1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

StyleForum Visits Kamakura

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Teger, Sep 25, 2013.

Tags:
  1. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

i wanna stop by in person and try stuff on. does not look like my size is available online for the shirts i liked, anyways

2. Louys

Louys Senior member

I thought so too, but I took a plunge and got lucky, the 15 32-1/3 in the Tokyo Slim Fit was perfect. For reference I also wear a Brooks Brothers Extra Slim Fit in small. The quality of Kamakura is superior, the roll is worthy of some good hype, but most important for slim guys the TSF arm hole and waist size are better proportioned to someone with an already narrow frame.

3. a tailor

a tailor Senior member Dubiously Honored

That extra width in back is what gives you the ability to reach fore ward without restriction.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2013
  4. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

I mean more so than my Barba shirts and Mastai Ferretti shirts. I don't know if it's a Kamakura quirk

Last edited: Oct 1, 2013
  5. a tailor

a tailor Senior member Dubiously Honored

Its just their way of avoiding problems since their shirts are well fitted.

6. Fred G. Unn

Fred G. Unn Senior member

Had 2 shirts arrive today. Wow! They pattern matched the sleeve to the shoulder on a thin "London stripe." Honestly the only shirt maker I've seen pattern match for under $100 is Hilditch and Key for 55 GBP during their July and Dec sales. I think I have a new favorite sub-$100 shirt maker.

7. TonioKroger

TonioKroger Well-Known Member

That is why the fronts look so good and yet, you are still able to put your hand over your head!

8. Winston S.

Winston S. Senior member

Great article. The only thing I would change is that most New Yorkers, don't consider the 40s to be Upper East Side. Mid 40s is Midtown East to me.

1 person likes this.
  9. TonioKroger

Reason #259 why I like Kamakura shirts:

They are cut in such a way that when you wear them you actually look like one of those trim, boldly drawn advertising images from the 60's.

2 people like this.
  10. TonioKroger

Reason #4567 why I like Kamakura shirts:

MTM

11. blacksamurai30

blacksamurai30 Well-Known Member

Just ordered the Vintage Ivy in both colors. Thanks for the write up, you're making me want my order to arrive even quicker. Does anyone have any experience on how much tailoring these shirts need? I'm a 39 chest, 34.5 sleeve and 18.5 shoulders. I picked up the VIs in Medium but it seems the sizing is a little wonky

12. TonioKroger

They might be fine----hard to tell...

13. aget19

aget19 Member

I recently took the plunge and bought a couple online. One in the Tokyo classic and one in the new york classic fit.

Being an Australian I can't exactly head down the road to NYC or Japan to find these. I'm hoping the sizing is ok. If it is I expect to order a whole lot more of these shirts. I have heard nothing but great things so far. This forum included.

14. FlyingMonkey

FlyingMonkey Senior member

Having now bought two of their shirts, I'm now less enamoured of Kamakura than I was. The shirts were supposedly exactly the same size and fit, but the second one was markedly tighter making it right of the edge of wearability. I wouldn't have expected this from an RTW maker with a good reputation; I wonder whether they are expanding beyond their ability to control quality...

15. garyclark

garyclark Active Member

I was skeptical about the fit, as I'm not a super-slim guy. And I assumed these would be the shirt version of skinny jeans. But they're not. They fit true to size. I'm a 16.5, 35, and they fit like a glove, but give room for motion. Frankly, I look better in these shirts than anything else I own. The lack of billowing is so good, it's almost off-putting at first. And the fabric and stitching AND COLLAR are much more than I expected at this price point.

If you're in NYC, go the shop. Great customer service. I got a free handkerchief and a nice little fabric book that turns into a tea towel. But I'd feel pretty confident ordering online as well.