• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

styleforum members should get discounts

gian

Reaction score
RANDOM THOUGHT:

Style forum has about half a million members or something like that, and we buy an enormous amount of clothing as a group.

We should be able to negotiate with online stores and our personal tailors or anywhere else we buy clothes for discounts for styleforum members. We could bring in a lot of business for them.

What do you think?

Would we be able to list the stores/places we already receive discounts on?

Sander

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You do are aware that SF members already get discounts from various online stores (see above)?
Besides, discounts as a large group usually just work if you take one specific item in great quantities - how would that work for half a million SF members (of which just a fraction is active) with greatly different body shapes, needs and financial powers? Apart from that they live all over the world?
So in short I'd say no, it won't work.

bbaquiran

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sander
You do are aware that SF members already get discounts from various online stores (see above)?

What he said.

Golf_Nerd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gian
RANDOM THOUGHT:

Style forum has about half a million members or something like that, and we buy an enormous amount of clothing as a group.

We should be able to negotiate with online stores and our personal tailors or anywhere else we buy clothes for discounts for styleforum members. We could bring in a lot of business for them.

What do you think?

Would we be able to list the stores/places we already receive discounts on?

This is really random. Or you are a controller in a big company (they work this way and kill little companÃes with this kind of random thoughts).

My tailors needs two weeks for alterations because of too much work. Should I tell him that I am at style forum and because of that he has to reduce the price (from 1200 to 1199?)?

IMO this is a thought to your own profit. So it tends from style (which includes character to pay the price) to mainstream (catching all cheap). Stop buying so much crap, work to get money to spent and be proud to pay the bills.

Next time you come up with an idea make sure that there is profit for both sides.

gian

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Golf_Nerd

IMO this is a thought to your own profit. So it tends from style (which includes character to pay the price) to mainstream (catching all cheap). Stop buying so much crap, work to get money to spent and be proud to pay the bills.

Next time you come up with an idea make sure that there is profit for both sides.

IMO style is about how you wear the clothes, if you can get it cheaper then why not...

i personally don't have a large amount of disposable income as i am a student.. maybe you do, and i'm sorry to be beneath you in that respect, please don't mind us little people

oh and i think you missed the point, small businesses are trying to build a bigger customer base, more customers, more profit. therefore both sides profit. You're thinking of your tailor, that's fine he's busy, but what if i was a tailor with hardly any business, not much money for advertising and i do a really good job, would it not benefit me to cut my overheads by a quarter and get 10 customers, or have 1 customer that pays full price?

anyway it was just a thought.

onion

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's not a discount per se, but there are already a few online forums that I know of that buy items in bulk directly from the distributor (for example, bicycles). It cuts out the middleman, and generally saves a lot of money, but it also requires a group of people who all want the exact same item. I'm not exactly sure how this could be applied to SF/clothing, but perhaps it could work....

EdenResident

Reaction score
There's no sense in giving bulk order discount to items totally different in shape, color and size. Your logic doesn't make sense. It's like saying "well, New Yorkers buy shitload of clothes. They should get more discount than people from other states."

CTGuy

Made Guy
Reaction score
I think most of our affiliates grant us pretty generous discounts. Plus the number of small businessmen like Ron Rider, FIHTies, and Mauro granting generous discounts is pretty high. I think the main thing is that a large retailer like Brooks Brothers or Saks or something isn't interested in the small group at SF, but smaller niche businesses really have a good symbiotic relationship with SF.

VKK3450

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well there are only about 24,000 members, and most will be inactive with only a couple of posts to their name.

That said, as others have already mentioned, affiliates already offer SF discounts and also kick something back to the forum.

I think that those that say there is no sense in offering discounts for different shape / size / colour items are a bit shortsighted. A small discount on the product range along with valuable posting contributions to the board can result not only in more total profit, but also in a loyal customer group which is very invested in the products and will spread your word. It can also be a component to getting valuable feedback which you can use to make your products / service better.

Look at Mauro. Its not like he just offers a discount and thats it. Its a part of his overall participation in this community, and there are more than enough people who slob all over his knob for it.

K

Golf_Nerd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gian
IMO style is about how you wear the clothes, if you can get it cheaper then why not...

i personally don't have a large amount of disposable income as i am a student.. maybe you do, and i'm sorry to be beneath you in that respect, please don't mind us little people

oh and i think you missed the point, small businesses are trying to build a bigger customer base, more customers, more profit.

anyway it was just a thought.

Sorry for being that rude. But in germany it is a general trend and I am fed up with it. People implicate that everything has to be reduced. Finally they buy because of the price, not of any need.

A friend of mine, Oscar Wilde, said 'in these days everybody knows the price. But nobody knows what's worth it'. This was in the year 1900 and obviosly nothing has changed!

Another point: '.. then why not ...' means there is no reason to do it. If there is a reason it would be named!

Another point: My tailor do not need more work or costumers. What he needs is one week off and costumers which don't complain about prices all the time.

Another point is: Everybody has a limited amount of money. So what?

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
The thought of people later on joining SF just to get the discounts is a turn off for me.

babygreenspots

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by acidicboy
The thought of people later on joining SF just to get the discounts is a turn off for me.

That's a good point.

On the other hand, I've never quite bought into the notion that Styleforum doesn't matter to big producers or to fashion trends. Practically every American I meet who is into men's clothing has been to this forum and used it as some kind of guide. These may not be actualy members. Certain big brands are getting a boost as are fashions. The impact of this type of forum on educating younger consumers about brands cannot be underestimated. It is natural that somebody would think that there should be some kind of payback.

That said, perhaps it also educates people to be even better bargain hunters, which may not be great for the brands. I don't know.

Golf_Nerd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by babygreenspots
That's a good point.

The impact of this type of forum on educating younger consumers about brands cannot be underestimated. It is natural that somebody would think that there should be some kind of payback.

I don't know.

OK, we give style advice to the entire world and C&J is sending me a pair of shoes a month. I think I can live with that!

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CTGuy
I think most of our affiliates grant us pretty generous discounts. Plus the number of small businessmen like Ron Rider, FIHTies, and Mauro granting generous discounts is pretty high. I think the main thing is that a large retailer like Brooks Brothers or Saks or something isn't interested in the small group at SF, but smaller niche businesses really have a good symbiotic relationship with SF.

Does Ron offer a discount on his boots? Sorry, I ran a few quick searches and didn't turn anything up.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads