StyleForum maps

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by tiger02, Mar 29, 2006.

1. VMan

VMan Senior member

I got Milwaukee...all 9 or 10 stores...[​IMG]

2. CaptChaos

CaptChaos Senior member

How about using a online tool like Frappr? I believe they created an application that uses Google Maps.

http://www.frappr.com/

We could keep two databases. One for StyleForum member locations and one for store locations.

3. j

j (stands for Jerk) Admin

How about using a online tool like Frappr? I believe they created an application that uses Google Maps.

http://www.frappr.com/

We could keep two databases. One for StyleForum member locations and one for store locations.

Frappr only goes as detailed as ZIP code, IIRC. Or at least, it didn't seem to pinpoint as closely as we would want.

I'll (help to) do Seattle if someone knows how to do this.

4. denning

denning Senior member

Not that it really matters, but I've got Victoria, BC and Winnipeg, Mb.

5. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

I've got Hong Kong and Hyderabad, India (if there's anything of note there, I'll find out soon.)

sarah, I get the feeling that your coloring will go good with black pearls. you are going to like hydrabad.

6. Duveen

Duveen Senior member

I just chatted to a coworker who said that Google Earth is not very useful @ the street level.

Has someone hacked Google Maps to do this? That is a nice interface and would be ideal (although I am not sure it would help with Paris...).

7. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

I'll pitch in where I can

8. Fabro

Fabro Senior member

9. aportnoy

aportnoy Senior member Dubiously Honored

10. bosthist

bosthist Active Member

I use wayfaring.com, and started a London map a couple of days ago that can be found here: http://www.wayfaring.com/maps/show/12001 You can search by address within the US, the world requires you know the location of the store and be able to find it on a google local map. A wayfaring map can be created in minutes. If you follow the link to the map I created, you can click on each of the points for more detail. You can also leave the map open for others to edit.

11. tiger02

tiger02 Militarist

A new service call Platial does exactly what we are looking for:

http://www.platial.com/

Wired news article describing it:
    http://www.wired.com/news/technology/0,70419-0.html

Taking a quick look through platial's offerings, it looks like it's a little bit easier to get the hang of but orders of magnitude less useful than google earth. Is there something I'm missing? Unless there are strong objections, I'm going to keep plugging on a way to do this with google earth.

12. Duveen

Duveen Senior member

Orders of magnitude less useful than google earth. Is there something I'm missing? Unless there are strong objections, I'm going to keep plugging on a way to do this with google earth.

Does Google Earth perform well at the street level?

That is the operative question. If yes, we should use it. If not, the combination of having to download the software to access and (possibly) not being able to have a live, multi-user modifiable map would both be negatives.

I like Wayfaring, from what I can see of it.

That said, if you can make it work I don't want to rain on yr parade!

13. j

j (stands for Jerk) Admin

Does Google Earth perform well at the street level?

That is the operative question. If yes, we should use it. If not, the combination of having to download the software to access and (possibly) not being able to have a live, multi-user modifiable map would both be negatives.

I like Wayfaring, from what I can see of it.

That said, if you can make it work I don't want to rain on yr parade!

Are Google Earth and Google Maps different? I have never downloaded Earth and I think Maps does well on a street level, plus it requires no download; however, I don't think that Maps will support making an overlay of any kind. However, you can plot points on it and make absolute links to the points, so we could have a page with lots of links that would go to a map. Somehow, I think you can also make a map with multiple points on it, but I haven't played with it much.

14. Jill

Jill Senior member

I have / use Google Earth from time to time, but don't really know what it is capable of.

In any case, we'll cover Dallas.

15. tiger02

tiger02 Militarist

OK, if there's anyone who wants to futz with me, here's what I've got so far. After racking my brain trying to figure out the complicated stuff, turns out creating a bunch of locations is really easy. Type in the address and fly to it. The address will appear in your queue, where you can edit it and save it to 'My Places.' Mac users will probably need to embrace the right-click for this to work. When you right click on the address and hit edit, you can play with the name and description. I'd recommend putting the name in the name and address and contact info in the description. If you then click 'advanced' you can change the default viewing angle and the icon. Handy for doing things like marking the location with the store's logo. Hit OK, and you've got your store. Make a folder called styleforum and add a few stores to begin with. Right click on the folder name and 'save as' styleforum.kmz and voila, a map file that can be viewed by anyone.

Now, the challenge is going to be keeping the file in a location that's accessible to everyone. Can this happen through the wiki? I've got a start with C21 and Saks in NYC but not sure where to go from there.

If this doesn't work, wayfaring seems to have a decent interface. There are just so many cool things that google earth can do that it seems worth figuring out how to use it.

Tom