1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Styleforum at Paris Market Week 2016 - Capsule, Tranoi, Man Shows

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Synthese, Jan 8, 2016.

1. OccultaVexillum

OccultaVexillum Well-Known Member

Oh ok. I spent 30 hours in Paris a few years ago and that was the one non-landmark place I really wanted to check out but I never made it.

2. GusW

GusW Well-Known Member

3. Parker

Parker Well-Known Member

this might be outdated now, but I rented an apt in LQ about 8 yrs ago and walked to a place called Le Pre Verre which was pretty nice, good but unpretentious. There was also another more locals place right across from our apt that was great, rustic fare. filled with locals drinking too much wine and smoking like chimneys. food was goood and atmosphere was fun. I'll try to dig up the name.

I like to stay around Rue Vavin the last couple times I went to Paris. It seems a little quieter, maybe more yuppie. haha. But they also had some great patisseries and chocolatiers. Plus it's next to Luxembourg Gardens.

Does Lemaire have a showroom or store? Maybe visit Berluti? :)

4. GusW

GusW Well-Known Member

The Heschung and Paraboot boutiques. Much broader assortment of dress, street and field shoes than you will see anywhere in the US.

Several Parisian eyewear brands have shops around Paris. Although some of them like Lafaont are sold around the world, the colors and materials in the Paris boutiques can't be beat. There is something about the eyewear in Paris that reflects a unique Parisian style.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2016
  5. t3hg0suazn

t3hg0suazn Well-Known Member

Shakespeare & Co is cool and near where you're staying. I remember Fuuma mentioned the Lagerfeld book store (Studio 7L) as well; it was closed on my free day.

L'Avant Comptoir is cool, really unique to Paris, and good to have a French speaker accompanying: wine bar that's literally a corridor with counters on both sides. Each "plate" is a tag hanging from the ceiling. You get the bartender to notice you, open a tab, and start ordering whatever you want. They also have huge selection of Natural Wines at good rates. Their butter (free) is really good. Also blood sausage macaron, foie gras with cherries (all the food is heavy). If you go in evenings it will be crowded as fuck. In non-standard dining hours it'll be less packed with less locals.

I can provide copious details on restaurants that are already hyped up, though they're all spread out (mostly in East Bank) so don't know anything else in Latin Quarter off the top of my head (Relais de l'Entrecote is kind of near?).

Coffee:
    1. Loustic — good single origin espresso of the week (Belgian roaster Caffè Nation), not too sour like most. Has wifi and room in the back. The owner was training a cute barista during the morning off hours. He’s super obsessed with details, which I approve of.
    1. KB CaféShop (formerly Kooka Boora) — my other favorite espresso (Five Elephant roaster), lots of crema. No wifi on weekends (probably for the better), might get crowded during prime tourist hours. It’s on a nice corner of Rue de Martyrs with an impressive little market on Sunday morning.
    3. Ten Belles — Belleville Brulerie/Bodybuilder blend of Costa Rican beans. Good flavors, just a hint of sour. No wifi, small space but not cramped. Everything run by one woman when I was there.
    3. Boot Café — a darker blend (Café Lomi’s Bordeaux blend), lots of crema. Similar to KB in taste. Very cramped, no wifi, run by single woman.
    5. Holybelly — also Belleville/Bodybuilder, slightly sour but maybe that’s just the beans. Has wifi. Seems this place is known for brunch and has crazy lines if you go in peak hours.
    6. L’Arbe à Café — 3€ for a single shot of single origin Ethiopia Yergacheffe so it’s quite expensive. The shot was prepared with care and did taste good. This place is more for selling beans so there’s no sitting room and inconvenient hours.
    7. Espressamente Illy — I went here just to calibrate. Basically everything is machine programmed. Surprisingly it tastes pretty much like a traditional Italian espresso, but it’s the same price as all these other cafes so only come if in the area.
    8. Fondation Café — another Belleville/Bodybuilder espresso, but quite sour for me. No wifi, only a little room inside, a few seats outside (people-watching?).
    9. Coutume — double espresso came in a huge cup which I dislike, shot was sour in a “badly pulled shot” way rather than anything to do with beans. I didn’t like their Tokyo location either. Crowded but once you get a seat there’s wifi so you can hang around.
    Telescope was closed for renovation but it looks like it’ll reopen soon.

For photos, probably best to just wander aimlessly and get lost, taking candids as you go?

Oh, and if you liked Pierre Herme in Tokyo, there's one on every block in Paris.

Challenge: SF team fit pic at the Louvre pyramid.

6. basil rathbone

basil rathbone Well-Known Member

^Co-sign

Also just thought of something else you should hit up. Le Comptoir General by Canal St Martin. No sign or anything outside, kinda an alley entrance. Restaurants and vintage clothes and pretty much everything. Lots of African stuff. Everything in there is for sale. Cool place, even just to pop your head in for a few mins.

7. Fuuma

Fuuma Well-Known Member

The Broken Arm
    Tom Greyhound

L'Éclaireur people are nice when they know you well, I often meet friends at Hérold before going to a few of our fav restaurants in the area and we just shoot the shit, try silly stuff and trade banter. They serve you champagne/coffee/whatever and it is a relaxed atmosphere.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2016
  8. Fuuma

Fuuma Well-Known Member

There are several good high-end vintage shops, my favourites being Thank God I'm a VIP and Pretty box. You also have some more regular ones full of Chanel and Hermès.

9. Homme

Homme Well-Known Member

IIRC just off blvd saint germain on rue de l'ecole de medecin there's 'patisserie viennoise', ignore the two ogresses that work there, the gingerbread is the best i've ever had. Dense enough to stop a bullet. The 'cornes' (horns) with poppyseed (pavot) or walnut filling are also amazing. But have the gingerbread.

10. Fuuma

Fuuma Well-Known Member

Lemaire has a store, will have a showroom during PFW.

11. Fuuma

Fuuma Well-Known Member

1 person likes this.
  12. TheNeedMachine

TheNeedMachine Well-Known Member

The 13 Bonaparte boutique may be worth a look. Picked up a waxed cotton jacket from them last year that I quite like.

13. riton

riton Well-Known Member

You have to try several parisians pastry shops : Pierre Hermé, Sadaharu Aoki (Japanese touch on French pastries), Aux Merveilleux de Fred, des Gateaux et du Pain, Eclair de Génie, La Patisserie des Reves.

It's worth it ! You'll burn the calories in no time with all the trips to clothes shops :)

14. GusW

GusW Well-Known Member

This is beautiful!

15. kindofyoung

kindofyoung Well-Known Member

@Fuuma have you ever posted photos of your apartment when it isn't just the background of fitpics? Would be cool to see

16. Synthese

Synthese Darth Millennial

Haven't been to the Marché aux Puces in forever, but I don't think that I'm going to have the time to head all the way out on this trip.

We'll be right next to cluny-la-sorbonne, which means I can maybe find the time to sneak into my favorite museum (unicorns). I am definitely going to Sadaharu Aoki.

1 person likes this.
  17. riton

riton Well-Known Member

18. Synthese

Synthese Darth Millennial

Anyone know the deal with prepaid sim cards/etc? last time I checked it was a pain in the ass.

19. t3hg0suazn

t3hg0suazn Well-Known Member

This place is legit: http://www.cellhire.com/ based in Texas. I know someone whose used it; due to some shipping mishap I cancelled my order and just used AT&T's international passport plan instead (much less data though, but being able to make phone calls was nice).

1 person likes this.
  20. badeggcat

badeggcat Well-Known Member

I was able to get a SFR prepaid card over the counter with no questions, registration, etc. 9 or 10 euro for the card and another 10 euro for 1GB of data.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2016
    1 person likes this.