• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Styleforum's finances

johnapril

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pay up or dirt nap!

seok

Reaction score
maybe we could start a trend of having members sell things they don't really need and passing on some/all of the proceeds to SF...

i'll start the trend...

Quirk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How about having various levels of annual contribution, as most educational institutions and non-profits do? You could indicate the member's donor level in their profile in addition to (or instead of) the various designations which indicate posting volume.

Donations of $5.00 or less could, for example, put you in the 'American Jackass Circle', donations over $100.00 could put you into the 'Gentleman's [or Ladies'] Club', and you could work out groupings for various increments in between...

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I do really like the raffle idea. We are also considering how to get a contest going for the Men's Clothing WAYWT thread as well, to push people to participate in it and post pictures, which a lot of people consider one of the most valuable resources on the board.

And there is a forum Amazon store that has books, movies and some closet/home supplies picked out - it's just not very obvious at the moment. All of this stuff is going to be addressed soon.

Thanks for all the ideas though, keep them coming.

LARon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm up for whatever the majority decides.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
I hate advertising. It destroys the look of the site almost always. Donations are the only way to go.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
I'm not sure how a raffle would work given different sizes unless its a tie or a generous vendor who can offer up a variety of common sizes.

von Rothbart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Artisan Fan
I hate advertising. It destroys the look of the site almost always. Donations are the only way to go.

+1, that's why I voted for donation.

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Members could donate unused items from their closets for the raffles. Who knows what treaures lurk in the back of the shoe vault??
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

jjgold

Reaction score
I guess I was a bit stupid on this topic. I have thought about the cost of this site but have not considered where the money came from. If you sell advertising than you may lose the objectivity of the site. I have this site open almost all day long and peek at periodically. If one wants to preserve the integrity of this site than maybe a $100 annual membership fee may be in order. I use this site for ideas more than any book or magazine since I almost always have access to it (even from my blackberry). Ideas and information is NOT FREE! Just my two cents.

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Artisan Fan
I'm not sure how a raffle would work given different sizes unless its a tie or a generous vendor who can offer up a variety of common sizes.
Whoever administers the raffle could simply place the order for the winner with a vendor in the winner's size. Or it could be for a prize like a gift certificate at STP. ****, we should totally raffle a pair of C&J from Plal! At 10 bucks a ticket, we'd have no problem covering the cost.

dr.no

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chorse123
Whoever administers the raffle could simply place the order for the winner with a vendor in the winner's size. Or it could be for a prize like a gift certificate at STP.

****, we should totally raffle a pair of C&J from Plal! At 10 bucks a ticket, we'd have no problem covering the cost.

+1. Given all the business generated by this Forum, some merchants might even donate goods/services just for the free advertising.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jjgold
I guess I was a bit stupid on this topic. I have thought about the cost of this site but have not considered where the money came from. If you sell advertising than you may lose the objectivity of the site. I have this site open almost all day long and peek at periodically. If one wants to preserve the integrity of this site than maybe a $100 annual membership fee may be in order. I use this site for ideas more than any book or magazine since I almost always have access to it (even from my blackberry). Ideas and information is NOT FREE! Just my two cents.

Actually, google ads would bypass this problem, since the ads are contextual. I've seen forums where there are ads for, say, Eddie Bauer, in which Eddie Bauer has been mercilessly bashed.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by minimal
As far as I'm concerned, J should be *required* to buy at least 1 cothing-related item for himself with the proceeds, and post pics. If he failed to do so, or if the item did not garner the approval of a 2/3 majority of voting members, some kind of punishment would be meted out. For example, he might be forced to re-read the "Peek-A-Boo Jesus Pants" thread. But that can be worked out later...by poll.
laugh.gif

How will we set up the voting process? We should set up guidelines for ratification. I believe we should use the ancient Roman Republic governmental system (after all this is the Style Forvm). Jon.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads