• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

StyleForum Visits Kamakura

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score

When I was given the opportunity to travel to New York City to cover Capsule, there was one store on the top of my must visit list: Kamakura Shirts. Like so much of my menswear knowledge, I first learned of the brand on StyleForum, and I was intrigued at the prospect of a new shirt maker in America that offered affordable and well-styled shirts.

Founded in 1991 by Yoshido Sadusue, the brand tries to replicate the classic 1960s Ivy League Style epitomized by the Brooks Brothers oxford cloth button down, the staple of college campuses all across the East Coast. From their tiny shop – it’s really very small – on Madison Avenue in the Upper East Side, Kamakura sells Made in Japan shirts starting at $79 (cheaper than many shirts sold by Brooks Brothers today). The styles range from basic, standard oxford cloths to unique summer pique shirts that are an interesting combination of a polo shirt and a button-down.

I visited early in the morning on a weekday, and the store was quiet and relaxed. The staff was friendly, polite and knowledgeable, and was eager to make suggestions. I also appreciated that they kept a number of try on shirts on hand, allowing me to avoid the awkward “let me just open this sealed shirt to give it a go...” dilemma you find in many clothing stores.

I am a particular fan of their classic oxford cloth button down. Produced in casual, royal and pinpoint oxford cloths (covering pretty much every level of formality), they feature a substantial collar roll with long points and a pronounced arch as well as thick mother-of-pearl buttons. The workmanship is top notch with precise and neat stitching and a high stich per inch count and the fabrics feel luxurious at every price point. The buttonholes, while machine sewn, are neat and sturdy.

Beyond their oxford cloth button downs, Kamakura sells a varied selection of shirts. While I normally only wear button-down collars, I tried on shirts featuring classic spreads, wide spreads and Italian cutaways, and they also carry a line-up of formal shirts appropriate for black and white tie. The shirts come in four different fits in varying degrees of slimness. The slimmest fit is the “Tokyo Slim Fit” and is a slim fit with a pronounced V-shape and back darts. It is much slimmer than both Brooks Brothers extra-slim fit and Charles Tyrwhitt slim fits. The next step down is the “Tokyo Classic Fit,” which, will still slim, has less of a taper. For the American market they also developed two new fits, “New York Slim Fit” and “New York Classic Fit,” which are much closer to standard American dress-shirt sizing. Important to note is that Kamakura cuts their shirt with the assumption that they will be machine dried, and leaves a fabric allowance to account for shrinkage. If you plan on hang drying or dry cleaning, you can most likely size down. Although I’m a standard 16.5/35, when trying on shirts I found that the 16/35 fit well. For non-dress shirts, I found a large in the Tokyo Slim Fit is equivalent to a medium in most American brands.

Kamakura also recently unveiled their in-shop made-to-measure program. Shirts cost $180 – a price that includes Thomas Mason fabrics – with a turn around of 45 days. They also carry a more luxurious shirt line, the “300 Club,” which features shirts made of higher-quality fabrics and higher thread counts. While I didn’t have an opportunity to try one on, the fabrics were delicate to the touch, and the stitching looked similar to that found in extremely high-end Italian brands.

Since my visit, Kamakura has expanded their stock with a range of limited edition oxford cloth button downs commemorating the upcoming first-year anniversary of the New York store, as well as a line of vintage Ivy styled shirts in collaboration with Graham Marsh. While back in Japan Kamakura sells a full lineup of suiting, in America their shirts are only joined by a small selection of accessories. I got to see bowties, ties and cufflinks, and all fit in well with the store’s overall Ivy aesthetic. The store also carries a small selection of women’s clothing.

If you don’t live in New York, or don’t travel there regularly for Capsule, their shirts are available online. The website also includes detailed and accurate sizing charts

Last edited:

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Great write up. I'm loving what I have seen from this brand so far.

Louys

Reaction score
My kamakura OCBD is my favorite shirt. I just wish they would put out a larger variety of patterns. Variations on pale blue and white a rotation does not make.

poorsod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The price point for their stuff is really good. They have a handful of 120s 2x2 in the Thomas Mason book that look like good value. They also have seasonal ties at their store that aren't available online.

iris

Reaction score
I have one of their standard OCBDs ($79, front shirt pocket, a bit more business appropriate) and one of their "knit shirt" OCBDs ($99, no shirt pocket, slightly more casual, but extremely comfortable) and they're my favourite OCBDs by a considerable margin. You'd be hard-pressed trying to find a better Price/Value OCBDs in the market.

dusttruffle

Reaction score
would love to get one. but unless i am wrong none of the measurements seem to fit my BBESF 16x34 type of size (preferably with a shorter 17.5-18 inch yoke).
Closest it seems would be the "vintage ivy" tokyo fit Large -
but i would be nervous that whilst the chest measurement is 43.5 - (which i think would be ok for my 40" chest) - their chart reads "your chest =
36 1/2 - 38 1/2​
"

great write up teger

Last edited:

alexSF

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The size chart of the vintage ivy is totally off in inches, the correct one is the chart in cm.

Last edited:

ScottMC

Reaction score
Which fit would be closest to a Ralph Lauren Custom Fit OCBD, The Tokyo Classic, or the New York Slim? Thanks.

dusttruffle

Reaction score
would love to get one. but unless i am wrong none of the measurements seem to fit my BBESF 16x34 type of size (preferably with a shorter 17.5-18 inch yoke).
Closest it seems would be the "vintage ivy" tokyo fit Large -
but i would be nervous that whilst the chest measurement is 43.5 - (which i think would be ok for my 40" chest) - their chart reads "your chest =
36 1/2 - 38 1/2​
"

great write up teger

The size chart of the vintage ivy is totally off in inches, the correct one is the chart in cm.

thanks. all their size charts seem to be insistent that the chest measurement of the shirt is eight inches more than the chest measurement of the person wearing it.
It is just that i have a gross misunderstanding of fit (i usually aim for a shirt with +3 "-> 3.5" larger in the chest - and the waist for that matter - and i dont even go for the super slim look!)? Also do new yorkers either have disproportionate long arms?
mwink[1].gif

Last edited:

alexSF

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

thanks.  all their size charts seem to be insistent that the chest measurement of the shirt is eight inches more than the chest measurement of the person wearing it.
It is just that i have a gross misunderstanding of fit (i usually aim for a shirt with +3 "-> 3.5" larger in the chest - and the waist for that matter - and i dont even go for the super slim look!)?  Also do new yorkers either have disproportionate long arms? 
mwink%5B1%5D.gif

If could help, New york fit size M pit to pit is 21,5", tokyo fit size L is 22"
Sleeves from shoulders seam NY 26, Tokyo 24,75
The tokyo is 0,5 inch longer.

I own the new york and the tokyo is coming from a forum member.

Compare the measurements above to charts and you can find how the chart in inches it totally wrong

I found it very tapered not "slighty tapered" at least compared to BB ESF (15,5 - 34)
The large yoke makes the sleeve longer, and considering the very large cuffs it's very difficult to find the correct sleeve size, they are better suited for rolled up sleeves.

In the Classic OCBD consider that you could size down on sleeves from half to one inch due to large yoke.

Last edited:

dusttruffle

Reaction score
If could help, New york fit size M pit to pit is 21,5", tokyo fit size L is 22"
Sleeves from shoulders seam NY 66,5, Tokyo 63
I own the new york and the tokyo is coming.

I found it very tapered not "slighty tapered" at least compared to BB ESF.
The large yoke makes the sleeve longer, and considering the very large cuffs it's very difficult to find the correct sleeve size, they are better suited for rolled up sleeves.

thanks. much appreciated.

adam-r8

Reaction score
Those shirts look fantastic! Definitely going to look into adding a couple to my rotation, thanks for the introduction!

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Im in the market for some new shirts and ties so will try to stop in the next time im in NY

Last edited:

Stefan88

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If I remember correctly, their shirts were around 5000 yen for the standard ones in Japan.

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've noticed that Kamakura shirts have less material in the front on the shirt, and are very roomy in the back. Does anyone else notice this?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads