• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Styleforum User reports and questions on technical issues

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm waiting for more B&S questions honestly, it looks like all of the old posts have been locked/archived.
All the old B&S posts have been archived. This was announced in the journal and the newsletter and in a site wide notification as well.

In the new system, you create a new listing. There is no "bumping", per se. However, every time you create a listing, you also create a discussion thread for that listing in one of these forums: http://www.styleforum.net/forums/#buying-and-selling.6654

The threads on those forums bump automatically. However, members cannot post a thread directly to those forums without creating a B&S listing. We are trying to allow different members different ways to navigate a B&S system. This system allows people to browse and pay for items is a visually compelling system (well, or will, once the devs who produced that little piece of software make entering a "cover image" a part of the field driven system - it was part of an older iteration of the add-on, but they saw fit to get rid of it...), but also discuss them in an open forum discussion for those who prefer that.

For from perfect yet, but we are working our asses off on this. Our immediate goals are to fix things like the broken images, and whatever is going on with the B&S system (please read the stickied note or the explanation above on how to make things work).\

Cheers,

Fok.

Leaves

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Cheers Fok. I think we're all anxious to get the pics up. My introduction to SF was actually by looking for pics on some shoes and noticed a lot of the nice ones originated from SF. So it (probably) drives a lot of traffic.

JubeiSpiegel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
HELP - I am "dazed and confused"...How can one update Item threads in B&S (price drops etc)?..

This might mean two different scenarios, depending on whether you are referring to an older preexisting B&S post or a newly added resource under the new system.

As LA Guy pointed out, all older B&S threads have been archived, so there might be no way to update/bump those anymore. You might have to make a new resource from scratch.

On resources, as long as you are on the "Overview" tab (since all resources are split into posting vs thread of said posting, as LA Guy said) there should be the usual "edit" option at the bottom left of the resource post. Or you can use the "Resource Tools" menu on the same page, using "Edit Resource". If you need to bump, this has been replaced with the "Post Resource Update" option, either on the top right of the resource page, or as part of the "Resource Tools" menu. It will ask you for a reason for your bump, which will also send an alert to anyone watching the resource. I'm not sure if there will be a limitation of once a week like in the old system, but maybe LA Guy can let us know for sure.

JubeiSpiegel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
All the old B&S posts have been archived. This was announced in the journal and the newsletter and in a site wide notification as well.

In the new system, you create a new listing. There is no "bumping", per se. However, every time you create a listing, you also create a discussion thread for that listing in one of these forums: http://www.styleforum.net/forums/#buying-and-selling.6654

The threads on those forums bump automatically. However, members cannot post a thread directly to those forums without creating a B&S listing. We are trying to allow different members different ways to navigate a B&S system. This system allows people to browse and pay for items is a visually compelling system (well, or will, once the devs who produced that little piece of software make entering a "cover image" a part of the field driven system - it was part of an older iteration of the add-on, but they saw fit to get rid of it...), but also discuss them in an open forum discussion for those who prefer that.

For from perfect yet, but we are working our asses off on this. Our immediate goals are to fix things like the broken images, and whatever is going on with the B&S system (please read the stickied note or the explanation above on how to make things work).\

Cheers,

Fok.

Thanks for the clarification, and for making the stickie on the B&S issues. I was pretty pleased with myself when I figured out the "cover image" dilemma.

Please feel free to correct any info we might be giving others in this thread.

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Sent an email to support but thought I would post here too.

1. How do I upload multiple pictures in the same post (without checking one by one) from mobile? Right now you can only do one at a time.

2. Are the custom titles / affiliate vendor tags coming back?

3. I have 7500 PMs that are showing unread. No way am I going page by page to check all - how do you mark all as read?

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
A few constructive comments with Photoshopped screenshots to illustrate what I mean. These all relate to the B&S

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1). In the old forum, discussion comments were displayed below the original post. This maximized interactivity between the buyer and seller in a public setting. It made things very "conversational." That was a strong suit of the old B&S.

Could you modify the Javascript (or whatever language this is) to provide a copy of the "discussion" below the "overview." I don't think having people click over to "Discussion" is going to be a streamlined process. It's one other unnecessary button to click.

6O78Sd.jpg

2). There's no category for "Suits" in the B&S. Arguably the most important article in Classic Menswear... it should definitely have it's own category

g5LuyV.jpg

3). Where are "Terms" and the external URL's below supposed to show up in a listing?

EVOfMK.jpg

4). As others have commented, there are broken image links when browsing through the items in the B&S.

Jubei posted a tutorial on how to get your picture up properly, but that seems like it's a lot of steps. When new people come to the forum, you can't expect them to figure that out quickly. Lots more broken image links will materialize over time. I trust this is a high priority fix

Last edited:

JubeiSpiegel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey Spoo, I was using my laptop yesterday to upload images to B&S, and it too had a single image at a time upload. Maybe that is a feature they can adjust now, or deploy in the near future.

I am quoting flyinny521's post, it looks like he was successful by simply clicking "mark as read". Admittedly, I'm not sure where exactly to access that button. Maybe he can chime back in?

The same can be accomplished by selecting "mark as read" as well, which will leave the conversation in your inbox for future reference.

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Would it be useful to have a separate thread that deals with problems with using Classic Menswear posts and threads?

As a Forum admin and webmaster myself, I know these upgrades can be very difficult...makes me wonder why any upgrade is ever attractive esp. when a forum is running smoothly as is...and it is certainly tempting to release a new interface before it is ready (is that the case here?). But it also makes me wonder if user input would be welcome?

Would a list of problems seen from this end help?

JubeiSpiegel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Would it be useful to have a separate thread that deals with problems with using Classic Menswear posts and threads?

As a Forum admin and webmaster myself, I know these upgrades can be very difficult...makes me wonder why any upgrade is ever attractive esp. when a forum is running smoothly as is...and it is certainly tempting to release a new interface before it is ready (is that the case here?). But it also makes me wonder if user input would be welcome?

Would a list of problems seen from this end help?

As someone that beta tests UI's as part of my job function, I have noticed that you can't simply rely on designers/programmers to work out the UI logic. Their minds just don't think the same way a typical user would when navigating/using said UI.

IMO, best case scenario consists of looking at the end user as the customer, and the UI as the product. If I'm testing something that is tedious and buggy to use (not saying the new SF is), I know as a customer I would not buy this, and give my feedback as such.

I think the new SF definitely gives a lot more options and nuances than the previous website. SF just need to figure out a way to put them together in a more practical way, that does not require the user to master the UI, but certainly increases their enjoyment of SF if they do.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cheers Fok. I think we're all anxious to get the pics up. My introduction to SF was actually by looking for pics on some shoes and noticed a lot of the nice ones originated from SF. So it (probably) drives a lot of traffic.
Absolutely. We've been querying our server and trying to match that with what Wikia said they gave us. We are still uncertain as to where exactly the issue lies, but it's our number one concern.

Cheers,

Fok.

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
As someone that beta tests UI's as part of my job function, I have noticed that you can't simply rely on designers/programmers to work out the UI logic. Their minds just don't think the same way a typical user would when navigating/using said UI.

IMO, best case scenario consists of looking at the end user as the customer, and the UI as the product. If I'm testing something that is tedious and buggy to use (not saying the new SF is), I know as a customer I would not buy this, and give my feedback as such.

I think the new SF definitely gives a lot more options and nuances than the previous website. SF just need to figure out a way to put them together in a more practical way, that does not require the user to master the UI, but certainly increases their enjoyment of SF if they do.

It's disturbing when useful functions go away, however. Just for example, while logged into this thread I discovered my avatar wasn't displaying properly so I proceeded to try to fix it (problems there too but...).

While I was doing that, you posted a reply.

Now with the old interface, I would have seen a notice right there at the bottom of the thread that there was a new reply. Not so at this point.

Another small, perhaps insignificant "loss": With the old interface you could mouse over the last post listing for a thread and get a truncated version of the text in that post. Gone...rest in peace.

As I said, I've seen this so many times when Forum software is upgraded--it's always a witch hunt. And it seems that no matter how powerful or feature friendly...no matter how much is gained from Admin's POV...enough things are lost that the whole Forum seems unfamiliar and clumsy. Even if it's not.

Still wondering if Admin would welcome user input on what we are seeing from this end. Might get repetitive and even endless but another set of eyes?

Last edited:

ACluelessGent

Reaction score
Just wondering, anyone noticed any advantage in the new platform? What was the reason for the change?

flvinny521

Reaction score
I am quoting flyinny521's post, it looks like he was successful by simply clicking "mark as read". Admittedly, I'm not sure where exactly to access that button. Maybe he can chime back in?

@SpooPoker

Unfortunately, I have only found a way to do a page at a time, and it seems like the default view is 20 "conversations" per page. I don't see how to increase this.

But, to mark multiple conversations as read, simply check the box next to any message, tick the box that pops up to "Select All," and then choose "Mark as Read" from the drop-down box. No need to click "Go" afterwards.

JubeiSpiegel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not sure if I;m doing it wrong but cant get anything to post to the new B&S to test it out. Tired a couple times with all errors

error-jpg.133341

Try posting a resource without images first, to rule out whether it's an upload pic issue, or a server issue.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads