• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Styleforum's Sweet Sixteen

cyc wid it

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The divergence between CM and SW&D. :redface:

Came for either random raw denim questions or awful CM casual info. Have since read more than I'll ever need to know about bespoke suits, deadstock fabrics, foo adventures (breast wallet, chambray, etc), learned how to size common projects and GATs, sized down on APC and Dior Jeans, bought some decent CM clothes that I rarely get to wear, own a pair of cordovan Aldens, rise and fall of ToJ, etc. Still haven't mastered the robopose. I also got to meet Fok, Jasper, and Gus which was cool. Also met Greg during his SF trunk show (come back already @gdl203 ).

Got something cool made by @Parker too. Ran into @Mr. Six at the tailor he recommended to get some Formosa altered I picked up from Greg.

It's interesting to see the rise and fall of various other forums in the meantime. Does SuFu even exist anymore?

@Fuuma deserves a mention. Also @jet. @barims + LK lifestyle pics.

Everyone I've ever asked questions to has been pretty nice and knowledgeable (whether vendor or just random poster).

Last edited:

Caustic Man

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
So here's my story. I was a lurker, like many before me.

I'd been into clothes since forever (childhood, literally) and I liked getting, and giving feedback but I didn't know anyone else who was into it like me. I would post things about fashion and clothing on my Live Journal (remember those?) and a few friends who were into it would engage with me. Not many. Not enough for me, anyway.

I decided that there must be a great forum out there devoted to clothes where I could share ideas and show everyone how good I looked. I found SF via google search, and I lurked. I lurked and lurked, a little nervous to jump in before getting a feel for the community. It's remarkable how little good info I absorbed by lurking because when I finally registered and posted my first fit pic, it was bad. I had a background in Trad from my beloved grandparents, and an influence from tropical British styles from having lived in Dubai. But I didn't know anything about the history of either, so I randomly tossed together things I thought looked good but which were, in reality, totally incoherent.

@acridsheep destroyed my look but I was used to being confronted like that. I was a military man, after all. I kept posting and getting destroyed. But with that tearing down of aesthetic biases I also received solid advice. This was familiar to me. Breaking down and building up at the same time. It was like being in basic training. I could feel myself becoming an experienced member, more than just in post count, in know-how and expertise. A few moments of chastening from experienced members reminded me that I still had a lot to learn. I still do. But I think I'm more humble now. The whole time I've been here I've been trying to deal with some pretty severe PTSD issues from the war. Sorry if that's too personal, but I'm not embarrassed to talk about it anymore. This explains, partially, the Caustic Man persona. But I've always been a bit of a difficult person to get along with. Give a man a mask, like the internet, and he shows you his true face, I suppose.

I resisted the aesthetic of @Manton because he was the forum God at the time. I'm a contrarian, what can I say? I took @sugarbutch as my aesthetic muse. Then I gave up musing and studied history and context. All aided by the great storehouse of knowledge that this community is.

I guess today I'm known as one of the few Trad/Ivy guys on this forum, but I'm really not. I like all styles, as long as there is an interesting history and a "philosophy" behind it. I say philosophy while knowing full well that I have not, and probably cannot, define that in this context very well. My point is that SF, among other things, has helped me achieve an appreciation for all classical styles of dress. G. Bruce Boyer who, so far as I know has never been a member of this forum, has become my inspiration. He came from a Trad background but grew to enjoy a variety of styles, as well store become very knowledgable in them. I've even come to have an interest and appreciation for the so-called Streetwear styles.

Has SF changed my life? Undoubtedly. In what ways I can't say entirely. I've certainly met a lot of great people. Interestingly, I haven't met any of you in person. Not one. That's partially on purpose, but partially not. I'm very reticent but I also don't give off a vibe that I'd not be fun at parties. Which isn't true. Anyway, life is busy and I think I'd like to keep SF in the realm of distraction.

It's been fun, and challenging, and transformational, and difficult. Congratulations again on sixteen years. That's a pretty long time in internet years.

usctrojans31

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This thread has made me reminisce in a beautiful way. The most under appreciated thread has to be the "who is the SF approved guy in my yoga class" thread from about five years ago, which spawned the running joke of creating a SF secret code. Think it was something like MaFooSpooVox, which I maintain always sounded like it was from the movie Avatar. It was equal parts good natured snark and genuine camaraderie, which to me is the hallmark of this forum. I think of that thread whenever I see someone well dressed on the street. When Styleforum becomes part of your day-to-day people watching, you know it's a tangible part of your life.

So to all of the people from whom I've learned, met and built relationships with, here's to a great 16 years. And to Fok, thanks for making this place fun. Cheers.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That reminds me, I was once recognized by a fellow SFer in synagogue in another country and another time standing outside of New York Penn Station.

Nothing beats the feeling.

Mr. Six

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The divergence between CM and SW&D. :redface:

Came for either random raw denim questions or awful CM casual info. Have since read more than I'll ever need to know about bespoke suits, deadstock fabrics, foo adventures (breast wallet, chambray, etc), learned how to size common projects and GATs, sized down on APC and Dior Jeans, bought some decent CM clothes that I rarely get to wear, own a pair of cordovan Aldens, rise and fall of ToJ, etc. Still haven't mastered the robopose. I also got to meet Fok, Jasper, and Gus which was cool. Also met Greg during his SF trunk show (come back already @gdl203 ).

Got something cool made by @Parker too. Ran into @Mr. Six at the tailor he recommended to get some Formosa altered I picked up from Greg.

It's interesting to see the rise and fall of various other forums in the meantime. Does SuFu even exist anymore?

@Fuuma deserves a mention. Also @jet. @barims + LK lifestyle pics.

Everyone I've ever asked questions to has been pretty nice and knowledgeable (whether vendor or just random poster).
:hide: It was bound to happen sooner or later. I believe I've just missed encounters with at least a couple of other SFers. And the tailor often shows me stuff that others have left with him--I'm sure he does the same with mine. Great guy.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I took @sugarbutch as my aesthetic muse.

This is perhaps the most surprising thing I've ever read on StyFo.

I rarely wear jacket and tie lately, but I keep coming back to keep up with the folks here. I've really enjoyed the banter, debates, meetups, and inspiration over the years. I can't remember whether I came here first because of Put This On or A Suitable Wardrobe, but I didn't lurk for long. I'm sure that surprises no one.

Thanks for creating and nurturing the venue!

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Thanks, Gus! It's always a pleasure to see you IRL, too.

Reactions: Gus

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Apparently all of the meetups always happen in San Francisco. I should make my way over there for a meetup.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Come on out! Seriously, if you come to San Francisco, let us know.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Bay Area meetups happened when @emptym was traveling across country on his motorcycle and stayed with Styleforum members. When he arrived in SF we had a meetup at a cigar bar with Matt, who hosted him, and about a dozen others. Aarin Binn’s organized them for a couple years then I took over. Lots of interesting folks come through SF so we get a great mix of stylish gents, streetwear cool, tailors, retailers and brands. Best of all is meeting up all ages of people that appreciate style and details. We share a lot of information about tailors, brands, shoes etc., over drinks and dinner, best of all in real life. It’s enjoyable.

emptym

Reaction score
Yeah, I think the first one was @binge's idea, and he set up the cigar bar.

And I think I only stayed at one member's house, @michaeljkrell in Omaha. That was a fun trip. Almost died a few times though. Thread here, but the pics don't work anymore. I think they were there before the new platform.

Last edited:

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Bay Area meetups happened when @emptym was traveling across country on his motorcycle and stayed with Styleforum members. When he arrived in SF we had a meetup at a cigar bar with Matt, who hosted him, and about a dozen others. Aarin Binn’s organized them for a couple years then I took over. Lots of interesting folks come through SF so we get a great mix of stylish gents, streetwear cool, tailors, retailers and brands. Best of all is meeting up all ages of people that appreciate style and details. We share a lot of information about tailors, brands, shoes etc., over drinks and dinner, best of all in real life. It’s enjoyable.
I agree with all of that. Excepting maybe that one time we had chicken sashimi. @Parker was there too. I still don't know how we let @itsstillmatt talk us into that.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My wife ge
I agree with all of that. Excepting maybe that one time we had chicken sashimi. @Parker was there too. I still don't know how we let @itsstillmatt talk us into that.

Oh man, I try to forget about that meal, but aside from raw chicken it was a classic Styleforum meetup; great guys, interesting conversation, lots of style. Good times!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads