• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Styleforum User reports and questions on technical issues

Henry S

Reaction score
The thread gallery appears only for logged in users.
Intentional to deal with scraper bots?

Unable to click on the images from the thread gallery preview. To access them, I have to click on View Full Gallery. They open as a resource (like "open image in new tab"), and you can't view the post.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just some feedback...
Not a fan of the "similar threads".
It makes it a longer scroll to reach the new posts button.
And yesterday I clicked on a gummy spam ad to report it, and it listed "similar ads" for it. Which were just regular threads.
I don't see the value in this.
It’s a feature that allows people to discover new threads. We are refining this as we speak.

Ac quick tip. The lightening bolt icon will take you directly to new threads!

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The thread gallery appears only for logged in users.
Intentional to deal with scraper bots?

Unable to click on the images from the thread gallery preview. To access them, I have to click on View Full Gallery. They open as a resource (like "open image in new tab"), and you can't view the post.
No, I'm not sure why that's happening. Thanks. @admin

mhip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It’s a feature that allows people to discover new threads. We are refining this as we speak.

Ac quick tip. The lightening bolt icon will take you directly to new threads!
ahhhhh, up in the tool bar.
That'll work...

Henry S

Reaction score
Every once in awhile I'm getting:
Web server is returning an unknown error Error code 520
Visit cloudflare.com for more information.

admin

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
Every once in awhile I'm getting:
Web server is returning an unknown error Error code 520
Visit cloudflare.com for more information.
We're working on tracking this down. You're not the only one who has seen it. If you are able, please note the date/time/page you were on when it happened, and PM me and @LA Guy . Thanks.

Cause Moe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I miss the "preview" button when posting. Now I just get the "Post reply" button, but no preview.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I miss the "preview" button when posting. Now I just get the "Post reply" button, but no preview.
Hover over the far top right icon in the options bar above the reply box. That's ther preview button, and will toggle you between preview and edit. Very elegant solution imho.

Cause Moe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
OK, thanks. I disagree that this is an "elegant solution". Imho.

Was the "preview" button a problem that required a solution? I can't think why any effort was spent on "solving" such a non-problem. And I even more strongly disagree that the "solution" is "elegant" . Hiding a function and requiring the user to mouse-over the appropriate icon to discover its function violates multiple principles of GUI usability; it would have been shot down in the requirements review stage when I was designing GUI software. The icon shows a magnifying glass, which is universally taken to mean "search," so why would a user even think to move the mouse there if they didn't want to search? The "preview" function is effectively hidden from the user. There is no clue to a new user that the function even exists, and the chosen icon doesn't hint at the function's existence.

Based on my experience in GUI design, this is not an improvement; it is clearly a decrease in basic usability, especially to new users that may have no reason to think such a function exists.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OK, thanks. I disagree that this is an "elegant solution". Imho.

Was the "preview" button a problem that required a solution? I can't think why any effort was spent on "solving" such a non-problem. And I even more strongly disagree that the "solution" is "elegant" . Hiding a function and requiring the user to mouse-over the appropriate icon to discover its function violates multiple principles of GUI usability; it would have been shot down in the requirements review stage when I was designing GUI software. The icon shows a magnifying glass, which is universally taken to mean "search," so why would a user even think to move the mouse there if they didn't want to search? The "preview" function is effectively hidden from the user. There is no clue to a new user that the function even exists, and the chosen icon doesn't hint at the function's existence.

Based on my experience in GUI design, this is not an improvement; it is clearly a decrease in basic usability, especially to new users that may have no reason to think such a function exists.
It's just a standard package used across many platforms. But you go off, king,

Egdon Heath

Reaction score
While the magnifying glass is the universal icon for Search, apparently when the magnifying glass appears on what looks like a dog-eared sheet of paper, this new icon means Preview. I just tried it, it's great. Instead of a whole new copy of the post appearing as a finished preview below the creation box, it instantly switches the creation box to the finished product, and back when you hit it again. Cool.

However I would not have known about this had I not read the post couplet just above. Anyway to inform the masses?

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
While the magnifying glass is the universal icon for Search, apparently when the magnifying glass appears on what looks like a dog-eared sheet of paper, this new icon means Preview. I just tried it, it's great. Instead of a whole new copy of the post appearing as a finished preview below the creation box, it instantly switches the creation box to the finished product, and back when you hit it again. Cool.

However I would not have known about this had I not read the post couplet just above. Anyway to inform the masses?
Thanks. Unfortunately, I don’t think that there is. The good thing about our text editor is that a poster can do a lot of formatting. However, “read the manual” is a huge lift in 2023, when engagements on most platforms are streamlined to the bare minimum, and you can actually do very little outside following a single road. Forums, on the other hand, have orders of magnitude more functionality, but a user will typically use by little of that. That editor has all of the functionality of a small word processor. I suppose that I could post the entire manual for the text editor somewhere, but just having the scrollover is more discoverable.

These are things that I’ve thought about in some detail, but I’m happy to listen to constructive suggestions. That said, please understand that our abilities are constrained by the architecture of the platform software.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Staff online

Forum statistics