• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

STYLEFORUM DOES JAPAN

nahneun

Uncle Nephew
Reaction score
yes, suntory does make yamazaki, but the distillery itself is osaka. the kyoto brewery is for the beers. i would not be surprised if they carried yamazaki there though.

planetarium

Reaction score
kapital shop in kyoto owns, but of course they all do
roppongi has kapital legs which is also cool
classic piece of denim/indigo nerd culture: the Evisu employees who will hand paint your jeans. each city has a special color of paint.

don't go to a maid cafe if you don't speak japanese

if you do speak japanese, either go to the one where they pretend to be your little sister welcoming you home from school or go to a tsundere bar so you can be yelled at and served the wrong thing, possibly forced to drink some weird mix of leftovers

nahneun

Uncle Nephew
Reaction score
are you ******* serious? there are little sister-themed and tsundere-themed maid cafes? really. wow.

#imouto for sure

Last edited:

Best Budz

Reaction score
The tour I went on in Kyoto only covered whiskey and their whiskey facilities and all the samples at the end were various whiskies. Just sayin'

notwithit

Pullup laureate
Reaction score

are you ******* serious? there are little sister-themed and tsundere-themed maid cafes? really. wow.

#imouto for sure

I've been to Tokyo. They sell little-girl underwear in the vending machines right on the main drag, the Ginza, or whatever. Guys in suits buying used girl panties. How is that okay? That's not okay.

planetarium

Reaction score
there's a maid cafe for everything, any kind of cosplay you want, surprisingly good portraits of you in ketchup on rice omelettes, servers in rabbit costumes who sing songs about the food from the perspective of rabbits, etc.

planetarium

Reaction score
i went to a beetle cafe but the beetles didn't serve me :(

i also hit up Rabbit and Grow Fat and the little cat cafe just across from it, but I wasn't able to make it to the penguin bar.

nahneun

Uncle Nephew
Reaction score

The pantie vending machine is less surprising to me

nicelynice

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There's no used to panty vending machines in Tokyo. In sex shops, there's novelty panty vending machines, but is that a big deal? There WERE some maybe 10 years ago in Akihabara, but that has long since been cracked down on. Anyways, tech is changing - now girls sell them directly over Twitter

HEY

So, I'm going to be in Tokyo along with Synthese. We're compiling a list of places we might go check out and write about––here are some preliminary ideas:

Come to my house for dinner :embar:

Last edited:

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote:
That was a thing, for a short period of time, quite a long time ago. I don't think that it's been allowed for quite a few years now. As with a lot of "OMG how funny/odd Japan is" stuff, it was blown out of proportion by foreign media.

penanceroyaltea

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
HEY

So, I'm going to be in Tokyo along with Synthese. We're compiling a list of places we might go check out and write about––here are some preliminary ideas:

Attachment flagship
Lift
Hanae Mori Building (mentioned here earlier I think)
Isetan Men
Visvim Indigo Camping Trailer
Dover Street Market

Lad Musician flagship
Kind (for all you rakuten junkies out there)

Where else do you want us to go? I'll do my best to drag Synth to a maid cafe.
CDG flagship! (Junya is there too)

notwithit

Pullup laureate
Reaction score

The pantie vending machine is less surprising to me

There's no used to panty vending machines in Tokyo. In sex shops, there's novelty panty vending machines, but is that a big deal? There WERE some maybe 10 years ago in Akihabara, but that has long since been cracked down on. Anyways, tech is changing - now girls sell them directly over Twitter
Come to my house for dinner :embar:

That was a thing, for a short period of time, quite a long time ago. I don't think that it's been allowed for quite a few years now. As with a lot of "OMG how funny/odd Japan is" stuff, it was blown out of proportion by foreign media. 

It's a quote from The Informant! starring Matt Damon.

Mesta

Reaction score
Such a great news Synthese!

I don't know if there any ways I can help. I have a doc with a LOT of japanese brands (over 100) that I saved over the years of my Japan obsession.

What I would love to see are capsules about craftmanship and japanese culture about dressing and creating clothes.

As soon as I'm there (late this year or early next year), I'll try to create way more content about japan fashion. I have a project of calatoging subcultures: fashion mixed with arts. But my pen skills are lacking ;)

CDG flagship! (Junya is there too)

I'd add the UC store in Aoyama with all the music covers on their walls.

Last edited:

TheObserver

Reaction score
0.jpg

Quote:
This is bizarre. Probably just a difference in cultrure.

Lionheart Biker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Julius and Devoa store would be cool to see, if you have the time.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads