• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Styleforum User reports and questions on technical issues

Mr. Six

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We're taking a look. Since we are a small team without a team of engineers, we were not able to test the system on a comprehensive set of devices and OSs. I sometimes get what you get , and sometimes get this:

View attachment 1303288
We are trying to figure out why that is right now. Thanks for bearing with us, and sorry for the inconvenience as we work through this.
I know you and the team are doing your best. Sorry if my tone was ******. It’s at most an a minor annoyance. Putting chat in its own area and not persistent would be preferable, though. The screen shots are on an iPhone X using iOS 13.2.x.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know you and the team are doing your best. Sorry if my tone was ******. It’s at most an a minor annoyance. Putting chat in its own area and not persistent would be preferable, though. The screen shots are on an iPhone X using iOS 13.2.x.
No worries, and we'll get cracking on this. Thanks for helping us find the glitches.

Cheers,

Fok.

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I gotta say that chat bar on mobile is really irritating.
I found this remark from the dev

Regarding the k*to spammage.
I usually try to take a few minutes to despaminate it first thing in the morning and lunch (pacific time zone) and maybe around dinner. Plus throughout the day depending upon how many telecons I can half listening to. I usually search for a few key words and for http in the title.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I gotta say that chat bar on mobile is really irritating.
I found this remark from the dev

Regarding the k*to spammage.
I usually try to take a few minutes to despaminate it first thing in the morning and lunch (pacific time zone) and maybe around dinner. Plus throughout the day depending upon how many telecons I can half listening to. I usually search for a few key words and for http in the title.
Unfortunately, we can’t have different setups for mobile and for desktop, which would have been ideal. We have contacted the developer about it though.

Also, the permissions cannot be decoupled (we checked) and the way the design has been implemented, giving every registered all the permissions would definitely confuse pretty much everyone, since the design does not account for this. For example, chat, when disabled, must be reenabled from the footer, which no one will ever find on mobile because the fraction of people who scroll down that far is basically zero. Not to mention how all the other buttons, which people would invariably touch, would wreak havoc with millions of permutations on the UI, since we’ve not designed for those options at all.

We have already asked the developer about custom work to decouple permissions so that people can choose to disable and re-enable chat without all the other options, and then will work with the designer and probably also the developer to allow an intuitive way to re-enable the functionality. However, this may or may not be accomplishable, and definitely not for a bit. It took about a month to get chat working as we have it now.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I should also hasten to say that while chat works pretty much as expected, my original wireframe looked more like FB messenger, though with some big differences in mobile because we don't have an app (we tried with a few companies, but always with terrible results).

We did look at the "page" option, but that navigates a member away from the on which they were, which is just confusing. No other chat function associated with a content site works that way. On desktop, it's better to be able to scroll through content and chat at the same time. On mobile, ideally, we would have looked like Facebook and Facebook messenger. However, since neither the platform nor our chat are apps, that exact configuration would have been impossible. The best that we could hope for was to have the chat go over the page, and be minimizable, the way it is now. What we hope to be able to do is to have chat be different in mobile and on desktop, so that on mobile, the bar goes away, but is instead simply navigable via an ixon in the nav bar, like Alerts right now (and that would also be available on desktop, not necessarily in lieu of the bar). However, at this point, it's not possible without custom development.

Our priorities are:
1) Get the bugs and overlooked design (extra padding on menus so that there is no overlap. etc...) fixed
2) Make the design more attractive and unobtrusive.
3) Have custom development alongside design changes to make our platform look and feel more like the original wireframe.

Of course, the last will take some time and money, and an immediate fix can't be reasonably expected nor promised.

Cheers,

Fok.

woofmang

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sure thing:

Just looking:

View attachment 1303342

While replying:

View attachment 1303344

If I try to click the "Post reply" or "Preview" buttons while the screen is in the position above, I get an overlay that takes up the whole screen:

View attachment 1303347

And the only way I could see to clear it was to use the backspace button, which took me out of the thread I was viewing at the time. (I know now that I can scroll past the point where the overlay interferes with the post reply and preview buttons and they work as usual, I just wish I didn't have to).

Thanks.
To follow up on this: whatever you guys have done over the past couple of days has eliminated this issue on my phone. I noticed last night that I no longer have a chat button overlay anywhere on the site when using my phone. Thanks!

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
To follow up on this: whatever you guys have done over the past couple of days has eliminated this issue on my phone. I noticed last night that I no longer have a chat button overlay anywhere on the site when using my phone. Thanks!
Instead, there is now a discrete chat icon in the top nav bar! We are working on functionality (like getting it to change color and show when you have unread chats), but this is much closer to what I had in mind from the onset. It's a process! Thanks for bearing with us.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The chat thing seems much better altogether now (other than not notifying, but maybe that's OK when it is just ed sending pictures of his dick).

admin

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
The chat thing seems much better altogether now (other than not notifying, but maybe that's OK when it is just ed sending pictures of his dick).

Yep, Chats can now be accessed via the top navbar, but we're waiting on a fix for notifications. Ha, I didn't see Fok's message above saying the same thing.

woofmang

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Instead, there is now a discrete chat icon in the top nav bar! We are working on functionality (like getting it to change color and show when you have unread chats), but this is much closer to what I had in mind from the onset. It's a process! Thanks for bearing with us.
Appreciate your efforts on this. The mobile experience is greatly improved.

jcman311

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can we block chat for specific users? I guess what I’m asking is can we just block edina from chatting altogether? TIA!

Rugger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
im sure it's been said before but the search is jacked up. Searching by title returns titles with out the keywords searched

admin

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
im sure it's been said before but the search is jacked up. Searching by title returns titles with out the keywords searched
Can you give me an example search? If it’s indeed screwed up I can rebuild the index.

Rugger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
searched "tailoring" by threads and this forum, got lots of results with tailoring in the title, lots of results without

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads