• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Which type of bag would you like the best?

• Leather

Votes: 3 75.0%
  • Canvas/Fabric

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • Denim

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Suede

• Nylon

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Vngl

Reaction score
Hello!
I am currently looking for a bag that complements the "young chic professional" look I'm trying to strive for this new year. But I'm not sure when to start...

Please help! It would be nice if the people here could share their thoughts and advice on this as well :) Alternatively, it could just be a good discussion.

- Are there any types of bags that you like to carry with you to work? (haversack/luggage/briefcase/tote?)
- What are the reasons behind your preference?
- Do you have some types of material/brands you'd prefer your bags to have?

For me, I think I would prefer tote bags to backpacks because it will look more professional, especially when I go to work. Backpacks tend to crumple my clothes more because of the weight, and backpacks will look more casual in my opinion... what do you guys think?

I might change my preference after reading some solid advice! Who knows...

C.YoungII

Reaction score
I think this may come down to what your needs/use for a bag are. What do you plan on carrying in it? Will you be using it everyday?

I have a leather tote bag from Coach that I find to be extremely versatile. I can fit my pens, papers, portfolios and other work related junk into it as well as my lunch and snacks. I can easily pack an outfit or two into it if I'm heading away for the weekend though I rarely use it for that. It's held up extremely well over the few years I've had it and that's with every day use.

johng70

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It absolutely depends on how you will use it. Let's face it, you have to understand what functionality is required before you start looking at the form. Professionally, I take a bound notebook, tablet and laptop to/from work. So, a bag with a simple divider is enough for my functional needs. Beyond that, I wanted it to look good but be extremely durable. I decided on a Saddleback briefcase. It's fantastic, but it's heavy. Any leather is going to get scuffed, so you want to be sure if you pick a leather you pick a style and leather type that actually looks good scarred. I also wanted something extremely well made so I like the 100 year warranty (so look for anything that is lifetime warranty). But, depending on what you need to carry in it that will determine what types of organization and size are required. If I were doing more executive meetings or a law professional I might have chosen a less rugged approach to my bag. Also, if I were a public transportation commuter I would want a separate compartment for headphones (or other personal electronics or book, whatever). I'm less in favor of Saddleback as a company now since they are no longer made in America (they are made in Mexico now I believe) - but that might not matter to you. I will say this - if you want to appear professional, don't combine your work bag with your gym bag. My wife is a sales professional. She needs to take product samples and documentation with her - so organization is key - she uses a very different design for her bag than I do.

johng70

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
From a durability standpoint - quality leather, canvas (depending on the canvas) are tops. There's nothing professional about Nylon bags, and denim/suede also don't impress me as professional materials. Lots of leather choices, if you want canvas style - look into Filson.

KeyserSoze

Reaction score
If you are just starting to wear this way, I would recommend to begin with experiments :) Look for something at eBay, buy few bags, test them, choose one or two and sell the rest.

I carry to work briefcase or duffle bag. It depends on if I'm able to fit in everything I need. Both sewn from full grain leather. I believe it is one of the most classy and formal choice.
If you are looking for something less formal, try bags sewn from canvas / cotton twill. The same models sewn from canvas are much less formal than sewn from full grain leather.

I would rather not carry backpack to work if dress code is formal or semi - formal. There are some nice leather backpacks, but I prefer to use it during vacation instead of work :)

Matteo_

Reaction score
For a very long time I was using a briefcase but there was not enough room inside so I switch to tote. Right now briefcase is for official meetings and tote is for everyday use.

Briefcase - dark brown nappa leather.
Tote - grey suede and black nappa leather.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads