1. Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.

STYLEFORUM AWARDS 2018 || Worst Trend of 2018

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by StyleforumRobot, Jan 2, 2019.

STYLEFORUM AWARDS 2018 || WORST TREND OF 2018

1. Ugly sneakers

2. Loafers without socks

3. Polo shirts under sport coats

4. White trousers in winter

5. Tailoring under Barbour

6. Hawaiian shirts under jackets

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. whorishconsumer

whorishconsumer Distinguished Member

I'll take it.

2. benjamin831

benjamin831 Distinguished Member

Even the most egregious "trend" by the OP is better than 90% of what the average joe wears in the US.

3. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Mahatma Jawndi Dubiously Honored

I don't know if it's that conceptual. Meaning, I don't think it's all a prank and I don't think he's trying to make a statement about beauty. It's more that, when he started coming out as his own designer, the industry was just very, very serious. And then streetwear was rising. So his clothes are partly a way to incorporate streetwear into high fashion (he was one of the first to really put that on the main stage). And partly to make fashion less stuffy, less conceptual, and less high minded. It's all very low brow stuff.

Again, I think the clothes can be fun if you're into the wink wink of it all, although some people also take it very seriously. Like, they're buying this stuff because they think it actually looks good or it's the in-fashion thing or whatever. Which makes it all very confusing cause, again, you can't tell if someone wearing it now is in on the joke or the butt of the joke.

But I also feel like it's that joke where someone shouts "PLAY FREEBIRD" at a serious concert. Like, the first time it's funny. Might even be funny if they shout it one more time, like "NO SERIOUSLY PLAY FREEBIRD!" But we're in like the tenth shouting now and I actually want to hear the person on stage, who actually plays good music. I would much rather be back at at a time when people are talking about Rick Owens, Margiela, Lemaire, or any of the other people who are genuinely trying to make a statement about beauty. Demna isn't really trying to make a statement, he's just shouting the same joke.

4. 7_rocket

7_rocket Distinguished Member

I wear my parka over my suit when its' cold AF. Function over form. No one will say anything outside of this forum. You're fine

5. Chaconne

Chaconne Senior Member

Yeah, I wonder how many of those who hate tailoring under Barbour just really hate Barbour.

6. bry2000

bry2000 Distinguished Member

Some of the Demna stuff I have handled is beautifully made with impressive details. Maybe a joke is being made in his current work, but he is a serious designer with real talent.

7. bry2000

bry2000 Distinguished Member

I love Barbour and own many pieces. But I would never wear them with a city suit. I would think most SF people have other options in their wardrobe.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2019 at 7:44 AM

8. MrUnderwood

MrUnderwood Senior Member

Because it is not a thing. The only two grave mistakes of those listed here are ugly sneakers and loafers without socks. :)

9. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Mahatma Jawndi Dubiously Honored

I didn't say he's not a real designer or that his clothes are poorly made. I said his designs are dumb and they're meant to be dumb.

10. Purplelabel

Purplelabel Distinguished Member

They’re wrong if they do then :D

11. beargonefishing

beargonefishing Distinguished Member

12. ColinYB

ColinYB Member

New to the forum (and thread) but really, ugly sneakers are the only mistake. It's close to impossible to make them look good

Every thing else can be made to look good, even to some extent and for some people the Hawaiian shirt under jacket

13. Gus

Gus Stylish Dinosaur Dubiously Honored

A friend opened up a menswear store in a suburb of San Francisco six years ago. He had a ton of guys of all ages ask him, "How do I roll up the cuffs of my shirt" often followed by "I can never get it right".

14. double00

double00 Distinguished Member

i fell hard for those eyes