• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Styleforummarket - Viberg x Styleforum MTO orders - the inaugural edition

Which of these boots would you be interested in purchasing in Styleforummarket's Viberg MTO program

• A) Standard Issue Black leather Service Boot

Votes: 22 28.2%
  • B) Iced Mocha CXL Service boot[

Votes: 28 35.9%
  • C) Black Calf "Excavated" Service Boot

Votes: 20 25.6%
  • D) Tan Roughout Service Boot

Votes: 19 24.4%
  • E) Two toned Whiskey Scotch Grain and Brown CXL Service boot

Votes: 12 15.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Arizor

Reaction score
For those who voted the black boot options: would any prefer brass eyelets over gunmetal? I would.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score

For those who voted the black boot options: would any prefer brass eyelets over gunmetal? I would.

I think that the antiqued brass eyelets could look pretty cool on the excavated boot, was my first thought when I read this post. The contrast would be really interesting. For the standard boot, I would be less convinced.

Finn666

Reaction score
****...couldn't edit the way i wanted!

new post two posts down!...

Last edited:

Arizor

Reaction score

I think that the antiqued brass eyelets could look pretty cool on the excavated boot, was my first thought when I read this post. The contrast would be really interesting. For the standard boot, I would be less convinced.

I'm with you, asides from I think it would be best to get that build brand new, as opposed to pre-distressed. But I think once broken in, with a good 6 months wear, they will look amazing with the antiqued brass eyelets.

SLAB

Reaction score

For those that voted B can we start discussing details.

Probably the biggest one is sole. I'd be in for single leather but if the majority wanted another option id be OK with that. I tried searching for what single leather with Vibram 705 half sole is but didn't find anything.

Second is the last. I'm fine with 2030. I don't have a real odd shaped foot so I've been fine with any last I've ever tried. I don't have any experience with Viberg tho.

As for the tongue, I'd vote for brown over black. Ok with brass eyelets.

here's an example of the ice mocha with single leather and half sole option.

dscn0618n by SLAB13, on Flickr

dscn0620d by SLAB13, on Flickr

my preference goes to double leather (rugged, vintage looking) or half soles (more 'usable' perhaps?)

Finn666

Reaction score

iotan

Reaction score

It's a bummer for me as well. It sorta sucked to see Guy's email, but I probably shouldn't have jumped the gun on those two makeups. The leather used in the boondocker is pretty cool. I'll ask Guy about that. Why would you prefer that to the copper? Just trying to think of other leathers that might be similar. I've already asked Guy about other two tone offerings that would be similar to the two tone offering similar to the proposed, and I'm excited to see what he comes back with. Cheers, Fok.
I can't quite put my finger on it but personally I am just not a big fan of the copper. I think the cinnamon roughout might be good if they still do it:
I also like the roughout in the following pic (although it is also from a few years ago):
Also, thank you for all your time and help pulling this together, Fok.

Last edited:

GoldenTribe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Forgive me a few stupid questions, but if all options are a Service boot on a particular last, that means there is only one silhouette available, right? Can someone clarify whether the Service Boot under discussion is the snub-nosed kind ...

... Or the lower-profile toe?

Fok, would B be similar to this model in color and detail (obvi sole and eyelet number are different)
null-183.jpg

Is there anywhere to see pictures of all the sole options Viberg offers? I like the sole SLAB posted ("single leather and half sole option" -- the half refers to "half Dainite sole", right? :uhoh:) but it wasn't one of the "prefab" options I don't think and now I'm wondering what else is out there.

Finally, I see Viberg offers MTO through their website; assuming one-offs are available, if the threshold for group orders isn't met on a particular configuration, how significant would the price increase be to have one pair made instead of four? (No distressing etc involved.) More like $100-200 or double the price?

Last edited:

Dbear

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Finally, I see Viberg offers MTO through their website; assuming one-offs are available, if the threshold for group orders isn't met on a particular configuration, how significant would the price increase be to have one pair made instead of four? (No distressing etc involved.) More like $100-200 or double the price?
I was quoted ~$730 shipped to US for a single MTO oxford in roughout suede. I don't know how that translate into the boots, though.

VLSI

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

I think the cinnamon roughout might be good if they still do it:
These look really great :thumbs-up: Bordering on too "work boot", but I think the sole keeps them differentiated.

bdeuce22

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
GoldenTribe

I think the first boot is a "structured toe" and the second is the "unstructured toe".

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Forgive me a few stupid questions, but if all options are a Service boot on a particular last, that means there is only one silhouette available, right? Can someone clarify whether the Service Boot under discussion is the snub-nosed kind ... ... Or the lower-profile toe?
The boots proposed here are all on the lower profile last, the 2030, to be exact.
Is there anywhere to see pictures of all the sole options Viberg offers? I like the sole SLAB posted ("single leather and half sole option" -- the half refers to "half Dainite sole", right? :uhoh:) but it wasn't one of the "prefab" options I don't think and now I'm wondering what else is out there.
There isn't, as far as I know. They are not that well set up for web sales, even wholesale, as there is no consolidated list of lasts, or leather or sole options at any particular time. However, I am in touch with Guy pretty regularly.
It's more like a couple of hundreds of dollars.
I was quoted ~$730 shipped to US for a single MTO oxford in roughout suede. I don't know how that translate into the boots, though.
It would be considerably higher. Add $175 to the prices we quotes, and you'd be there. Some of the makeups proposed here are quite intricate, and costs for "extras" add up quickty. Just off the top of my head, a basic boot with a dainite sole (so, no special leather, no two tone, no special requests, etc...) would run you $850, before shipping. Actual shipping across North America is $50USD or so, and overseas, you are looking at $100 USD, easily.
I can't quite put my finger on it but personally I am just not a big fan of the copper. I think the cinnamon roughout might be good if they still do it:
I also like the roughout in the following pic (although it is also from a few years ago):
Also, thank you for all your time and help pulling this together, Fok.
I like the cinnamon quite a lot. I'll ask if that is available.

rydenfan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Fok,

THANK YOU so much for all of your effort on this. I am super stoked to have access, not to mention input, on some really unique footwear.

Stitches

Reaction score
+1

Much thanks for the hard work. Looking forward to the finalized options, as they say

-------------
Below:

Grey all the way

Last edited:

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
BTW, here are my boots being polished. irl, the boots have a little more brown in the grey than is shown in the picture, but the nature of the leather is such that it's nearly impossible to capture 100%. This is reasonably close though. Much better than I could do. They came laced up with waxed cotton "bone" laces. You can see how this is a "sneaker boot", I hope. It's not unlike the Visvim Virgil, but with a more sneaker/moonboot feel to it. So good.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads