• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

STYLEFORUM AWARDS 2018 || Worst Trend of 2018

STYLEFORUM AWARDS 2018 || WORST TREND OF 2018

• Ugly sneakers

• Loafers without socks

• Polo shirts under sport coats

• White trousers in winter

• Tailoring under Barbour

• Hawaiian shirts under jackets

Results are only viewable after voting.

Styleforum Ari

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
Looking back at the past months, there's been a lot of weird stuff going on in the fashion industry and even in our classic menswear niche. Some forumites embraced a few of these trends, while others couldn't stand them.
This is the time to make your voice heard and choose the two most hated trends of 2018.
These are the nominees:

Ugly sneakers
ugly sneakers.jpg

Loafers without socks
loafers.jpg

Polo shirts under sport coats
polo.jpg

White trousers in winter
white.jpg

Tailoring under Barbour
tie.jpg

Hawaiian shirts under jackets
hawaii.jpg

If you haven't already, vote for the Styleforum Award "Best up-and-coming brand of the year" here.

Substanceoverstyle

Reaction score
Honestly, about wearing loafers without socks, poloshirts (what about popovers?) and Hawaii shirts under sportcoats, if those are the worst trends fashion has to offer then I think we're doing just fine. I've seen these 3 options all pulled off rather successively by SF members. Of course it can give a terrible look if done wrong, but that goes for everything. Note that these "trends" are also strictly happening in the casual wear department, where I think there is much more leeway and way less rules. This compared to formal business wear, where I personally apply a lot more conservatism. Which is why also hate the trend there of wearing "ironically" multicolored socks under navy business suits, although that trend is older then 2018, courtesy of Justin Trudeau among others.

ebayhtl

Reaction score
Honestly, about wearing loafers without socks, poloshirts (what about popovers?) and Hawaii shirts under sportcoats, if those are the worst trends fashion has to offer then I think we're doing just fine. I've seen these 3 options all pulled off rather successively by SF members. Of course it can give a terrible look if done wrong, but that goes for everything. Note that these "trends" are also strictly happening in the casual wear department, where I think there is much more leeway and way less rules. This compared to formal business wear, where I personally apply a lot more conservatism.
This +1.

Purplelabel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Rugby shirts over oxford shirts. What is that all about?

Rugby-Shirts-Body-Image-2.jpg

Tailoring under Barbour should be banned.

Chunky "dad shoes" and logo plastered 'high fashion'

Jumper wrapped around shoulders over tailoring.

Mid-Season-1.jpg

I like Drake's but c'mon wtf.

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Loafers without socks and polo shirts under sport coats? hardly a 2018 trend!

Hawaiian shirts under suits may not be a new thing either but something I noticed clearly being foisted upon the public to a ridiculous degree by the likes of GQ

Mid-Season-1.jpg

Haha some good (bad) suggestions there PL!

7_rocket

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ugly shoes and the rugby shirts are funny. The rest are fine with me

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Mid-Season-1.jpg

*climbs on top of a mountain*

*raises bullorn*

*puts another bullhorn in front of the first bullhorn*

lookbooks, fashion shows, and runways aren't always meant to be literal outfit suggestions!!!!!!!!!!

thank you for coming to my ted talk

A Canuker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
After looking at these photo's can I add pushing up sleeves on a jacket? Come on, if it is so warm that one has to undo 60% of the buttons on your shirt you might want to take the jacket off....

Purplelabel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
After looking at these photo's can I add pushing up sleeves on a jacket? Come on, if it is so warm that one has to undo 60% of the buttons on your shirt you might want to take the jacket off....

Yeah but this looks sick.
402BDA92-075A-48D7-B8C8-27BAEA348851.jpeg

emptym

Reaction score
^Yeah, they're pretty ugly and wtf-inspiring. But I think that's part of being cool: pretending you don't care. It's a short step from sprezzatura to normcore to over the top, in your face ugly.

Of the things listed, polos under suit/sport coats is my least favorite. The one not listed that irritated me last year was people wearing sport coats and matching their ties to their pants, such as navy ties with navy pants.

whorishconsumer

King Douche
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This poll and thread is the equivalent of “get off my lawn”, but with a North Korean flare.

If only we could spin up production of suits made out of potato-sacks...

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
To me, the ugly sneakers is the worst. All of the others I can see why some ppl would do, but I can’t get behind Balenciaga or other fashion branded sneakers that look like that.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Of course, Lino gets a pass when it comes to jackets and polos because he's, you know, Lino.

AB2.jpg

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Patagonia vests on barclays employees

images.jpeg

or really any non-tailored corporate uniform

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads