and was wondering if anyone else received it as well. Apparently they are back.... again... LOL :)

Similarly to AmbulanceChaser, I came over in 2002 after I had visited the GQ Forums and found them to be virtually worthless but found mention of this new forum and thought I'd give it a try (and I was looking for a GQAirlinePilot reference as well).

For the first 10 years or so I was pretty active, culminating with that incredible 10-year anniversary party at the W.

I've had a lot of great discussions, learned a ton about clothes, but most importantly I've made a lot of good friends, most of whom I've had chances to meet in real life.

Here's to keeping it going another 16 years. Cheers!

6. LA Guy

I should take this opportunity to say that on Easter, we are going to have an Easter Egg hunt in a few of our most popular threads, with two regular Easter eggs (still good, trust me) and one golden egg that will probably blow your minds. Don't forget to be subscribed to the newsletter, and to read journal.styleforum.net. I will also post hints about the locations of the Easter Eggs here next Sunday, but very likely, if you wait until then, you'll be sad because they will have all been found.

Cheers,

Fok.

7. flipstah

flipstah Distinguished Member

Yay! Here's to 16 more!

8. norcaltransplant

norcaltransplant Distinguished Member

What did I miss? I can't believe I've been reading this forum for 16 years.

Procrastinating and reading about shoes got me through graduate school.
    I still have my Edward Green boots from the first Asprey closing sale and an assortment of Grenson Masterpiece from the first Paul Stuart blowout. And U remember the JM Weston sale as my first time I met Poorsod.

9. LA Guy

Got me through writing and defending my thesis, a postdoc, a stint as a bonafide academic, and now as a tech-fashion-whatever guy. Met a great many good people, got married, had kids, moved around the country, and on it still goes. I think that for some very of us, this may be the common thread that ties our life experiences from the past 16 years together.

It's a weird, wonderful, world.

10. Yorker

Yorker Senior Member

SF has had a huge impact on how i see some things in the world. for that I am grateful.

11. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Stylish Dinosaur

As one of the all-time greats of SF allow me to share some shit with yall.

I don't know how I found SF or I don't remember/don't want to remember. Either way, you're welcome.

So after a longtime threatening to do so I quit my job in July. I haven't been as successful as I had hoped making my next step but whatever.

The peak of SF was basically about a year before I joined to 2011. DT was the shit back then. I remember the WDYFD Last Night thread being three pages a day on a slow day. Conyay making me so wet. you people suck you people suck you people suck you people suck. I have a dust on my rolex. And Tokyo Slim being Tokyo Slim.

Of course who can remember Manton at culinary school or Matt's slaughtering and butchering a whole hog. Or why's guide to buying canned sardines.

I know it's been said many times but even though those particular topics essentially revelled in their esoterica that there is/was one spot on the internet where you could serendipitously find that information and more is why SF was great. I don't mean it in a bad sense, more wistfully but that sort of lightning in a bottle just isn't happening again. And there's still a great repository of knowledge but the way things were can't and won't happen again.

"I just wish there was a way to know you're in the good-ole days before you've left them."

-- Michael Scott
    --Wayne Gretzky

:angry:

:deadhorse:

who was this? I know the leather jacket guy in seoul/tokyo had some stuff go down but that wasn't it?
    So what Kwilk didn't like was when someone asked if he was related to Kendra (vaguely) and then the same poaster asked if Ksilk ever wanted to do her. It got weird fast.

12. Texasmade

Texasmade Distinguished Member

I remember someone posting a link to some adult tumbler or something like that and a member here went through every single picture and posted commentary for every chick on the site. This was before links to nudity was banned. I still remember one of the comments had to do with a girl and a giant pedo teddy bear she was humping.

13. taxgenius

taxgenius Distinguished Member

It was Linksonjack.

14. Bradford

Bradford Current Events Moderator

Pretty funny that the NY Times article referenced that we liked Larry Kudlow's style, which I still think was my thread, and now he and Manton are both working for Trump.

15. HansderHund

HansderHund Distinguished Member

Funny, I actually thought I’d post that quote as a reply, but you beat me to it. Though it was Andy Bernard that said it.