Styleforum Success Stories

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by APK, Dec 27, 2010.

1. thekunk07

thekunk07 Senior member

um, look at the before and after. it's like they changed their style entirely in some cases.

A valid perspective, I guess.

But to dismiss the value of advice seems silly. A lot of people here have their own styles, just needed a little guidance to find the pieces & put them together cohesively

2. shoreman1782

shoreman1782 Senior member

yes, exactly. you should have the personal style of skippy from family ties and then let the fashion geniuses here dress you up in their love, in their love...

What if my personal style is closer to Alex P. Keaton? Wait a minute, APK = Alex P. Keaton?!

3. thekunk07

thekunk07 Senior member

^things that make you go hmmm...

4. cez

cez Senior member

i post for shits and giggles, not advice. it's fucking retarded to go to a forum to learn how to dress. that's not your personal style you're wearing everyone else's collective style and opinions. it's sad really.
    i completely agree with Kunk, though it is good to see the transformations. I already had a sense of what i liked and didn't like (by way of other forums) prior to becoming active on SF, but we all had to start somewhere. Maybe Kunk is the exception. i mean look at his avatar, he was killing back then. However, some of us have more embarrassing origins than others. i personally went from wearing boot cuts, polo shirts, and trainers (pre-SF) to tapered skinny jeans, boots, and more fitted tops.

5. Cool The Kid

Cool The Kid Senior member

um, look at the before and after. it's like they changed their style entirely in some cases.
    A few of them had no style before Plus its difficult to find quality clothing in the mall

6. Nil

Nil Senior member

Kunk, I think you're spoiled by residing in NY. For those of us who don't live in one of those major fashion cities, it's hard to find out what's available without the internet. If I didn't have it, I'd be stuck thinking J.crew was the hottest shit on the block without a clue that something better existed. Yeah, I could (and do) travel to NY once or twice a year but a few hours on a weekend isn't the same as living in that are and seeing it day in and day out.

7. bows1

bows1 Senior member

Kunk, I think you're spoiled by residing in NY. For those of us who don't live in one of those major fashion cities, it's hard to find out what's available without the internet. If I didn't have it, I'd be stuck thinking J.crew was the hottest shit on the block without a clue that something better existed. Yeah, I could (and do) travel to NY once or twice a year but a few hours on a weekend isn't the same as living in that are and seeing it day in and day out.

Same here. I grew up in rural kentucky where I hadn't even heard of J-Crew until I went to college, and I thought that and A&F was hot shit and the most expensive shit ever. Thanks to this forum and others I learned a lot more about fashion and clothing that I had never know before.

8. Prada_Ferragamo

Prada_Ferragamo Senior member

I agree with this. I'll still be wearing abercrombie and hollister if I didn't know about SF, SZ, SUFU. [​IMG]

9. ataboada

ataboada Active Member

+1 to the Awesome Thread praises.

I've never posted on WAYWT threads, but now I feel like doing so. It is now part of my improved life resolutions, since I feel I've recently been in a ditch.

BTW, for how long did you guys endure bashing in order to learn to improve?

10. thekunk07

thekunk07 Senior member

i hear ya. when i was in hs, i wore gap and some other stuff but always wore a lot of goth-type stuff and militaria so the brands i like now are a natural extension of what i wore then.

11. shoreman1782

shoreman1782 Senior member

Should be noted that most of these guys did not necessarily take verbatim advice from WAYWT critiques, other than maybe "That's not working for you" for their initial posts. They're SF success stories in that the boards/internet may have given them broader awareness of clothing and aesthetics, and now they (arguably) look better.

Not that APK posted this thread saying "Look what happens when you listen to styleforum," but just in case anyone inferred that.

12. DLester

DLester Senior member

same here, basically.

excellent thread.

13. snake

snake Senior member

Love the commentary, APK.

Looking forward to Volume III

14. Nil

Nil Senior member

Not that APK posted this thread saying "Look what happens when you listen to styleforum," but just in case anyone inferred that.
    I think this thread shows that listening to styleforum groupthink without stopping to consider your own personal style would lead you exactly nowhere. Snake's initial tragic fit is a great example of that. Dude saw that W+H was getting lots of love and bought that terribad jacket. Now I'm not certain, but I doubt there was consensus here that he needed to go goth ninjaed out in Julius and DBSS, he certainly found that it worked for him on his own.

15. jet

jet Persian Bro

lol you guys got trolled and a perfectly good thread ruined but it will continue