• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

StyleForum Visits Kamakura

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score

I've noticed that Kamakura shirts have less material in the front on the shirt, and are very roomy in the back. Does anyone else notice this?

I had to have my OCBD darted in the back a little bit, but that's true for really any shirt I buy OTR, so...

Definitely a good slim fit in the chest/shoulders though.

landscapes

Reaction score
I almost never buy things at retail but these are quite tempting.

TonioKroger

Reaction score
There's a reason everybody is so excited about the Kamakura shirts-- they're amazing. But I don't think that's why they're being talked about all the time. Nope. It's something else. It's because they have an *identity*. What do I mean? Read on...

For years, we've all been spending 100 bucks to buy some corporate committee's flaccid version of the once-great Brooks Brothers shirt. We've seen Land's End - which, let's face it, was always second rate- get even worse by chopping their collar down to a fashionable nub. We've been sending away to David Mercer for baggy, 80's style, shirts which, however nice they are, start at $135 for anything besides oxford cloth--- and rise considerably from there. Same with Gitman and O'Connell's. J. Crew? Gant? Come on. These are throwaway offerings created for people who have never worn a shirt made with care.

I can already hear people saying "Well, what about Luxire and Paris and all those bespoke places...?", but that brings me right back to my original point; the oxford cloth button down shirt is the quintessential off the rack shirt and it should NOT be made in some fancy bespoke place. American manufacturers created the popularity of the button down shirt in all its common-place, casual greatness. The shirts had an identity; they were affordable, relaxed but smart, and at the height of their popularity they defined a real American egalitarian ideal--- *everyone* could have access to the same great, classic look.

So let's start with a review of the shirts: first off, they are made beautifully- someone cares about the stitching, the shell buttons-- and for once the damn collar rolls!!! The fabrics are either great workhorse oxford cloths or nice day-to-day pinpoints (*my favorites...though I don't own any broadcloths.) Though they do offer Made to Measure and 300 count shirts, the great thing about the shirts at Kamakura is that they are your everyday shirt- but done with old fashioned care and style and workmanship. All somehow in a shirt that is under $80!! (PS- Their knit oxford pique shirt is one of the most comfortable things I own and no one has yet guessed it isn't cloth.)

But- and here's my point if anyone is still reading- Kamakura is doing well not only because their product is good. It's because they re-embody a lot of the ideals that started the popularity of the button down in the first place. They haven't just "Frankenstein-ed" the best parts of historically great shirts together (the way most other makers have done). Instead,they've made shirts that have an IDENTITY ALL THEIR OWN. They have re-imagined the traditional American button down and come up with THEIR version; somewhat slimmer, more precise, neat without being fashion-y and topped it off with a grand collar that frames the neck and face.

So why am I posting this long speech? I'm selfish. I want to buy shirts from this place for a long, long time. I want them to do well so they'll have more patterns available and bring in the jackets and other products I see they sell in their Japanese stores. Also, when is the last time you went into a tiny store in Manhattan and had the sales people offer you Japanese desserts, iced water or ran to hold the door as you left?

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
been meaning to try them out for a while. great write up tegs, you may have pushed me over the edge. :)

Verniza

Reaction score
Looks good but the sizing guide is a whole new ball game.

Will probably wait for more information and reviews on sizing.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i wanna stop by in person and try stuff on. does not look like my size is available online for the shirts i liked, anyways

Louys

Reaction score

Looks good but the sizing guide is a whole new ball game.

Will probably wait for more information and reviews on sizing.

I thought so too, but I took a plunge and got lucky, the 15 32-1/3 in the Tokyo Slim Fit was perfect. For reference I also wear a Brooks Brothers Extra Slim Fit in small. The quality of Kamakura is superior, the roll is worthy of some good hype, but most important for slim guys the TSF arm hole and waist size are better proportioned to someone with an already narrow frame.

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I've noticed that Kamakura shirts have less material in the front on the shirt, and are very roomy in the back. Does anyone else notice this?

That extra width in back is what gives you the ability to reach fore ward without restriction.

Last edited:

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

That extra width in back is what gives you the ability to reach fore ward without restricting.

I mean more so than my Barba shirts and Mastai Ferretti shirts. I don't know if it's a Kamakura quirk

Last edited:

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I mean more so than my Barba shirts and Mastai Ferretti shirts. I don't know if it's a Kamakura quirk

Its just their way of avoiding problems since their shirts are well fitted.

Fred G. Unn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Had 2 shirts arrive today. Wow! They pattern matched the sleeve to the shoulder on a thin "London stripe." Honestly the only shirt maker I've seen pattern match for under $100 is Hilditch and Key for 55 GBP during their July and Dec sales. I think I have a new favorite sub-$100 shirt maker.

TonioKroger

Reaction score
That is why the fronts look so good and yet, you are still able to put your hand over your head!

TonioKroger

Reaction score
Reason #259 why I like Kamakura shirts:

They are cut in such a way that when you wear them you actually look like one of those trim, boldly drawn advertising images from the 60's.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads