• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Styleforum Blog: A visit to Cilento, Naples.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
by Derek Guy

Cilento is the oldest men’s store in Naples, possibly even all of Italy. Like many good things in Naples, it’s not something you’d easily come across unless you knew what you were looking for. It’s outside of the main shopping districts and close to some government buildings. Nonetheless, it’s quite well known to the locals and a real treat to visit.

The shop was founded in 1780, but it wasn’t until 1820 when it was moved to its present location on via Medina, where it’s currently spread across two buildings. The main shop holds a range of clothing, footwear, and accessories that would satisfy the taste of any businessman or outdoorsman. Here you see mannequins with waxed field jackets and floppy cotton hats. Fine leather bags decorate the tops of old wooden shelves, which in turn hold stacks of neatly stacked, soft, woolen knits.

Read more here

ljrcustom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Great write up. Thanks for sharing.

-LR

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Great shop, visited it a couple of years ago :)

Only thing I got from there were these.

brax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I returned from a recent trip to Naples and was very impressed with Cilento. It is criminally under-appreciated. This may have something to do with it being quite far from the center of the commercial district. In fact, I stumbled upon it in search of a pizza joint nearby. I bought a few items which I'll post here but my favorite is with my USA tailor who is adjusting the sleeve length of a reversible rain jacket lined with loden cashmere. I'll post that when available sometime in February/March. But for the time being here are a few other items: Six-fold self-tipped. There is a tactile difference between this silk and that of my other ties. I cannot really describe it other than to say that if feels more substantial. This was a tie that they gave me as a present. They learned that I was a lawyer and they have ties specific to many professions. The motif here is worn on the robe of Italian barristers (not sure if this was done historically or done currently). I'm not sure what to call this other than the bastard child of a cravat and a scarf. It is made of whisper thin silk and worn around the neck to protect against the cold. I haven't worn it yet and probably will not wear it often but I'm really looking forward to the right occasion to do so.

brax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So the forecast today was for cool temperatures with a 50% chance of rain. That provided the perfect opportunity to break out the jacket that I bought at Cilento last year. It is reversible with loden cashmere on one side and a waterproof, tan canvas on the other. I have already used the cashmere side and will probably test the canvas side this afternoon.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads